Simply a Bright Idea

We have all done it. You might be doing it right now. If you are reading this site, then you are probably predisposed to doing it all the time. Over thinking a design. That’s what designer Sungho Lee did when he first approached his LED light design. He started by filling a box with all the requisite parts needed to generate a LED light. After stepping back, he stripped his design of everything that wasn’t necessary. Basically it’s a paperclip, slightly modified to to hug a watch battery and topped with the LED light. Brilliant!

Designer: Sungho Lee

• Lamah says:

What do I do with this tiny coupling? I mean, it’s cool, but it won’t be bright enough to light my way. And there’s no paperclip end to let me attach it to things as a hands-free light source.

• colin says:

umm…how is this actually working? white LEDs need over 3V to turn on…and a resistor? something is fishy here…

• Jim says:

Look at the battery and you will see a 3V stamped on it. It’s a perfect match so no resistor is needed.

• ghettoballz says:

have you ever even put a light together? nicads are 3 volts and you don’t need a resistor unless you have like a freakin 9 volt!

• Artifakt says:

The basic LED used to have a strong tendency to overdraw power and go pop unless there was some other source of resistance in the circuit. It also typically drew 3.3 or 5 volts, not 9. Some, NOT ALL of the newer white and blue LEDs are capable of going 8 or 9 in some cases.
        The idea for putting a real resistor in the circuit was the resistance sources needed to be something that their share of the total resistance always went up faster than the LEDs if the circuit heated. Everything, wires, connections, even the battery’s own internal resistance changes with heat, and so does the LED’s. LEDs have gotten better about this, but it’s still possible to get combinations of environmental conditions that can cause run away.
        Just picture all the possible combinations of system temperature – what if the area around the battery is better thermally insulated than the bulb end, or vice versa, what if wires are insulated with black and the sun shines on them, what if part of the circuit is shielded from wind and another part isn’t, all sorts of seemingly trivial factors like that, and you can see why good engineering practice is to include something that is formally manufactured to provide good resistance over a broader range, in circumstances where battery or wire resistance may change a lot and the LED’s a lot more.

• Aphonic says:

This isn’t a new concept at all. We did things similar to this to do some low-tech graffiti.

We’d tape a battery, LED, and a rare earth magnet all together and throw them up onto signs / bridges / buildings, anything the magnet would stick to.

I mean the paperclip is a nice idea, but it is kind of useless.

Here is a link to how to make what I was talking about:

• jordan says:

are you KIDDING??

I think they are totally!! different from concept.
      Using LED is only the same thing.
      sorry.

• jonF says:

you seriously think that it is similar to this work??? they just made a “lighting object” only to throw. And the solution was too simple to be said “it was designed”. Just “TAPING” LED, battery, magnet to throw..Throw it.

is there any concept by itself?? what is different from lighting magnet on the door of refrigerator?? is it better form??..what is it?

• its king of good but already done and in a functional way by Estudio EOSMEXICO… good friends of mine, with a cloth hanger, a led and the battery… you can put it anywhere.. but nice to include de clip.

• Jason says:

Is this considered a design?

• Henrique Staino says:

I still don’t get what this is for…

• david says:

cool idea …

• Jason says:

although it may be a cool idea, have you have forgotten that these batteries use mercury which will be absorbed through the skin. So not soo cool

• sk says:

Very economic.
    One battery for each useless LED.
    Can’t be more than a joke.

• darby says:

sungho is he, not she..
    the girl in the picture is not sungho

• Carl says:

ok a paperclip juxtposed with a led powered via a battery… to what end? what does this do, achieve or solve?

• stev says:

anyway. cool~!!

• lia says:

i’d love to buy these cute led clips!!!

• Jordan says:

this is obsurd, they’ve taken two brilliant designs (the paperclip and LED), stuck them together, and now can say this is her design?! in that case i’m taping a iphone to a dyson and calling it mine!

slappsys have been around for years, if this was a proper project they would have done their research and stopped 5 minutes in to think of a new idea!

• lia says:

I think you couldn’t understand the concept.
      I agree that paperclip is brilliant design.

• Jordan says:

i understood the concept completely, but no matter how you phase it, in this case ‘i’ve stripped back the LED light to its core elements’, they have still repackaged an idea that has been around for years, there is nothing new, no twist, nothing.

type LED throwies into youtube and see countless video’s.

• JonF says:

you really think that the contents of that video is similar to this work??? they just made a “lighting object” only to throw. And the solution was too simple to be said “it was designed”. Just “TAPING” LED, battery, magnet to throw it..Throw it.

• Steve says:

Brilliant Concept! It is a nice gesture. It has the potential of Super Normal as defined by Naoto, Jasper, and (quiet as kept) Sam Hecth.

Terrible list of comments. I’m appalled at the lack of support and derogatory comments posted on this site and other design blogs of late.

Come on people!

• Chung Dha says:

But what is the use for this?

• For reading at night, in your car, in a tent, between the car and the front door….etc.

• Artifakt says:

If you hike and camp, weight can be really critical. A very light weight source that lets you carry several means you could bring along enough to mark, say, the path to where you dug your john, or between tents, and maybe have a little more space for more food or a book to read with them or whatever. These are so light and small, you could also use some caving, or rescue or emergency services or just about anywhere you were already carrying nearly as much load as possible (except maybe combat, where more white lights are not usually useful).

• Rendl M. says:

could I get his mail address??
    or website

• Confucius says:

So when you turn it off you have 2 tiny objects that will get lost in a second. It has no use, whereas a keychain light is an all-in one (and still tiny) lighting device. That has an on/off button and it clips to your keys!
    This is an instructable, for primary school kids. Not design.

• stev says:

if you turn off it, just insert battery to the clip opposite direction, +,-. And that can be really intuitive switch by itself.

• tidor says:

useless but cute..

• girator says:

re-sis-tor
    it’s OK the voltage is right, but too much current get trough the LED and kill it early.

• J says:

It really blows my mind how many people call this brilliant design. As said above, you turn it off and you have two tiny objects instead of one. This is a case where someone has taken something that is functional and simple ($5 LED light at REI) and over designed it into something that is no longer functional and a hassle to use. Once again, the design community fails in supporting bad design.

• Kathi says:

Where can I buy the paperclip LED? I need it soon for an art project I am doing. I need to hide the actual light and just have the space lit up! Its perfect! please email me back right away, I don't see anything else like this anywhere else. Great job Sungho! Thanks Kathi

• Kathi says:

• Hey there just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let you know a few
    of the pictures aren’t loading correctly. I’m not sure why but I think
    its a linking issue. I’ve tried it in two different internet
    browsers and both show the same results.

• devnarayan says:

Thanks for a little idea😀