The Age of Aquarius… in Sprinkling

While automatic lawn and crop sprinklers have existed for some time, the Aquarius takes automatic watering to a new level. While current automatic sprinklers activate on a time-based schedule, Aquarius detects moisture levels in the soil and waters according to changing conditions. No more sprinkling in rainstorms for you!

As its designers, Aydin Oztoprak and Ozgur Ruhi Ulvan put it: “According to the soil, crop and weather characteristics [Aquarius] automatically adjusts the water flow. It is solar powered and remote managed. With its humidity sensors attached to its shaft, it detects the humidity at different levels of soil. Aquarius aims to deliver most efficient way of irrigation as agricultural irrigation consumes most of world`s water resources. Although it is an professional outdoor equipment Aquarius combines style, technology and functionality in its design.”

Although you may be frowning at those garage-sale pipe-colors, you’ll love the way Aquarius does business. And solar powered is always a plus. It seems as though it could hook to regular hosing, also, so the cost of these would probably be on the low side. I’d suggest that the next step is making them plantable, so that the solar panels are the only visible part and I could continue mowing my lawn, now that it’s forever perfectly watered, green and lush.

Aydin Oztoprak and Ozgur Ruhi Ulvan, can we get these produced by next summer?

Designer: Aydin Oztoprak & Ozgur Ruhi Ulvan

• Brian says:

Interesting idea but I could do without the 1998 Mac reference – it reduces the product to being something from the past and therefore not valid as a contemporary design.

• Keith says:

brass is an interesting choice.

• powers says:

Isn’t brass the de-facto irrigation coupling material? Anyway, I love it when true pro designs get posted here. it’s encouraging and inspiring. This one is no exception. Bravo for combined use of materials and moderation of high-tech components. MIT grad. Figures.

• thank you for the comments. We designed Aquarius mainly for agricultural applications to irrigate large fields. The pipes are above the ground because of the drop irrigation, which is the most efficient way of irrigating crop fields.

For lawn irrigation with sprinklers it is possible to make the design “plantable”.

• Ahmet Bektes says:

really good idea and well designed product… perfect…

• charles says:

this would be useful in developing countries to help reduce the water wastage of an already limited resource.

• hfbn says:

Hi! Excellent design, it is an idea or it really works? I’m working in something similar (electronically not in the design area).

Very good.

• Al says:

Hi,
    Very nice! Where can we buy it ?

-Al.

• eng_kachamachkov says:

Hi im wondering what if i need to find the inventor of this and funed it ? Is that possible ?

• You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be
    really something that I think I would never understand.
    It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I’m looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!