I’ve been toting around the KOR ONE Hydration Vessel for a week and the first thing someone said to me was, “that’s a water bottle? Looks pretty spacey man.” Yes it does look quite futuristic and some have even accused me of being wasteful – all that pretty packaging and design just to hold water. What gives? Hit the jump to read my review.
Over a million plastic water bottles end up in U.S. landfills everyday so if you really want to be green, you should be using some refillable vessel. Water is (for the most part) free, disposable plastic bottles aren’t so you end up saving money by using your own container. So what makes this $30 bottle different from the cheapo plastic ones?
Most refillable water bottles are made of Polycarbonate (PC), even though scientists have known for years that Bisphenol-A (BPA), a chemical used in the PC manufacturing process, leaches into whatever liquid goes inside. BPA is a known hormone-disruptor that’s been linked to birth defects. Mounting evidence suggests that even small quantities pose major health risks.
The team at RKS Design evaluated glass, acrylic, and many other substances. They eventually found a new material that featured the clarity and performance of polycarbonate without the dangers of BPA called Tritan.
Aside from proudly wearing its BPA FREE label, the KOR ONE is designed to be ergonomic. All those soft curves make it easy to grab, hold, carry, and set. The bottom is cushioned by a rubber ring. The handle comfortably curves around your grip. The cap unsnaps with a push of a button and clicks tightly when you shut it. The spout is also curved and sized perfectly to assist the flow of water into your thirsty mouth.
Wait, that’s not all. Underneath that cap is a space for a KOR stone; an inspirational message you can swap out. Mine says “Better Me, Better World.” AIN’T THAT THE TRUTH! There are also a couple blanks in there for your own personal messages like, “JUST SAY NO!” Sorry, Nancy Reagan moment there.
What we liked:
- Holds 750 ml of water. Drink a little over 2 of them to fulfill your daily requirement
- Extremely durable plastic that’s lightweight. A lot lighter than you think despite its bulk
- BPA FREE, no poisons leaching into my drinking water thank you
- Comfy carrying handle
- Rubber base is a nice touch, feels like quality when I set it down
- Wide mouth for drinking
- Dishwasher safe! Gotta love that
- KOR stone concept is a great way to give yourself reminders before every sip
What could be improved
- The price ($30) for a plastic water bottle is a little crazy but you are getting something beautifully designed. $1 of every purchase goes back to the environment, and it’s BPA FREE. Finding a sexy BPA FREE water bottle was already challenging enough.