Make Sens Phone

Seeing is not always believing as mobile phones go. It’s all about the screen and how much info can be managed through the screen. But for the blind or mostly blind of the world, little thought has gone into making a phone that helps them in their journey through life. The “Sens” phone by Takumi Yoshida is a great idea who’s time has come. For the nearly blind, this phone features lighted sides that help convey different alert messages. Forgoing the use of the standard “blind man’s dimple” keyboard arrangement found on most cell phones and designing a more tactile keys distinguishable not only for the blind but for anyone trying to interact with this device.

Designer: Takumi Yoshida

• So says:

Hmm if the user were blind, the light wouldn’t really do much? But if you were saying non-blind group … I’d think majority of the user group would go for the high-tech phone rather than a “tv remote” look-a-like

• ModuleS says:

I think the editor reffered to the function of the light for the nearly blind. “For the nearly blind, this phone features lighted sides that help convey different alert messages.”

• jin_woo_han says:

THis thing shoud have its own target. I think all the product not aimed to all of human.
    For me, it is really neccesarry~! I dnt need useless functions for boasting technology!!
    I hope product Go back before when designer think about product’s essential function~!

• zippyflounder says:

good market nitch, from people that are “old” who need reading glasses but are to onery to wear them to people with malaculor degeneration its a good start. Phones with zillions of features only sell well the the japanese or the very young so a phone with useable features targeted at a market that is under serviced shows good thinking both from a design and a buisness standpoint.

• igreenspot says:

I don’t understand : “this phone features lighted sides that help convey different alert messages”, blind means can’t see, right ? what’s the use of light ? and what kind of messages will be received ? I don’t see any screen in the phone ….

• Tom says:

“But for the blind or mostly blind of the world”, the phone is also for those with visual impairment not just total blindness. Messages could mean answer phone messages.

I think this is a great design and that more effort needs to be focused on the area of design for those with different needs than the conventional user.

Good work

• Takumi says:

Just some additional information on the design from me (the designer).

The keys are TOUCH SENSITIVE as well as mechanically presseable. This way, whenever you touch a key, the product gives audio feedback of what key you are touching, reducing the chance of making mistake and constantly inform the user of what he is ABOUT TO INPUT rather than after.

I’ll be posting more information on this system on my website soon, so if you’re interested please have a look.

The side illumination is indeed to contribute to the needs of those with some degree of sight.

• Lim says:

I feel your direction is there, but, i feel your desing right now are somehow still in a very early stage of thinking.

Having a young people that is blind and compare it to an old man is a 2 total different thing. There are some preety obvious example where nowadays teen able to type our thier messages in phone with out even looking at the keypad itself.

Lets says this phone is catered for the elderly, do you expect them to remember the number they have just typed out? How sure you can help them in telling that the number they have dial is the right ones? And lookign at your keypad design, do you expect them to type out messages?

Or lets says that somehow unvelibable things happen and they blind from the start of young. Do those number graphics and keypad contour play a role? Provided they have a basic perception of what a universal keppad layout is. How about then language for the blind , the dots and bumps which help them to read the number by the finger they already have ?

Rather then involving styling ( texture, contour, etc…) alone, i think you should look at the user experince in your product design. Concept ideas of phone for the blind have been going around for many years already….

• Rosalee says:

I think your design concept is just what my Mother could use. She is legally blind in one eye and impaired in the other. The keypad design is very user friendly. The lights on the side make this phone even more appealing. I would like one for myself but with a screen feature that would show who is calling. A flip design would protect the keys but perhaps not practical for the size of the “sens phone.” The phone is large enough that the screen could be on the back of the phone or perhaps a slide out (might be too easily damaged.) A large clock for the screen would be nice also or a voice clock upon request. The draw back to a voice clock would be if you were in a meeting or similar setting. I expect the “sens phone” has a minue of sorts. I am not one to remember phone numbers and rely on my list frequently. Mother has a hard time reading phone numbers she has written down. I also like a recent calls feature and I utilize my cell phone as an alarm clock. The keypad would be awesome for a calculator if a front screen were available. The down side would be having to add the Less tools to keep track of. A camera is not a necessary feature nor are the rest of the common features on today’s cell phones.

Your phone concept is to be applauded. The keypad design should be available on house phones as well. Is the “sens phone” availabe for purchase and if so please provide a link or phone number. My Mother is currently shopping for a cell phone and I would like for her to get one that would address her needs. Small is cute but not always practical.

• Song Wei says:

Hi. I agree with what Lim has said. Maybe the design can target to a more focused target. Wouldnt it be weird if a visually disabled person use this phone be weird? The lights don’t do anything to them, they’ll probably not buy it, they could have chosen something more functional, never mind the looks.

I really do like the form and the design language. The details on the keypad looked very nice, not exaggerated at all. I thought lights on the numbers would be nice and functional

Do include photos of a person using the phone, it would be easier to visualise the size of the buttons and form

• TH says:

I like this, and it’s of course always good to see the designer here getting feedback and providing crucial extra information.

The tactile interface, as well as the lights make sense now, after reading the product website and Takumi’s comments.

One question, is the sound feedback constantly on or turned on / off? What I mean that will anything touching the phone trigger these sounds, and then if you are dialing a number (which could be done very quickly), it would only be confusing to hear the phone trying to read the numbers with inevitable delay. Good job, anyway.

• jase says:

I have had the pleasure of seeing Takumi’s prototype in its physical and working state and its really quite clever. I even think at the time I saw Takumi demonstating the concept, it was to a partially sighted user. They seemed quite happy with the audible feedback that they were receiving before actually making the input. The menu is very clever too. I Hope you visit his website and see what it realy does…

Great work Takumi, your stand at the degree show was well sweet too, jase

• ahan says:

I only wanner know when and where can I buy it?

• richard thimbleby says:

what is the phone made from?

what are the sizes, why not tell us something we need to know?

• paola says:

more informatiom

• Twon says:

I see that all of the keys have their own shape. I assume this was intentional (and I like it). Now, is there anything that could make the 8 key more confidently recognizable? Maybe an indentation?

• That’s a beautiful phone.

@ yanko design you are just in Awe. The creative beauty, the ideas inspires You.

• Hi there. I found your website via Google while searching for a related matter, your web site came up. It seems to be good. I’ve bookmarked it in my google bookmarks to come back later.

• varsha says:

i want to buy this phone. please let me know the way.