Double Pane LCD Screens

Now why didn’t I think of that? Sure, there are companies working on “3D-ish” screens but the technology is ridiculously expensive. Why not take a more literal approach and layer two glass LCDs together. This creates a sense of depth when graphics are overlayed. The technology could be expanded to other devices too like interactive maps and slider mobile phones. Pipe dreams but I like the way Mac Funamizu thinks – boundless and limitless.

Designer: Mac Funamizu

• Canastrophy says:

CURSES! THEY FOUND MY SKETCHBOOK!

I’ve been thinking about doing that for 3 YEARS!

• Quantum Tiger says:

I think this is simply awesome for some strange reason. I would love to see it in function just to see how thick it would really end up being and if its “me safe”. In other words would my clumsiness and bad luck with objects break this very easily…I’d still probably buy it in anyway. Lol, but its not made.

• M72 says:

only two layers? =)

• Carl says:

nothing new here, nighttime use only..

• Keith says:

I don’t really see the point.

• CurtJ says:

Please advise.

• Alp says:

”I don’t really see the point in taking the time to say ‘I don’t really see the point’.
    Please advise.”

I see the point..its pointy

• Speedevil says:

Because LCDs don’t work that way.
    The graphics above show a nice clear bright LCD panel that’s transparent.
    Real ones aren’t.
    Firstly, they have red,green, and blue pixels, which are turned clear to show the appropriate colour.

Red light hitting a green pixel is absorbed.
    Due to the polariser (required for the physics) it’s not even as good as 1/3 of the light getting through, it’s 1/6th.

And that’s the theoretical best.

1/6th * 1/6th of light that you started out with is not very large.

• Nice idea, and it does work. This technology has been available commercially for a number of years from a New Zealand company origianlly called Deep Video, founded in 1999, and now known as Pure Depth: http://www.puredepth.com/sub_tech_what.html

• Magdy says:

Brilliant idea but I have to wonder how feasible it would be to put out something like that for something practical like a video game machine or pmp.