MacGyver Tries iPod Speakers

With all the hot-to-trot conceptual design work out there, it takes quite a person to just sit back and kick out the jams on a speaker set like this. Presenting the iPod Ghetto Accessory. iPod with classic earbuds, two toothpicks, no girls, and four cups. What else could a person ask for?

Designer Dmitry Zagga pokes fun at the concept of product design
conceptualization:

This is a fun project. Four single-serving paper cups, two tooth picks (for holding cups together) + iPod with classic earbuds. The increase in volume, of coarse, is radiculous, but hey, you get stylish iPod accessory out of nothing!

Can we trust a person who totally just MacGyvers up a speaker system out of cups and toothpics? Yes.

Yes we can.

Designer: Dmitry Zagga

• Carl says:

The same can be achieved with a sheet of A4. this is nothing but Blue Peter/art attack design tho. no potential matket for this.

• Armin says:

AWESOME!
    Maybe you could amplify the sound even more by filling the base with water (something like those water jugs in ancient Greece)…
    And plastic cups seem tor resonate better

• well, yes. Original idea came when we were hanging out in a hotel room with friends, and all the music we had was just an iPod with earphones.
      So i made the CupSpeakers from plastic cups.
      And with plastic cups the amplification was quite significant.
      I choose paper for visualising the concept, cause they bigger and looks better.
      thanks.

• Devin says:

Thats a very cool idea. I have done similar experiments and it does work. It wont sound amazing but for a small budget its totally worth it!

• zippyflounder says:

Shows that making it work is far more important than how it looks. Rember this little experiment when viewing Ipod docking solutions (or other products), how much of it is just “tinsle and glitter”?

• Jess Beaner says:

Wonder how it compares to the $200 Bose set! LOL

jess

• who comes up with stuff like that, I love it 🙂

• Sexy and Sleek! Now you just need some guy in a black turtleneck demonstrating it’s sexy curves and quality features against a white background!

• Anonyhaüs says:

I was hospitalized a couple of years ago and I paid to have access to that small hospital TV. One day, I had guests who came to visit and we wanted to watch a Star Wars movie that was playing, so I invented the same “MacGyver-esque” speaker so that everyone could listen.

It really sounded awful, and with no amplification, we couldn’t hear jack.

• ntopics says:

Very cool idea using the cups to amplify the
    ear speaker sound. Going to try that one myself.

thanks from tony

• Munwar Khan says:

hey good Fun with design.. Even I made one for me.

• Jems says:

i love it, if youre not already in indusrial design, you should be…

• DL says:

Nice photos of the merch!

• I do something similar with my iPhone: I slip a toilet tissue tube over the bottom of it, which does a better job of focusing the sound from the tiny speaker in one direction. (It doesn’t really amplify it though, unless the open end is pointing at you.) The tube fits perfectly.

• Chung Dha says:

Is not new though had made some years ago as child playing around. Though not so special because you can use allot of thing to amplify sounds.

• web says:

Does it work with other mp3 players?

• mduzhev says:

Помоему вопрос обсосан с ног до головы, человек выжал всё что можно, за что ему cпасибо!

• nothing3 says:

I am sure it work with all mp3 players or CD player
    I tried with A4 paper when I was in high school.

nice idea 😀 Love It

• AStaszek says:

Similar project, for iPhone: http://zuzga.nazwa.pl/?p=475

• piment says:

nice idea… excellent

• Student_96 says:

Hi, I am a year 10 GCSE student in England and I was wondering if I would be allowed to use this idea for my ICT coursework? The website would be credited and acknowledged for the idea and the copyright would be noted.

• zarah says:

Hello, i am a student doing GCSE ICT and the work is on recycling and upcycling and you have a website which is coryrighted but is very useful so can i please use an image i will source the picture if permission is gained, only the examiner, me and the teacher will see it.
    Please can you let me know as soon as possible
    With Regards
    Zarah

• Sure, do it.

Would be interesting to see the results, so, pleae, contact me.
      Its better if you contact me over e-mail.
      my e-mail is on my webpage.

Cheers!

• Becca says:

I am also doing that ict course and was wondering if I too, could use this idea and image. If allowed, you would be credited. 🙂

• Tarkan says:

I am doing ICT coursework too 😛 and i was wondering if i could use a copyrighted image from the website, if permission is granted, i will credit you, thanks.
    Get back to me as soon as possible please.

• Hi i am a year 10 student at northwood college (a school in london) And as part of my controlled assessment I have to research three upcycled products which will be part of my plans for a charity event.

I would like your permission to use your idea and of course I will credit your website.

Please let me know whether i will be able to do this!

Thankyou

Ria Rughani

• Riaa says:

Dear sir/madam

As part of my GCSE ICT project, I was looking on your website for upcycled products and I saw your DIY speakers which interested me very much.

As part of my controlled assessment I have to research three upcycled products

Please inform me on whether I will be able to do this

Thankss
    Riaa

• Siya says:

I am doing a GCSE ICT Controlled Assessment and my task is to find three upcycled products to use for my project and I was wondering if I could use your Ipod Speakers as a part of my project.
    I would like your permission to use your idea. I will reference this website and acknowledge you wherever needed.
    Yours sincerely
    Siya Sagar

• Nick says:

I'm not doing a ICT assessment and i dont want to use your images.

Just a dude wanting to say its a nice and simple idea.

Yours sincerely

Guywholikesyouridea

• that kid says:

hi
    im am i student in year 10 and i was wondering if i would be able to use the pictures for some courcework i am doing on upcycling as i feel your product would be an appropriate choice

• anotherguy says:

ditto.

• Hi there to every body, it’ѕ my first νisit of thiѕ weblog; thks blog
    includes amazing and in fact good data for visitօrs.