Timbercalls

It is probably the single most touched item in your daily arsenal. Our mobile phones are our lifelines and the closest thing to an adult security blanket we have. With all this daily interaction with a device, mobile phone makers are constantly looking for new ways of creating an even tighter emotional bond with your phone. One of the first things we think of (mostly subconsciously) when picking out a new mobile phone, is how it feels in your hands. You can make the most technically advanced gadget this planet has ever seen, but if it feels weird in your hands, your design will end up DOA. A perfect example of form over function is the Motorola RAZR, arguably the best selling mobile phone in history. It had one of the worst user interfaces ever created but felt damn good in your hands and that propelled it to its now legendary place in gadget history. Designers Hyun Jin Yoon and Eun Hak Lee have created a camera phone concept covered in thin wooden film. With the now requisite inclusion of touch sensitive buttons that light up just below the surface. This “Maple Phone” design measures 4.5 x 10.4 x 9.8 cm and slides open for more multi-media applications. With a soft, natural touch, this phone hope to bridge that coveted emotional bond.

Designer: Hyun Jin Yoon & Eun Hak Lee [ Via: Toys & Gadget ]

• Jack Eckou says:

its ugly

• zippyflounder says:

the feel of wood can be great, but not with sharp edges and corners. If this concept was more scuptural and organic in form it MIGHT have a chance. The mockup is very lame, the key pad looks like they were hand drawn with a marker pen and shows no real thought or mention of how they would function. Nope its a dud in my book, try again kids.

• sebr7 says:

it isn´t a good design, those sharp edges y your pocket? not nice. it is a box with LEDs

• Ethan says:

Just because it’s made of wood doesn’t mean it has to be constrained like it is. Cut the goofy out of it and make it a normal slider phone.

• deanween8 says:

not so elegant and fragile as I’d want it to look. And the photoshopping of red numbers on top of the surface is just an afterthought……..this is in a class with Karim Rashid designs.

• Shiella says:

Better to make the lcd wider…However I think this idea bring classic effect to the product.

• kiran says:

plain horrible. as someone pointed out, the edges are not rounded. not exactly something i’d want to put in my pocket. ouch! And it doesn’t look comfortable to hold in the hand. Just because it utilized wood film, doesn’t mean it has to look like a plank. Something ergonomically sculpted to fit the hand like a computer mouse would be a nice idea. The LCD is far too small to compete with modern phones.

But I think a wood plated phone, especially out of a nice hardwood that can withstand key scrapes and the like is an excellent idea. Or why not just sculpt the phone entirely out of a real wood like Mahogony?

• Andy says:

It doesn’t new idea. I saw more than 4 mobiles like this

• jin_woo_han says:

고이즈미 모 됐다며요 ! 콩글레출레이션!

• mason says:

I love it and i want it also casue its so differnt from everyone elses phone they always go out and buy fance phones that no one can really aford. were can i get it?

• Robby says:

do you call this a design? an wooden brick? then everything would go with wooden brick.
    wooden brick laptop, wooden brick mouse, wooden brick ipod, wooden brick digital camera,
    and so on. why don’t they just do it?

• jp says:

absolutely retarded

• love it but wouldn’t buy it though

• MASE says:

I would love to have this phone.

• M.S.W. says:

I would agree with the other comments. This needs refinement. Rounded off edges whould be more comfortable in both the hand as well in pocket.

The user interface ( UI ) is certainly lacking in both function and visual appeal.

Since it’s stated that the surface is backlit and touch/multi-touch that is hidden when off.
    The entire surface face could become the UI and allow a more appealing input. Example being Full adjustability for interface so one could change themes (ex: Larger numbers, QWERTY keyboard for TXTng, etc.)

• Very discreet it nay look. No one would notice that this is a phone.

• jackie says:

I think this is a really cool idea i like it 🙂 I really don’t mind the sharp-ish edges it isn’t THAT big a deal. nice job

• i love my phone almost as much as I love my ipad

• i love my phone almost as much as I love my ipad

• The other day, while I was at work, my sister stole my apple ipad
    and tested to see if it can survive a 25 foot drop, just so she can be
    a youtube sensation. My iPad is now destroyed and she has 83 views.
    I know this is completely off topic but I had to share it with someone!