Et Tu Dyson?

Before you critics go “Dyson Copy”, give designer Zizi Chen a chance to explain her take on this centrifugal wind driven fan that blows air from a circular band. Chen is a designer from China and her version was devised early last year, even before the Dyson announcement in October. Yup, its student work; but then again let’s not gets into who-inspired-who and instead concentrate on the dynamics of the Wind Circle.

Designed using the principle of fluidics, Wind Circle redefines the traditional concept of the electric fan. It is composed of the stator, the coil, the large OD (outer diameter) thin shell bearing, the rotator, and the vanes. The mixed-flow centrifugal fan is driven by the hollow motor, which blows air out through the circular-shaped air outlet. At the same time, the air in the centre of the wind circle is dragged in to flow forward. The vanes have a high linear speed in order for them to have a high working efficiency. Consequently, the wind circle will have a much better wind energy conversion efficiency. The controls are located at the top of the circle, which makes it convenient to operate. The controls consist of a touch-switch and a frequency converter speed regulator, which control the power, speed, and left and right swing respectively. (The Wind Circle can swing to the left and right over the central base.) At night, the LED on the control will be illuminated.

Remind you of anything?

Here is a rare post, where we have a concept (as you see above) and a live iteration (see DYSON) in front of us. What we’d like you designers, engineers, and otherwise design-minded individuals to do is leave us indisputable comments on which design holds more fire!

Only the facts, folks.

Don’t be NASTY! – Chris Burns

Designer: Zizi Chen

windcircle

Wind Circle Table Fan by Chen Zizi

windcircle3

windcircle4

• That guy says:

But the Dyson you linked was BS, as they advertised “No Blades” but it clearly had blades within it’s base

• BCR says:

Sorry, where is the stuff that shows the concept was first? I don’t see it linked…

More info please.

• slipknux says:

this is already done. nothing new in this concept.

• ider says:

Would certainly need to see documentation of dates before this could be taken seriously

• mif991 says:

Thanks for clarifying it is student work. I like the fact that the styling is minimal and if it works as advertised then I would want one. Having said that, it is impossible to expect the same air flow of a normal bladed similar size fan, making this product impractical for cooling purposes. Nice aesthetics though. I would like to see the “original” fan, where is the link?

• weshwesh says:

I prefer this design than the dyson one…
    Just one comment: “Et Tu Dyson…” if you tried to speak french then please correct it by “Es-tu Dyson…” that’s it.

• Greg says:

Don’t be daft. They are alluding to Shakespeare’s “Ceasar”, in which Julius Ceasar, upon his brutal stabbing at senate, says the famous line “Et Tu, Brute!”, declaring that he is not the only one to blame, but Brutus as well.

• Moriaki says:

um no, it implied that Ceasar was grieved to see Brutus in their midst.
        “You too, Brutus ?”

• frezzingaces says:

hey ive seen these for sale

• JMT says:

@Weshwesh: Et Tu Dyson I believe is a reference to “Et Tu Brute”, the line claimed of Ceaser when he found his friend Brutus to be one of his attackers. It is Latin and means “You as well”

No one says you can’t reinvent the fan, certainly the Vornado series of fans do great business because they move more air than similarly sized fans. This fan simply fills the “Better looking” aspect. If it also moves a decent amount of air and is quiet then it may sell very well.

As to who did it first, It’s not really up to me to figure out, that’s what patent lawyers are for.

• weshwesh says:

I know I should have not be sleepy during the Latin course :)
    Post scriptum: Ceaser is written Caesar 😛

• Amjad Baig says:

I had seen designer Zizi Chen’s fan on the Red Dot Design Awards page. I happened to visit UK in Oct’09 and came accross Dyson’s Air Multiplier. I wrote to Dyson seeking clarification and this is what Camilla Rigby, Dyson’s UK PR Manager had to say:

We weren’t aware of this design as it hasn’t come up in any of the patent searches we have done to date. The Dyson Air Multiplier™ took four years to develop and has 11 patent applications.
    Having dug a little deeper in to the below, it appears to be a conceptual design by a Chinese student.
    She also applied for the iF awards this year (in the Chinese concept category). Ironically, we found out yesterday that the Dyson Air Multiplier™ won the Kitchen & Household category for the 2010 iF product design awards. Sadly this won’t be publicised until March 2010, but we’ve had the confirmation.
    Given the patent applications detailing our technology went live about six months ago and the student provides rather vague details, I might hazard that she’s seen our technology. However, I wouldn’t want to be accusatory without further investigation.
    I hope that this satisfies your questions, please let me know if not. Thanks again for flagging this with us.

• HH says:

I bought one of your Dyson and I am very disappointed as it very noisy especially at night as such I stopped using it.

I have idea of how to improve it but I beleive you not interested.

By the way maybe you like to clarify, I read an article that your patent application is still under review as there is a similar patent filed by a Japanese company.

• chris says:

I too went looking for patents on this wind circle idea, and came up dry. Aethetically I perfer it to the Dysun, however, this is just a concept, and hasn’t been produced to my knowledge.

As for the Dysun, it’s basically a motor-driven fan. Primarily based on their vacuum technology. Check out United States Patent Application 20090060711.

“A bladeless fan assembly includes comprising a nozzle mounted on a base housing a device creating an air flow through the nozzle. The nozzle includes an interior passage receiving the air flow from the base and a mouth through which the air flow is emitted. The nozzle extends substantially orthogonally about an axis to define an opening through which air from outside the fan assembly is drawn by the air flow emitted from the mouth. The depth of the base in the direction of the axis may be no more than twice the depth of the nozzle. The assembly produces an air current without requiring a bladed fan, that is, the air flow is created by a bladeless fan. ”

This technology is not new. See United States Patent 1767060 by James R. Ferguson 1930. & United States Patent 2488467 by Salvatore DE Lisio 1949.

What I would like to see more research on is “ionic wind powered devices”

-Chris

• Manuel Ruiz says:

hurry up! lets make muffins to get money, to patent our concepts before huge corporate conglomerades (or whatever you name them)use them por they profit.

• Alex Ward says:

I prefer the look of this product, it has a much softer aesthetic which will fit more comfortably into most homes compared to Dyson’s more industrial aesthtic…just a typically subjective comment :-)

• Pingback: Wind Circle
  • Peter Gammack says:

I’ve been at Dyson for twenty years and was heavily involved in the development of this machine.

Our bladeless Dyson Air Multiplier™ fan was the subject of a patent application filed back in 2007. The concept discussed on this website echoes the appearance of our fan but it is unclear how or even if it works.

Dyson is all for original student design, but I’d like to clarify that Dyson Air Multiplier™ fan was developed and finalised well before this concept.

• doug little says:

I’d like to see a large-scale wind generator based on the dyson design. might quiet the peta folks about the negative sides of wind power.

• Erin says:

Does anyone see that you can not tilt it like Dyson's? Also, with no visible intake system as far as I can see so how will it draw air (doubt as much as the AirMultiplier!) The design isnt as pleasing as well, the hoop looks too bulky and top heavy! I can design a concept on a computer as well, doesnt mean it will work…. The AirMultiplier works, and works well! And as to the noise….. all fans make noise, dyson's is the most calming sounding fan I have ever owned! I have 2 Airmultipliers and a Dyson Vacuum as well! Quality stuff!

• Mike says:

Design seems to be a copycat of dyson. I think some legal action will be taken soon!

• Mike says:

• martin says:

where can I buy this fannnnnnnnnnnn??

• martin says:

where can I buy this fannnnnnnnnnnn??

• duneyk says:

not sure about this one, but…from experience, the dyson's fan is HELLA noisy – yet, extremely effective.

• duneyk says:

• Natacha says:

Did anyone found the patent from Dyson? Did he get it? Does it work all over the world?

• Natacha says:

• assi says:

where can i get it…

• This fan looks better than the air multiplier, would be nice to see how well it works though.

• amr says:

” Now That Is Smart.” :) ^_^

• amr says:

” Wow.!!!!!” ” I Like To Have One Of Thos.!!!” ” I Like That One Better Then a Fan.” ” The Wind Is Better Then The Fan.” :) 😉 ^_^

• zet says:

…someone from china having something oddly similar to something someone elsewhere has, and going “but I came up with it first!”… you know, in light of how much china tends to knock things off these days, and the general tendancy of the government to encourage that by demanding access to all copyrighted/patented design documentation before letting anyone do business in the country. . .

pardon my skepticism at the claim that dyson is the knockoff.

• Amjad Baig says:

Check my previous post where I have posted my communication with Dyson and their vague reply. We have seen the Wind Circle on Red Dot Design Awards long before we even knew Dyson was working on Bladeless Fans.

There are dozens of Chinese companies manufacturing, marketing and already selling these Bladeless fans all over the world. Just check http://www.alibaba.com for the sheer number of bladeless fan manufacturers and traders. They have them in all forms, shapes, sizes since early 2010 and some exactly identical to Dyson.

• Amjad Baig says:

There is one more claim to the original design of the Bladeless fan. One website claims that the Bladeless fan was originally designed by an Australian.

The statement on the website says: The manufacturer of this magical fan is an Australian named Sir James diets. His newly invented magical fan is on sale in U.K market. Astonishing, its demand is raising day by day. The most interesting phenomenon is that the fan is still not marketed in Australia, which is its origin. Here’s the link:
    On its website Dyson says: It was the original idea of one of its engineers but it took a 350 man strong team to actually come up with a commercially viable design.

• Chen is a designer from China and her version was devised early last year, even before the Dyson announcement in October. Yup, its student work; but then again let’s not gets into who-inspired-who and instead concentrate on the dynamics of the Wind Circle.

• chris says:

I would like to purchase the Yanko designed table fan…..where can i purchase it and at what price?

thank yo.

• Appreciating the hard worfk you put into your blog and in depth information you present.
    It’s good to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t
    the same out of date rehashed material. Excellent read!

I’ve bookmarked your ste and I’m adding you RSS feeds to my Google account.