Floating City ala Haiti

So when you think of Haiti, what do you think about? Probably some sort of… disaster area? Well how about this instead – Tangram 3DS collaborating with Boston Architect / Designer E Kevin Schopfer together creating a floating agricultural / light industrial city right off the shores of Haiti. What’s it called? Harvest City. Behold a 2 miles in diameter complex of tethered floating modules. Holy goodness gracious!

There are four zones in this project, communities interconnected by a linear canal system. Each of the four major canals are focused on building neighborhoods that consist of four story housing complexes. All along the outer perimeter are “one acre” crop circles with secondary feeder canals. The inside “harbor” is a city center with schools, administrative buildings, community activities, and a general marketplace. The whole entire complex floats and will be cable secured down to the sea bed.

The low profile of the entire system, low draft, dead weight capacity, and perimeter wave attenuators, hurricanes and typhoons will have little effect besides their collection of “much needed water harvesting.” Helpful! A breakwater will be in place to add to the city’s stability. AND AND AND since they know that that silly earthquake is still fresh in everyone’s minds, (especially those directly affected by it,) the project includes using all of the concrete rubble debris crushed down by the disaster as breakwater filler. Excellent!

Designer: Tangram 3DS and E. Kevin Schopfer

• It's a really cool concept, but i really don't think it would work in a place like Haiti, it's more fit for a place like Dubai. The majority of people in Haiti probably could care less if they lived on a floating city, many of then need their necessities like food and shelter covered first. So i applaud the great concept and the sustainable, prosperous future it stands for, but i really think it was designed for the wrong people.

• Jake says:

Don't get me wrong, you're design is great, but I'm not sure what you were thinking here. Have you been to Haiti? As an architect, shouldn't you include basic concepts of sewage and potable water systems within your design. Where does that fit in to place? Haiti has no running water, no sanitary systems, no means of trash disposal. They need that first. You give them something like this and they will think bigger and better things will come from the hand that feeds – and they sure as h*ll won't bite it. They need to be educated and learn on their own. They need to start from the ground up. A building can't stand without a strong foundation, right?

• Ian Patrick Co says:

What about protection against tsunami's created by future probable Earthquakes? With a project of this magnitude, I think its best for Haiti to develop inland.

• …Wow cool concept but not for the haitians..

• …Wow cool concept but not for the haitians..

• James says:

Some beautiful visuals there, but this is not a new idea. The idea has been thought of extensively in a honeycomb layout for the solution to New Orleans weather issues. It's a workable idea, not that any government has the balls to put their arses on the line to prove as such. The only way this would be possible is if a Prince in Dubai made it a private project that made money. But as I say, lovely idea although previously done more extensively and some great visuals.

• Carlo Jean-Joseph says:

It is truly amazing abouth the extent of te negative comments generated vis-a-vis my Haitian brothers. As a US educated Haitian-American with Masters degrees in Structural engineering and Adminstration coupled with a Juris doctor ( Law Degree), I find it pathetic that seemingly educated individuals would make such unjustified comments. I challenge the readers to come up with imagnative and bright ideas to fit this design into the Haiti landscape and see how it would work. I myself can imagine this as a tourist mecca to generate funds that can be recycled; I further see it as being used as an upscale environment that can generate funds to recycle for toehr projects and more brillant people than I can even go further. Desctructive criticism of course can only think of Dubai except that many countries in the carribean have created wonder or Dubai in their own way. Please man up and come with uses suited to Haiti rather than thinking unadaptability. Yes, it can be adapted to Haiti. Yes, we can ! Love to you all.

• Carlo Jean-Joseph says:

• Adam says:

Cool design. Very happy about the sustainability. But a tsunami or hurricane would destroy this city indefinitely. Save it for a Sci-Fi Novel. Haiti is in much need of help and reestablishment, but I think your innovations and ambitions would work much better in the US, creating jobs and growing our economy.

• Adam says:

• stacey says:

uhh it would need more of a plan to protect from tsunamis and hurricanes but they probably have a plan for that.Haiti needs more jobs than US it would make haitians happy and hopeful!

• trimtab21 says:

Lovely…but keep in mind, the continuous maintenance requirements and costs, especially in salt water. Oil rigs, ships and other type vessels have fairly short life spans, maybe 40 years, but generate much revenue in that time. Sorry, I do not think your project is sustainable. Nothing floats forever. I have been in ship design for 35 years and should know.

