A Radio, Calliper Style

Like a precision calliper tool, 08 Radio by Mikael Silvanto lets you precisely find the station you want by sliding the entire radio unit up and down the scale. It’s a minor improvement and may irk some who prefer a dial but functions aside, it is nice to look at just as a stand-alone piece.

Designer: Mikael Silvanto

• Действительно интересное исполнение, интересно не меняется ли индуктивность данного контура изза близкого присудствия больших источников помех

• V says:

LOve the idea, now i wonder how big he could make this?

• TH says:

Great idea!

• steve says:

Nice idea, but very impractical. Why make something bigger in order to get a better result?? The same can be done a 100 other ways and still have a smaller product, that’s also portable.

As an art piece, nice, but for practicality, poor.

• mikael says:

Why make something when it already exists on your mobile, laptop etc. at all?? This I think is the question to ask. I wanted to design an object with function and value fitting to a radio as an object at home or the office, on the wall or on the table – a “tasklight” rather than a “flashlight”! A flashlight wouldn’t be too practical at your desk at work for example.

• Brian says:

While I usually like stuff like this, this one left me lacking – maybe because of the simplistic understanding of radio technology. The sliding piece looks far too big considering the minimal technology that would reside inside. I also have to wonder where the antenna would sit. I live in NYC and there is absolutely no way that this would work without at least a separate antenna.

• zippyflounder says:

wellllll the antenna would be the slide bar, the large size of the slide bar would also assist in making movements from say 108.9 to 108.7 with out having to steady your hand. I like it, nice desk top pice and counter to the Ipod/nano (large, external speaker) world of tiny self absorbed audio.

• duffyanneal says:

That is a cool idea. Now we need a more portable one so that my kids can use it while laying under the rear window of the car on road trips. Like I did when I was kid.

• DeadWriter says:

I like it. I’d have it on my desk. Not all electronics need to get smaller.

• Joseph says:

Haha I saw Avian and I was thinkin’ bird flu. This looks like a pretty cool radio concept wise–Seems pretty metro-sexual though.

• Jimbo says:

What an absolutely ridiculous design. Talk about form over function. What possible benefits could this arrangement bring ? I really think some so called innovative product designers need to go back to school and learn the fundamentals. This would recieve a fail from me…

• igreenspot says:

way too big, i prefer a radio that I can put it in my pocket

• Lone says:

Nice concept. Size arguments aside Im curious if the radio movement is smooth enough or the structure weighted enough so that your not moving the entire arrangement. That is usually the biggest failure in these kinds of designs.

• Lim says:

I think, the concept of having to loof for radio frequency trough the rule measurement is not bad. This concept is rather simple to understand and can be executed many more ways, it just that, which offer a sifferent ecperience in interacting with radio.

Personally, looking at the design, i would prefer to adjust the frequency with just 1 hand sliding left and right. The form seems to be requring 2 hand operated.

• Very clever, I love it! 😉

• Steve Page says:

This neither has form nor function really.

Looks like B&O on a bad day!

• Ernest says:

great, love it. perfect for the desk. where can i get one?

• GERD MARSCHNER says:

This is very reminiscent of a B&O design from the 60’s.
    Hope you don’t get sued or think it’s so original.
    Nice design