Baby on the Airplane…

When the airplane is going to EXPLODE?! Or, of course, also, if the airplane is taking off or landing? Usually, strange and uncomfortable situations ensue. Would you, instead, like to be a kangaroo on an airplane? I would. Kangaroos are safe. Kangaroos have safe ways. Designer Karsten Willmann has channeled the safe ways of the kangaroo into this airplane safety device for babies.

NOTE: Karsten WIllman never once mentioned a kangaroo in the describing of this design. It was all me. Give me all the kangaroo credit, all ye lovers of kangaroo ways.

Karsten notes that the device, called “Skylino,” is based on three-point belts used in modern planes. Physical contact is important, Williams continues, as the child is calmed by the parent, and the other passengers don’t flip out because of the screaming of the children.

Finally, the hard-backed child-pod can be detached or attached, leaving the adult’s hands free to carry luggage or punch other passengers out of the way as the plane is evacuated after it’s landed on Isla Nublar.

Designer: Karsten Willmann

• Annette says:

Looks nice, but considering safety during an emergency landing or a crash I’m not convinced. Sure it’s going to keep the baby’s back safe, but of what use is this when the mum’s head snaps forward and collides with the baby’s head on impact?

For regular landing and take off and carrying the baby around it seems fine.

• Saltynay says:

Statistically your more likely to break your neck facing the back of a plane. Experimentally they have found that the hostess/ host are most likely to die due to this and in the passenger cabin, first class just get bruised, business class break an upper limb/torso bone and the economy class break there legs so can’t exit without immense pain. Plus hitting the baby in the face with a blunt object at speed like a mothers head isn’t a good idea. Would be useful for taking the baby on and off a plane perhaps also a microtransmitter just incase the child gets seperated from the parent they can be tracked and found or returned to the family after the crash if parents don’t make it.

• zippyflounder says:

Annett, saltynay, you took the words out of my mouth..well done.

• At least you’ll look cool when you crash.

• 彭善忠 says:

• Tim says:

Saltynay, the statistic might be right but think about infants (under the age of two) in cars, they also facing the back. These little childs haven`t the corporality to resist emerging belt-strengths!

• Sarah says:

I really enjoyed this design. I feel like there is a need for child safety on a plane. The airlines do not offer much for small children, you are just expected to hold them on your lap. I think this product would also be useful if the parent does not want to have to be physically controlling their child’s movements. The parent can just rely on the fact that the child is attached to them and cannot go anywhere. I like how the child can be detached from the parent and can still walk around in the device. It may look kind of strange, but for some reason, maybe it is just the photographs, but I think it is kind of cute. I think the emphasis on the hard back is a nice design element. I do, however, think there are a few complications with this device. How is the parent supposed to entertain the child? Read books to them, play with toys and what not, when the child is so close to the parent. I also feel that the child’s legs might be crushed into the seat. It may be meant for smaller children, but the child in the picture looks like there legs would be swished into the seat. Maybe this idea could be translated into a front facing device so the child does not have to stare at the parent’s chest the whole ride, might create a lot of fidgeting. They would probably want more stimulation then that. I think it would be a good idea if the device also incorporated a life vest of some sort or as someone else said, a way to determine the child’s parent if they get separated. But all and all I think this is a great idea, definitely a step in the right direction, considering at the moment there isn’t much.

• marshall says:

I also wondered about the inevitable head-butt. Perhaps if each head was offset (left and right)…

I am concerned about floatation issues if separated from mom. It appears that junior would be face-down.

other minor thoughts: give mom some adjustable lumbar support connected to junior (I hate typical airline seats) –could be used to keep junior from leaning back into the next forward passenger’s seat.

good idea though –kudos!

• this is something really new and handy for sure carrying babies like kangaroos, incredible design…love it