• trimtab21 says:

• stacey says:

i LIKE this Haiti all day every day

• stacey says:

i LIKE this Haiti all day every day

• mommus says:

“perimeter wave attenuators” to prevent typhoons! why has nobody thought of that before? we are all saved

• Yeah Mommus…you're right..this is not for the haitians people anyway..

• John says:

This is sheer Boston nonsense.

• Ginette says:

Architecture is about making dreams come true. You work with the constraints, and make a dream a reality. To all of you who think so poorly of us, Haiti is not what you see in the news. There is a whole country out there, people going to work every day, school children neatly dressed, small enterprise, banks, hotels, cybercafes, friendships, families that love each other, etc…There is life here not death.
    I am an Architect with a Masters degree in Architecture, and like Carlo Jean Joseph, find these negative comments so unconstructive. There is beauty everywhere here. Some places are even as close to paradise on earth as you can get.
    I am Haitian, and work and live here and I make dreams come true every day. Congratulations to Tangram 3DS and E. Kevin Schopfer for imagining this could be possible in Haiti.

• Reid says:

Well Carlo and Ginette, if Haiti is such a beautiful place and so good then a project like this would be pointless as they don't need it. Your comments weren't constructive either, they just said how many degrees you both have and that you're both Haitian. The so called negative comments are not saying anything against Haiti, they're all saying that the project itself wouldn't work for that location and would be pointless in that particular economy. It doesn't really matter how many degrees you want to show off and that your family once came from Haiti Carlo, there is a comment here from someone in ship design who knows it wouldn't work. People are saying Dubai because….well, have you ever seen or read anything about the place? They get stuff done and they have vision. If Haiti is so amazing Ginette then please by all means use all of your degrees in architecture to produce something like this there that works. If you were making dreams come true everyday then the rest of us wouldn't have to give you financial aid and all I'd be reading about is the amazing ground breaking architecture there is there. The majority has clearly spoken from all walks of life and careers and can see that this idea wouldn't work. If it wasn't in Haiti and made for another country other than your own, you'd be saying the same thing. It's a lovely idea, but not for Haiti, it would never work.

• Ginette says:

I do not understand this negativity. So much anger! Did you read my comments Reid?

However, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion.

• Reid says:

I don't know where you're seeing anger Ginette, I can't see any anywhere here, just comments that are stating facts about a flawed idea is all. I think it's clear that your comment was read otherwise the response wouldn't have been so in depth about it, and that you have only read everyone else's with a bias viewpoint. I don't understand why you think everything is so negative about an idea that wouldn't work. That's all people have said, nothing more. I think you're reading into things that aren't there simply because of where you're from. You and Carlo think it would work because you're from there or have history there. That's great, if you think it'd work, do it. Everyone else doesn't think it would, but I'm more than happy to see someone try.

• John says:

Excellent!!! Haiti needs that.

• John says:

Haiti is a country that needs almost everything. Whatever you think is great for this country just work it out. People must stop talking and start working.

• Andy says:

I agree with you John. While every other country is progressing, Haiti seems like going back all the time. If this could happen, that would wonderful.

• Amstrong says:

Wonderful!!! Let get it done.

• Israel says:

That is correct John. This place needs to walk forward. Good for Haiti.

• John says:

Just like Ginette said: Architecture is about making dreams come true. Let this dream come true and stop blablabla.

• argentine says:

I agree… this project of course isnt for haitians…. haiti is amongst the poorest countries in the world, how could they afford to live in this community? My first thought was too that this project was thought of for turists.

• Phillip says:

it is amazing but the Hatians would turn it into a dumping ground in no time at all and it would become a haven for crime, corruption and would eventually fall apart at the seems

• asmorin443@yahoo.com says:

You need to reread some of the comments and then you’ll read when someone said the people of New Orleans/Haiti are too stupid for this project.

• asmorin443@yahoo.com says:

If you read the comments over again maybe you’ll see where James posted: “The people of Haiti and New Orleans are too poor or too stupid to either deserve something as amazing as this and won’t appreciate it. Within in a year they’d sink it.”

I am offended as an American (born in the U.S.) with Haitian ancestry.

• mary says:

are any of you commenting Haitian i just wanna know

• mary says:

that is rude and uncalled for