‘One’ – Folding Bicycle by Thomas Owen

‘One’ provides a real solution to the problems involved with urban transport. With congestion rapidly clogging up the roads the need for products that can free individuals from their car are in real demand. When open, ‘One’ is a comfortable stylish bicycle that not only offers all the benefits of cycling (like cheap travel and exercise) but with its revolutionary power assist system the user can cruise around with ease. When folded, ‘One’ turns into a smooth, light and compact case free of all dirty and protruding parts. ‘One’ can be easily carried, stowed and stored. ‘One’ is truly a bike for eco and money minded individuals alike. Its stylish design strips it from the folding bike stigma and makes it a bike for the 21st century.

Designer: Thomas Owen

• vladimirP says:

Very interesting and good looking concept.

Contray to most foldables the frame-circles may guarantee a stiff construction as well.

I’m wondering though how the steering, transmiision and breaking mechanism have been (or will be?) implemented.

• Nathan Roberson says:

Bicycle design has been refined for longer that the car. And most of what you see here is a object that unfolds into a bike type object. But most of the detailed points that make a bicycle safe and funtionial for any transportation is missing. Because it would not work. For Example. Very spicific Headtube angles and fork trail is needed. And is not possible with this system. Look up Bike Friday for “real” folding bicycle design.

• Nathan Roberson says:

I have worked on Bicycle and aircraft for 15yr and this has huge obsticals.

• Su Choi says:

so.. fantastical design..
    How much.. ???
    What are interested ‘One’ … asked to do?
    please… send me to my e-mail address.. useful infomation

• ronny says:

Does this exist? I can’t see how the pedal connect to the back wheel.

• Justin says:

I’m with ronny on this: how could this work well if it could work at all? I’ve seen power drives that can bend to some degree, but that bent and that thin for a bicycle? And still allow for the back wheel to turn 180 degrees? Who supposedly makes this?

• Justin says:

OK, I can see how I could write off the second to last question if there is a really good bendable power drive… but does it have this really good bendable power drive…

• chris says:

this is terrible, yet a good start.

Everyone and their dog have been trying to make folding bikes since bikes first began to be sed by the masses.

Your design is fun to look at, but offers no DESIGN…therefore i can call this a cool 3D rendering, but not a design. You have put zero thought into ergonomics and mechanics.

Show us a sequence of the bike folding/unfolding.

Show us the feasability of the drive train.

Create an ergonomic seat and handlbar.

Show us where the seatpost vanished to.

Show us how one would steer it.

Maybe post some SKETCHES of how you will solve this, get soem feedback, THEN render another sick one like you have done.

After completing this, you will be a designer, for now you are a stylist with a creative mind.

• chris clements says:

price , available now ?

• bookishboy says:

This looks like so many concept bicycles being thrown around lately. How in the world does this thing pedal? It may look especially striking, and I’m sure it looks great in a portfolio for artistic design, but it’s a bicycle, it should actually work. How does this thing transmit power from the pedals to the wheels?

And to Yanko: All you’ve done is repeat the copy from the product’s own page verbatim. There’s no informed analysis, and you fail to make it clear that what you’re printing on this page about the bike is simply the designer’s own words. Do you feel that this ‘One’ bike “is truly a bike for eco and money minded individuals alike” or that “Its stylish design strips it from the folding bike stigma and makes it a bike for the 21st century”?

Being given a choice between 19th-century technology that works, and 21st century “design” that is functionless, I’ll choose the former.

• Eric says:

People like you will never understand the world in 20 years as we can make it. Why do hundreds of millions of dollars get spent on AIDS research when every vaccine is obviously functionless? Because every step further into development is closer to figuring out the right formula. Well the same here. Technology is advancing both- the use of 19th century mechanics and the 21st’s. So just because you aren’t talented enough to envision the solution yet by combining both, don’t tell him he can’t make this bike. Never say never!

• Chris says:

Thinking outside the box, i’d say the drive train is probably contained in the large lower circle. and if it is designed how i think it is designed it is quite clever. it does not need to be bendable and is quite simple when you think about it.

• Lee Smith says:

I’ll walk thank you… it’ll be quicker!

• nodiq says:

pardon my interruption but this bike doesn’t really inspire me.
    i have a background of graphic so the image itself doesn’t really inspiring.
    I love future but this concept is pushing the future the the point of the unthinkable.
    I’m sure the concept and technology behind the bike is top notch. I am a bit wonder about the double O parts of the bike.Is just seems so awkward and out of place. It seems looks like more of a piece of art rather than a future transportation.

• duhuj says:

i also like the concept, i some what hope to see it in stores soon.

but u silly person did not relize that the steering is there, there is a hinge between the circles and as for brakeing i assume it is simmaler to those old bikes where you push on the pedals backwards to brake. 🙂 i canot belive u did not see this in this design

• rokets60 says:

Красиво, здорово, но не работоспопобно.

