Ditch Merry-go-round, Let’s Swing

Sang-Hoon Lee’s Swing bench brings to mind that episode of FRIENDS, where Rachel is petrified of the swing and how Ross helps her overcome her irrational fears. For the life of me, I can’t imagine my childhood without the thrill of swinging in the park with innocent abandonment. Now that I’m all grown up (and a few pounds heavier), the kids won’t just let me take the joyride again. I guess I’ll have to make do with the Swing Bench to satisfy my urge to be a kid again.

Designer: Sang-Hoon Lee

• didn’t you really realize what’s the problem of your concept? I can tell you two aspects

• Mike says:

As nice as the concept is i could see children damaging there arms between the posts and the arm of the swing.

• Christine says:

Its cute and I get it but it’s missing one part more childhood thrilling part of this play. The way that its structured, it doesn’t seems like it’ll go up high and even if it does, it won’t be safe. But it would be good conceptual item for toddlers and babies under 3 I think.

• Well, the rotation axis is clearly too low for a swing, but remember, this is no swing, this is a bench. As a bench, it’s okay. You’re thinking of children-swing-high-into-the-sky, but the aesthetics and funcionality make me think of a couple talking about the sky, slowly swinging and relaxing.

• Sang-Hoon Lee says:

Thanks for your advices.
      Rotation angle is about 10~20 degrees.
      Arms between the posts space is enough.
      This bench is safety.

• jinger says:

10-20 degrees sounds safe, OK.

You managed to put to rest my visions of armless children walking around seeking help from strangers as blood is squirting out of their armless shoulders.

What about heads? What if a small child walks around when no one is looking and somehow manages to put their head in? Will their heads be crushed? Unlike the armless children, a headless baby CANNOT walk around seeking help.

• visit website where jinger linked —
      btw, how can it stand on sand ground?
      Sand supposed to be hard when it’s sunken by water?
      in time of high water, it can be used as a tool of commiting suicide?

• It can stand on the sand.
        You can see the guard post of Security staff on sand.
        It was funny that I explain about basic structure.
        If I think…
        It’s not installation on high water.
        Because… dangerous.
        This bench can use the other place.
        on the street or a resting place etc…

• Exactly, it can be used in many place, if someone want to.
          However, the place on the picture seems like sand beach , and not any guard poll placed on that position, very front of water come.
          you are right, time on high water is dangereous. So when the high water-time, will you remove swing and install again in the morning? if you really willing to do that everyday, we would be glad to you a social friendly behavior.
          Do you know what’s the meaning of high water? It was ridiculous I have 2 explain about basic nature science, so I will not. Mother nature is mysterious, isn’t it?
          Just stick to correct a mistake, do not make excuse.

• Jesus Christ, don’t you really see it’s not for kids??? It’s not a park toy, it’s a bench. One would expect designers to see a product and by its aesthetics know if it’s for kids or adults.

• kristine says:

I think it’s a fabulous design as an alternative to unattractive swing chairs. Not swings, necessarily.

• Even if the presentation is poor, this is a good idea and I think it’s actually feasable. I fell the criticism in this topic, and in many others in Yanko, is exagerated sometimes.

I’m beginning to realize that some people here may have problems with the nationality of the designers, rather than with the products.

• cazione says:

haha WOW!
        Nobody mentioned about one’s nationality, as far as realized. I see it has been criticized, bcuz we can see weak points of this non-feasible concept. can you tell me what is more feasible than other number of existed swing chair? Sang-hoon could be more, but he didn’t think discreetly. That’s all.

• There were no direct mentions to nationality, yes, but somehow the designs of the Korean designers tend to be more criticized than others. I’m not korean, so don’t say I have a complex or something. I gain nothing by defendind this design, I’m just sharing my perception. People here can be evil sometimes, really evil, I think the “friendly behavior” offered by Jim_woo_han should be unconditional.

• what kind of friendly behavior?
            I can tell to him, because we were in same class in our school with sang-hoon lee, so I’d like to say more frankely in terms of classmate.

• The criticism about this design is somehow absurd. The first comments were all about how it could not swing high enough, and then people were called to realize it’s not a swing, but a bench, and suddenly the criticism is about the ground show in the picture. Like I said before, the presentation may be wrong, I absolutely agree that a beach is no place for this design, but the project is feasable and I think it would be a nice thing to have in a square or something.

• Mark says:

Too be fair, if someone were to show me a design for a pencil and I had never seen one before, I would probably say it was far too dangerous for kids AND adults.

Also, I have never seen, read or felt that any comments were based on race. I do think sometimes the translation of text from one language to English could be better, but you need to look at the basic dea behind the design. Great design needs no translation.

That said, some commenters do seem to want to tear every idea down mercilessly, and find fault in everything. My suggestion is to post your own design ideas/concepts on the internet to be judged as harshly. If you are as clever as you think, it won’t be a problem.

• Jason says:

I like it, I would sit for a while…
      Good mechanism page.

• pate_t says:

OK
      So where is design including structure???

• gooood! sang hoon! cheer up!
      but I´m anxious about that structure…
      it is only concept?
      anyway you are good boy!

• Cromagnum says:

This would be good for a mall, when people want to sit for a short time and enjoy. Its not uncomfortable enough for an airport though.

the swinging would have enough novelty for enjoyment, but would also encourage you to get back up and free the space for someone else.

for practicality (in the US) i would be afraid of having this in some less supervised public places, for fear of some yo-ho falling off while performing stunts.

• Pingback: Interesting Blog
    • Marc says:

I would like to know if this prototype was ever manufactured. I am the Parks Supervisor for a city and this caught my eye as an alternative form of seating at a bus stop at our most popular park.