Move Over Grand Central, WTC Transport Hub Revealed

Last week, the Port Authority of New York, New Jersey, and Santiago Calatrava released revised renderings of the World Trade Center Transportation Hub. I’ve always been enamored with the grand hubs of Europe so it’s about time we got something new.

As grand as this is, it’s hard to imagine this plan is scaled back, YES SCALED BACK. Gone are the sweeping column-free span, originally envisioned by the Spanish architect known for his expressionistic structures. Tapered columns have been added. The sad thing is the skylights, which were to bring natural light into the mezzanine have also been eliminated. Boo!

A number of reasons contributed to the scaled back plans, namely being cost and timeline. The original plan called for uncalled for amounts of steel and in today’s economy, cost projections sky rocketed. The new hub needs to be completed by 2012; tho that sounds far away, it really is only right around the corner. Even tho Calatrava’s original idea has been revised, I really hope it stands up to New York’s Grand Central. It could be a modern testament to urban mass transportation and give the city new architectural wonders to love.

Designer: Santiago Calatrava

• powers says:

Calatrava does some incredible stuff. Too bad his vision had to take backseat to cost. Looks like it will be nice, though.

• p says:

compromises aside, i think it looks awesome. especially that cathedral-esque space in that last pic. And the totally white interior really brightens the place up. (although I hope it ages well, I know white things tend to get dirty first)

I don't think i'd ever guess that the design had to be neutered.

• Curves says:

Its a lovely design, open and light, but the practical side of my has to ask (again), How are you going to keep it clean? It looks like a window washers nightmare.

• Gee-Jay says:

Cool! I know Calatrava – actually his two sons Raphael and Gabriel. They're from Zurich, Switzerland but live all over the globe.

Santiago Calatrava has also designed the Stauffacher Railwaystation (just one stop with the S-Bahn from the mainstation in Zurich). It kind of has a HR Gyger touch, I think. To be found under "past projects" on Calatrava.com

I just love his architecture! More, more, more!

• Dr.Blip says:

I wonder who's gonna loan them the cash to build this? There is no more money people!!! 🙂

• JHUara says:

great.. i always love his design…

• Daniel says:

I live in Valencia, Calatrava’s home town. We have bridges, buildings and subway stations from him. The expenses won’t be 33% higher but probably 300%… That “white beautiful thing” won’t last long and once it’s finished you’ll start counting the flaws. His last bridge in Venice (Italy) wasn’t even officially unveiled due to protests expected, there were some problems also years ago with a bridge here in Valencia (the roadway cracked during the load tests) and some similar problems with another bridge in Bilbao (it was not ready for disabled, the local goverment made some changes and Calatrava sued them). Our Calatrava subway station was white and bright (and expensive) ten years ago. Now it’s grey and ugly. Can’t imagine in 10 more years…
    I hope you get better luck! But don’t expect to see it finished until 2020

• icon design says:

Excuse, that I interrupt you, but, in my opinion, there is other way of the decision of a question.

P.S. Please review our icons for Windows and windows12icons.