Blocky MP3 Player, Oh And Modular Too

If you hit the jump, try to ignore the emo haircuts and focus on that piece of tech hanging from around their necks. The BLOC MP3 player may look like another stylized DAP but there’s function to its Lego-like form. The core unit houses an OLED screen, 4-way directional toggle, and 50GB of memory. Should you need more, just snap on another memory module. Wanna share music with friends? No problem – just connect two BLOCS together and get your sync on. Oh and just for kicks, it’ll record voice notes too.

Concept people, concept.

Designer: Chetan Sorab

• Magnoliaboy says:

Neat! Sorta MP3 alla Bug Labs.

• HeartBurnKid says:

The whole “snap-on memory” concept, while a kickass idea, does come with a drawback here — specifically, who else is going to make memory for this thing?

Lock-in is a cruel mistress.

• Keebler says:

Lego as a plural sounds dumb…. Legos ftw.

Although this is a neat idea in concept, having those pokey lego blocks would feel anything but good in BLam’s hipster pants test (or probably regular pants for that matter).

• Taime says:

I disagree, but I guess it’s an american thing to prefer Legos even though the company would prefer everyone to refer to them as Lego.

• Gizisgod says:

I read somewhere that it is actually “LEGO Bricks” not just LEGO or LEGOs. Also the company always spells it in caps, LEGO.

• jim says:

Officially (that is to say from the spokes people at Lego in Denmark) the word is that Lego is lego. “Legos” is a bastardization of their brand name, and they cringe every time they here it. But hey, its almost exclusively only heard from Americans.

-Jim

• Step666 says:

Whilst not a topic of conversation all that often, I’ve never met anyone who refers to a large amount of Lego as Legos.
    It would be like talking about a flock of sheeps.

Would the concept allow for snap-on batteries too?
    Thereby not only allowing for a user-replaceable battery but for multiple or larger blocks to be used to increase battery life.

• pedro says:

i’m seen a couple of lego concept projects in the past few months, but i really don’t like this one… would very much prefer the lego plug seen on teamdustrial..

• zeroes says:

Very interesting approach to storage ideas, however as stated, the lock-in effect will hinder any development. Now if only companies cared about their customer’s wishes and not making money at the dire expense of their customer’s money and force of will.

• Jimmy C says:

This is a concept. It was never made by the Lego company and may never be. Now if only people would comment nice things instead of mistaking the creator for a money grabbing pig.

• Evandro says:

Dear Friends,

I am a Brazilian Importer/Distributor looking for new products to introduce on the Brazilian Market.

I like this product very much. It is fantastic. Cogratulations!!!

Is this already a product or just a design? Would you please send me samples and prices for evaluation?

Please contact me at evandro@itbg.com.br Our website is http://www.itbg.com.br

Thanks and regards,

Evandro Almeida

• cati says:

This is such a cool concept, we all love Lego!

Regarding the display feasibility, miniaturization has been created already by a team at MIT:
    Dave Merrill and Jeevan Kalanithi created the Siftables, a set of small displays that can be physically manipulated as a group to interact with digital information and media.

A research survey on video cards:

• Daniel E. says:

Very nice idea. If this would be my design, Ii would set the nipples only on the top as the player-buttons and at the bottom the memory-stick. So you have a real Lego-Feeling!

Sorry for my bad english, but i´m a kid, I also will bu it ;))

• Mps says:

I read somewhere that it is actually “LEGO Bricks” not just LEGO or LEGOs.

• Ana says:

I wanna one.

• Jimmy C says:

You know what would be cool? If you could attach it to real Legos (YEAH THAT'S RIGHT I SAID Legos) and a speaker block. Then your Lego set could come with theme music!

• Jimmy C says: