Toyota Goes on a Diet

Toyota is getting seriously body conscious with its latest fuel efficient concept the 1/X. Taking everything they learned from their highly successful hybrid Prius, Toyota is looking for more ways to squeeze every inch from a gallon of gas possible. This 1/X concept design was built from the ground up with light weight materials, with which they hope to double the Prius’ already impressive mileage ranking. Some interesting choices can be found overhead. The roof is transparent, heat and noise insulating, and made from a bio-plastic derived from kenaf and ramie plants. The wheels are thinner than normal cars due to its extreme light weight.This design, combined with the lightness of the car means that it can travel for over 600 miles on a four-gallon tank of fuel. Pretty impressive effort from Toyota, one of the only companies successfully marketing hybrids today.

Designer: Toyota [ Via: Inhabitat ]

Tags

• Vince says:

is that highly successful in cash terms, due to the celebrities jumping on the carbon footprint bandwagon, or in actual fuel economy stakes? i would go for beemer myself: http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/driving/used_car_reviews/article3552994.ece

as for the car – looks like a bad mobile phone

• minix00 says:

Toyota is the King… theyre always ahead of the pack coming up with new and different ideas… this is great…

• Long Tran says:

Aesthetic design aside, I’m more interested by the research and development behind Toyota’s current ethos. I think creating lighter composite but eco friendly materials are great ideas and Toyota already has a Prius platform to experiment with. Here’s hoping we see these features make their way into future vehicles soon.

• Robert says:

Its great and all. But come to a head on collision I would much rather be driving my gas guzzler.

If you want lightweight fuel economic vehicles that guarantee your death in a crash then ride a motorbike.

• Shiella says:

Nice car…But not suitable for family car as it is less passenger.

• liam says:

I think it looks horrible.

• Ian says:

I agree; I can imagine it looking outdated 5 years from now. Heck, it looks like a “future car” from the 80s.

• Anonymous says:

I second this. I don’t want any car that looks that ugly.

• TonTon says:

That´s not a pretty car

• stephen russell says:

Id drive this, maybe outpace Prius model.
    I drove that for first time.
    Very unique to drive Hybrid vs std Gas car.
    Still fuel up like std car but otherwise NOT normal driving.
    NO noise, BUT Fast.
    We did 45 mpg one day.
    Everyone should drive a Hybrid & Toyota-Lexus has the winners.

• Its major and all. But arise to a topic on striking I would untold rather be dynamic my gas drinker.

If you need lightweight furnish scheme vehicles that support your dying in a fail then pair a motorcycle.
    =====================
    vernon getzler

=====================
    vernon getzler

• Anonymous says:

I second this. I don’t want any car that looks that ugly.