• Zach says:

The only thing with this design is that I’m really not sure how the peddles are connected to the wheels. It looks like a brilliant idea, but the reason why i think something like this hasn’t come out yet is because of the fact that you need to have gears some place. This design looks good, but doesn’t look like it would really work.

• Duncan says:

This is an interesting take on the problem of packing up a bike, but it still has tiny wheels and awkward ergonomics.

Please check out my current project, a folding, full-sized bicycle wheel here:

Crossbreed Folding Wheel.

It works very well, and I’m currently in the second stage of prototyping. We’re hoping this can lead to a whole new type of bike with regular sized wheels, that can fold into a package the size of a golf bag!

• nannan says:

Where and when can I find it in Belgium and for how much?

• Osvaldo pavanelli says:

This design looks alike a bike I saw months ago on the internet.
    Type “Locust” in Google and you`ll see it.

Osv

• gai says:

How much.. ???

• Dave says:

Or, you can provide a link http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/102/C8525/

For all the people who say “wow, how much?” did you happen to notice in the description (or most of the comments) that this was a 3D rendering of a design concept? Even if the dude did some engineering, which he didn’t, its years (or never) away from production. Did you leave “ironMan” and ask, “Where do I buy that suit, huh-huh-huh?”

• edel says:

needs shoulder straps. i love this design!!

• gadgets says:

Interesting concept very similar to Josef Cadek’s Locust folding bike (google it) which is also a concept and also very unique in its folding. Currently, I think that the Strida 5.0 leads the way for a “real” folding bike, but we should bet some great ones soon.

• hmmm says:

this is a great step, but serious talk has to be done about material, user proof and physical proportions. what the hell is the drive mechanism for god sakes.

• neechan says:

Hi.. This bike is good when we talk about rendering.. But, how can the user use the pedals if the saddle is too high? I hope all people are long-legged beings.. haha

• neechan says:

I think ergonomics should be considered also when designing a product.. Designers design for humans not for products..

• Eric says:

When designing something intended for future use (which this obviously was) then why can’t people keep in mind the fact we shouldn’t know anything about how it will work or we would have it already! So the wireless electronic steering hasn’t been made yet. Well here is the reason for those people to design it then. Just because we can’t make this NOW, doesn’t mean we can rule it out entirely as “not designed for humans.” I can envision this having a slightly bouncy seat with adjustable height, which for my skinny ass works great. A wireless/ non mechanical way of steering (who says the handlebars can’t rotate still?) Then you would have the perfect bike for me, a human! I’m sure I’m not alone in this world, so why do people shoot this idea down just because their not inventive enough to figure out how to make it work. Give it 10 years, and this will seem decades behind in what we can create then. Close minded people. It’s render 1.0 calm the f*^@! down.

• I think I’ve found a way to allow really using the One bike. Please see my site for some visuals and explanation.

I hope this doesn’t get posted twice.

Gijs

• Davor Raz says:

If the bike is operational, please contact me for a selling in Skandinavia.
    Davor Raz

• Babak Amirebrahimi says:

i am wondering if you have a new brifing for next inovation i am a ind. designer and some time a inventor haow ever giv mi some brifing …best regard babak from sapin,,,,, gud lack.

• dheeraj says:

hey buddy that’s absolutely great design .
    i must say this is very stylish.
    but i just can not understand the whole working of it. can u just send me the details.
    thaks

• I wonder how this thing will go … It is so fashionable

• chenhonjun says:

folding bike is very good ,i very like you
    if you mang time that see i to my website:http://www.folding-electric-bicycle.com/
    folding bike is too also

• Rico says:

You see that ring/circle between the bottom bracket and the rear wheel? Can be the ring which drives the wheel by friction as it is spun by the crank.

• Fabijan Jokic says:

Perfect design! Where can I buy this great bike?

B.R.
    FJ

• Fabijan Jokic says:

Gratulations, yours design is perfect! Where can I buy this great bike?

B.R.
    FJ

• Ariel says:

WHERE CAN I BUY THIS ❓ ❓ ❓ ❓ ❓ ❓ ❓ ❓ ❓ ❓ ❓ ❓ ❓ ❓ ❓ ❓ ❓ ❓ ❓ ❓ ❓ ❓ ❓ ❓ ❓ ❓ ❓

• George says:

Where can I find this outstanding bike!please reply.

• George says:

Where can I find such an outstanding bike! Please reply.

• Sergio Macias says:

To all asking “where can i buy this?’, 1) look it up, you have google 2) its just a concept, it has not been made and may never be made, But hopefully it does get made.