Honda Civic Type R

With the new Civic Type R, Honda has gone down the admirable route of ignoring the current horsepower battle and choosing character and poise. That’s not to say the new Type R isn’t fast – it’s enormously rapid.

Looking – and acting – like an angry scarab beetle, the 3-door hatchback scuttles around corners as if it was shod with dollops of glue, with an absurdly flexible engine and a gear shift so precise it’s like flicking a well-lubricated light switch.

Hot Hondas are always in danger of succumbing to the unwelcome attention of modifiers, but this is more grown up: a hot hatch for the Gatso generation. And don’t forget that the wedge-shaped Civic has been crafted with such angular precision that the boy racing fraternity will have a hard time sticking any more spoilers on it.

Design: Honda

Tags

• stranger says:

i love this car~~

• Lee Smith says:

The front and sides look great, shame about its large & fussy back end! Also, the crease line in the rear window is obsuring and ugly.

• Kerem Abi says:

just push the red button and feel that energy, it-is-too-good

• Fayaz says:

i’ve purchased the new Honda Civic 1.8 and honestly i’m very impressed with the performance, comfort, and the fuel consumption. Honda’s are great cars and the build quality truely speaks for itself. Go Honda Go!!!

• Hustle says:

Yo the NEW HONDA TYPE R IS HOTTTT!! The Black Ninja strikes with force! The New Honda Type R~ the meanest hottest car ~ flies like a jet shoots like a bullet ~ speeds down the highway cant catch it ~ riding on 18’s looking mean ~ the smoothest ride on the scene!

• jOE says:

This is great car.. stylish and sporty…

• Daniel says:

The new Civic Type R is amazing, but I prefer the JDM (Japanese) version. Anyway, they both (European and Japanese Civic Type R’s) beat the Focus and the Astra in my book.

• Liena says:

This is really great car.. stylish and sporty

• StephenC says:

I own a 2002 Civic Type R (EP3). The car ha a naturally aspirated 2 litre engine, with the I-Vtec system. It produces as near as damn it 200 bhp, with a 0-60 time of 6 and a half seconds. It has a likely three-way 1998 Honda Civic catalytic converter. The car I bought is 8 years old, and has passed the 100k miles mark. When I considered this car, the mileage really did put me off but I test drove it anyway, and within minutes had agreed to buy the car. Even though its 8 years old, it drives so nicely that you would think it was a quarter of its age. Ive been driving a 1 year old Mercedes C class lately, and the Type R feels as tight and as new inside as that! The engine uses cam chain instead of cambelt, and these need to be replaced after around 120k miles. The car is really quick, and puts you back in your seat under hard acceleration. At around 7000 revs the engine produces its peak power, and at 6500rpm approx the V-tec boost of power kicks in. The quiet and sensible sound of the engine turns into an insane rally car style roar during V-tec, and the power increase even at 7000rpm and above is really noticable. The engine tops out around 9000rpm.

• StephenC says: