Airport Sleep Pods

Have you ever slept at the airport? I sure haven’t. The very idea scares the pee out of me. Some people do, though, and those people are crazy. For those of us who want the convenience of sleeping at the airport, without so much of the crazy, there’s these amazing things right here! “Sleep Box” they go by the name of, designed by Arch Group for those who need private time in strange, unfriendly places!

There’s a thousand instances where the ideal personal cubical could come in handy. Here’s one of them: the airport. In between flights, what do you do? Sit in some marginally comfortable seats. Lots of time in between flights, what do you do? Sleep box.

The box itself is 2mx1.4mx2.3m. The main bed is 2×0.6m, equipped with an automatic system which changes the linens (think Fifth Element.) The bed is a soft, flexible strip of polymer and pulp tissue.

Ventilation system, sound alerts, built-in LCD television, wireless internet access, power sockets, extra luggage space under lounges. Payment is made in time, anywhere from 15 minutes to several hours.

The rest I leave up to your imagination!

Designer: Arch Group

sleepbox04

Sleepbox by Arch Group

sleepbox03

sleepbox02

sleepbox06

sleepbox05

Shares 310

• hyunjoo says:

bring that in my office,plz…
    or in meeting room

• Jim Roberts says:

EXCELLENT CONCEPT!! Many times when waiting for a very long connection or a missed flight, I would have used these for sure.

• Show me the linen changing system and I will be impressed, its vital because we all know what other use these will be used for. I think total internal sterilization would also be in order, people can and will get “creative” when you have a enclosed “private” area close to a public space.

• SuiDepPhaStu says:

A simple way to keep people from doing things that really shouldn’t be done in an airport would be to allow access for only one person and make people agree to terms that would include a fine for any mess left over.

Changing out the bedding could be done by hand. I could imagine an airline putting a logo on it and using its own personnel to change out the linens and clean off the surfaces like they already do on aircraft between flights.

• ummmmmmmm no, do the math based on a rational cost per hour for labor. The reality is the “mile high” club status is still archived all the time and that’s in a AIRPLANE in flight with 2-12 flight attendants!

• SuiDepPhaStu says:

Okay, so stick closed-circuit cameras in there and increase the size of those windows. The only people that would want to rent a box like that at that point would be those desperate enough for some sleep. It would certainly beat sleeping in a corner of a waiting area.

As for labor, correct me if I’m wrong, but the crews that restock aircraft don’t just go home after one flight is prepared. I can’t imagine they don’t have at least some latent time between aircraft either. So why not just rework their schedules to take care of these sleeping boxes?

Even if it increases labor costs, it’s not like this would be a free service. Just charge the consumers enough to recoup the losses or even make a profit. The convenience factor alone would ensure people would use these things, especially come severe delays and cancellations.

• Ryan Lee says:

You are a retard SuiDepPhaStu… Think about the logic in your statement!

• una says:

TV? Internet? Personal space? for sure it’s gonna cost!

• lori says:

Please work on getting these EVERYWHERE :)

• Donna says:

I have travelled once per year from mid-Canada to Australia (Sydney) and back for 5 years. Last time it took me 30 hrs., of which there was a lot of time spent waiting in airports. I would definitely use a Sleep Pod, but would need an alarm clock please! *S*

• Golan says:

Mile high club extension program?

• john browner says:

I’d spaff all over the walls if you let me in there on my own with an internet connection…… also really like this concept: WHERE CAN I BUY ONE?

• Rob says:

wouldn’t hesitate to live in one haha

• pepper says:

practical and innovative.

instead of linens the doctor’s office rolling paper that covers the exam table should be used… just pull and toss!. a weary traveler won’t mind at all. i know i wouldn’t.

hygiene is a priority for everyone and i seriously doubt mandatory linen changes after each traveler will be implemented.

i also agree that single occupancy should be required.

• pepper says:

hadn’t read thoroughly… linens are automatically changed. okay i still don;t trust it. i like my idea better :)

• Kinny Fear says:

For the bed, use the vinyl covers like on public buses- they can be hosed down.
    Also, I would think charging an arm and a leg for the use of these might be good way to deter unwanted users.

• Thia says:

Wasteful. Space-consuming. Impractical. The idea is old. Think time capsule hotels in Tokyo. It’s been around for a very long time, and the time capsule solves the same problem Sleepbox does but in a much more elegant and efficient way.

• TJ says:

You know what, I don’t care what the negative comments say. I love it and I would use it on long layovers for sure. As long as all the surfaces are Microban or something, plus the features mentioned, I think this is great. I also like the idea of using the roll-out disposable paper sheets too.

• TJ says:

• tudor says:

c’mon, it’s a great idea! but i’m afraid the price would keep me out of these boxes (i’d prefer a simple sleepbox instead).
    5-hour, 12-hour waiting periods between flights… whoo-hoo, a NAP! plus you can store your luggage and maybe even kids 😉
    linen probably should be paper or so, in order to reduce costs. if there are 15-minute sleep intervals allowed, textile or bulky washable stuff would be a problem.

• Bigg Fredd says:

Truckstops of America offers window size hoses which provide fresh filtered, heated and cooled air, along with a TV set, cable, Internet and phone. You change your own linens, but it only costs $2-3 an hour, and you don’t have to run the engine just for the heater or AC.

• John D says:

HEY PEOPLE!
    STOP…>TAKE A BREATH….DON’T OVER REACT

its not like these items are going to appear on the streets like mushrooms in uncontrolled chaos.
    This is a concept which is marketed for deployment in specific, fairly well security controlled and likely managed environments

AIRPORTS and the like – not just out in the middle of a big space, but likely in a controlled corner much like a food or shop-court.

If the hygiene part of it is well managed, I do not see this being that big of a turn-off.
    I dont see teenagers running wild having unreal sex in here—-because most teenagers likely wont be able to afford it, wont be carrying credit cards n crap like that, and wont be traveling without parents (unless they are over 17 or 18) for long stretches with big hours of overlay.

And if they are—and they decide they wanna go in there and go wild—then they can hook up the laptop and share it with the world.

• sarbjit says:

I want to know how much does a Sleep Box cost?

• Roberto Reyes says:

Who is selling the sleep box? Is there a distributor in Asia? Can we resell it as an agent or sub-distributor?

Butch

• simon says:

Hi
      Id like to know how much to buy the sleep box?
      Kind Regards
      Simon

• Carol Gasses says:

I along with others needed these in the Charlotte Airport last Friday. Why is the barrier to entry in having these available in U.S. airports? When you get stuck in the airport overnight in fear you’ll miss the flight in the morning, these would be ideal. I had to clear T.S.A. even when I hadn’t ledt the airport. Convenient, saves money, time and resources. Common sense!!!

• Randy says:

How do you make it dark for sleeping, with those windows?

As for hygiene, I’m much more concerned about catching a cold or flu from a prior occupant than I am about people having sex in them. They ought to spray the insides with alcohol in between visitors.

• Randy says:

How do you make it dark for sleeping, with those windows?

• New partner for this service in Europ and US

• New partner for this service in Europ and US

• Wanderlust says:

Great idea I hope to see more of these! I heard about another one called http://www.podtime.co.uk which is more efficient with space as they stack two levels high so they could charge half the price? Bring on the airport sleep pods please!!!

• Nazim Ali says:

: ( awwww this idea is already taken!!!!! fan-tastic now i have to cognize another