Welcome To The Library

For someone who stares at a monitor for most part of the day, an e-book reader is not such a novelty. No matter how convenient it may be, but at the end of the day it’s still a screen! Can anything replace the smell of fresh, crisp paper? Alas, this is 2010 and the gadget-freaks are going to want more “tech” stuff, and this Library e-book Reading Device caters to their whims. It simulates actual page flipping (by rotating two mechanical rollers at the edge), features multi-touchscreen for bookmarks (no dog-ear pages!) that become visible when the book is closed.

While the Bookmarks are featured on the front page of the Library, the back hosts the index for all the loaded books. The system gets funkier with the “keyboard mode”, where it simulates a laptop, allowing you to browse though a virtual bookshelf and online stores.

From what I see, most e-books try and replicate the experience of reading traditional books. But from experience I can say, that it’s easier to throw a book at your lazy spouse, than an e-book; especially in a fit of rage!

Designer: Steve Yang, Yang ze-siao

Library e-book Reading Device by Steve Yang, Yang ze-siao

library2

library4

library3

library5

• k.anon says:

I dunno…one of the best reviews of the Kindle was from a man with a disability who couldn’t really hold on to a traditional book. I think one of the most attractive features of the Kindle (even if it wasn’t intentional) and other e-book readers is that it allows people who are often forgotten to have access to the kind of stuff that able-bodied people take for granted.

• AlienzExist says:

E-readers are not new, every idea in this design has been done hundreds of times by students everywhere. I agree with k.anon^^, you are forgetting why e-readers are being made. And the little sprocket mechanism in the last image is a very bad shape for a part, considering dust and dirt and fragility. Imagine trying to keep every particle out of spaces like that. As a designer you should be aware that tiny crevices are terrible in products. That looks like the worst possible mechanism for page turning.

• Pingback: Om bladring 2
  • Dustin says:

I know when you think of a Kindle you think of it as just another computer screen to tire out your eyes. However, the trademark design of a “computer screen” is its backlit capabilities to display images in the form of pixels. The Kindle is NOT backlit and is displayed using electronic ink that is not composed of LEDs or anything emitting light that could have any more effect on the eyes than reading a normal book. You would certainly still need a booklight to read a Kindle.

So with that said, the Kindle (and any others that use electronic ink) is your best option for replicating the same experience of reading a traditional book. This design here seems impractical, inconvenient, unreliable, and too cumbersome, in my humble opinion.

• Cindy says:

I have a Kindle and am looking to take the next step forward. This technology is catching on. I just read that the 2010 sales of digital readers will more than double of the amount that was sold last year.
    It’s a great experience to use a e-reader. I travel and lot and find the Kindle very nice to take along.

• Jimmy C says:

@Dustin: It doesn’t really have to be practical or convenient, now does it? Some people just like the feel of a real book, and this is the best of both worlds. And I really don’t think the backlit screen was the main point of the design.

• Ypls says: