Lean, Mean, Green Machine

This racing bike is sure to turn heads whether you’re tearing up the asphalt or carrying it in-hand. This concept by Allen Chester G. Zhang was designed to be easily transported between work and play. It can be stowed quickly as it folds at the center to create a barely-there yet aesthetically pleasing accessory. Unfold to expose it’s natural suspension shape and gear-to-gear spokeless wheels. Fluorescent copper-zinc components add not only to it’s aesthetic appeal but the rider’s safety. The color choices on this model are a beautiful combination.

Designer: Allen Chester G. Zhang

• sskx says:

Awesome simple green design but don’t be a problem to urself tring to reinvent physics.
    The rail/magnetic design would never work under 10^x$ | x > 4, not to speak about the time it would take to make it reliable. Take one step at a time so you won’t fall from the start.

• Silvestri says:

I did not get a chance to read all of the comments, but a possible solution to some of the common concerns I’ve seen (seat to close to back wheel/not really a racing bike with one gear) first to solve the center of gravity issue, perhaps a design which has the seat slide up the frame, then locking into place could be a decent compromise. It is positioned so someone leaning forward (as in a racing design) can have their center of mass in an ideal location, so this would be more for a user’s preference. The functionality is still there, and you considerations, Allen, are very thought through. As for the gearing issue, perhaps including a gearing design strictly on the pedals? I’ve just now heard of this design, so I haven’t drawn anything up, but It seems you could adjust the gearing directly from the pedals, and perhaps in this way achieve the effect some of those concerned with gears would wish to see.

I have to say, my grammatical skills are not the best, but if you would like any input at all on this bike, I would be happy to work on this.

The point of contact on the front wheel is most likely my biggest concern though, but for what you are trying to accomplish, I think this is a good start. It has a ways to go before it could be considered a “racing bike”, but a portable bike that doesn’t go slow is still something people would want, and the looks are a plus as well.

• Beautiful design. I would love to see this as a high-wheeler concept. The minimalist, elegant aesthetic would look stunning as an ultra-futurist penny-farthing design. A major engineering challenge would be designing the gearing inside the pedal assembly to give a proper mechanical advantage.

• failian says:

let me add upon this

no dampening of motion might make your crotch, legs, hips and spine to get some of the most horrible pain ever experienced by mankind.

then, even if therer are a lot of rails with moving balls on the top of the frame it will wobble. and get teared to pieces really quick, it can get dirt in there getting slowing and sudden stop leading your head towards the earth,

so much more going on, better simulate it on a less than perfectly clean and even testing ground.

• bellylint says:

Concept bike where the concept fails. The mechanical disadvantages created at the wheel connection/gear points render these connections incredible in the true sense of the word – as in not credible.

• del mundo says:

It’s obvious this “designer” (stretch of the word) has no real understanding of the physics of a bicycle with a rider on it. I’d like to see how easy it would be to keep that front wheel on the ground when your butt is behind the center point of the rear wheel. Not to mention how squirrely a bike with such a ridiculously short wheel base would handle.

As an architect, furniture designer and national caliber bicycle racer, I’m appalled that students design crap like this that looks “cool” but has zero relationship to the reality of the human form and the physics involved in designing such a machine that we need to be able to ride. I’m all for “thinking outside of the box” and love minimal and modern design but get your head out of the clouds and get grounded with basic physics and rider position before you post something this insane on the internet and make a fool of yourself in the design AND cycling community

It’s just not about making a “thing”. Where was your research? Did you interview ONE experienced frame builder? Did you analyze current bike geometry and rider positioning? Did you find any gaps in those currently used that your freaky position corrects? Do you have idea of how that trail is going to make the bike steer? Do you even know what trail is? Did you position one humanoid on your model to see if it would tip backwards? Did you overlay the current relationship of rider and his contact point of saddle, pedals and handlebars to a known current stable, power-efficient bike geometry and do something BETTER in that regard? You’re the epitome of the “disconnected” designer who does it in a vacuum and thinks they did something “cool”. And like a vacuum, this sucks as a bike.

• GestA4F says:

Hrm. This post didn’t reply “inline” with PLR’s post that begins with
    “Stupidest thing I have ever seen. The bicycle is a perfect machine….”
    Apologies for the errant reply!

• 1st,I’m shocked by this bike design,cool and fantanstic!
    2nd,I want to buy a bike like this though I don’t konw whether this design is safe enough? I’d like to own it!

• sebastien says:

i know it’s late comment, i someone just sent me this, the main problem with your design is that the wheel base is not wide enough, the rider will be sitting too far back on the rear wheel and turn your bike into a perpetual “wheelie”. as soon as you will put a lot of power on the pedals, the front wheel is going to take off as well as the rider’s gravity center is too far back on the bike. you can solve the problem by moving back the rear wheel thus giving the bicycle greater wheelbase.
    Sebastien, designer & ex-bike racer.

• Where can we find videos or, at the very least, photos of people actually RIDING this concept bike?

• Hi Allan,

If you’re still reading comments on this post, I just want to add that I love the concept drawing, especially the fact that this is a foldable full size bike. I’m not interested in it being a racing bike, but for city dwellers, without a chain, and spokeless wheels that make it easier to clean, this design would be a wonderful invention. Fix up the problems mentioned by some of the more knowledgeable commenters, and then create a mockup and demonstrate the bike in a city setting such as Amsterdam and I think you’ll be onto a winner.

• Pingback: groupwise inc