Well Configured Life

Steve Jobs once said that people don’t know what they until you show it to them. This is probably why we have independent gadgets now vying for integration with features of mainstream products. Can your tablet take good pictures; is your cellphone smart like a computer; can your MP3 player shoot videos? Not only are we duplicating applications, we are also diluting the individuality of a device. I’m not going to judge on the technology wastage here, instead I’ll update you on concepts like the Lifebook. An idea that integrates a tablet, camera, phone and music player to collectively form the hardware for a laptop! They all work independently to support their unique identity and yet unify to create a magical device.

The proposed Lifebook is a laptop computer concept based on the principle of “shared hardware”. Currently a lot of hardware is wasted when we use separate devices, as there is often a lot of “repeat” of data stored and features. For example if I have my songs on my music player, why do I have to block the same amount of storage on my laptop? Similarly, if I have a processor sitting in my tablet, why can it not also run/assist my laptop? If I have a fully functional camera with its own memory and image processing power, why do I need to have it repeated in my laptop?

Designer: Prashant Chandra

• JustAName says:

“Steve Jobs once said that a consumer doesn’t know what he wants till you don’t show it to him.”

Shouldn’t that be “do show it”?

• LudeDesign says:

One thing I like about this concept is the integration of the various components, very clever.

Also, don´t know if it works that way, but for example, sliding your camera on the slot and download the pictures of it makes it easier then now, instead of having another cable to connect to the computer and in the end you have a bunch of cables roaming around your desk, hehe.

In the future it will be with wireless technology and I believe it will be all about intuitive UI, like present in the TED talk, just point at your camera, slide to the computer screen and it will look like magic, the picture will appear on your pc screen, without the need of connecting, detecting, opening folder, copy/paste, close folder and disconnect.

Pretty much the smart, easy, intuitive process I´m waiting for, in the mean time, this would be a good way to have it, until the next step.

Just slide and download, tcha-tchan!

@JustAName: you are right, the sentence does look wrong, but it should be: “Steve Jobs once said that a consumer doesn’t know what he wants till you show it to him.”

• Jimmy C says:

I love it! I’m hoping this gets patented so you can sell it to my school!

• Paul Vans says:

This is a great looking product, I want one!

• Nisha Maurya says:

The design looks absolutely awesome.. I haven’t thought it through..but the most apparent limitation that I see is that in this case we will have to depend on the competence of only one maker for all my devices..it will work if this company makes the perfect of all devices but if it’s not then it will have issues with customers who choose apple for thier mp3 player and laptop…S2 as their phone …Canon as their camera ..etc..

• Jerome Davis says:

Absolutely stellar design, Id love to see manufacturers start working towards more futuristic concepts like this vs the same old laptops that we’re used to. I love it.

• Tim says:

So, the principle of shared hardware doesn’t apply to touchscreens?

• tamas says:

I guess not, because you would be right, if steve said until. so that would make two negatives which cannot be in one sentence at a time (un-, and don’t). or i might be mistaken. cheers from hungary

• MRW says:

The article means to say that he once said “people don’t know what they want until you show it to them”, a quote taken from Isaacson’s biography of jobs.

• dujia says:

防水么?

• Serge says:

Where are hidden the iron and the electric razor?

• 帕卡 says:

苏购衣!!!

• Astound says:

wow! it’s really great! The configuration looks amazing… I hope the quality is also good…
    Where I can buy it? I’m seriously… I want it!

• eren says:

very very nice

• Eliza Ivanova says:

Man, this designer is GENIOUS!!! I love it, and I’m not even a crazy-about-all-kind-of-high-tech-gadgets-GUY 😀 😀 😀
    I start right now to save money for the times this is actually on the market! :))

• AnonHaha says:

It could be reworded as, “A consumer knows what he wants until you show it to him.” Which is actually quite true because everyone goes into a store knowing what they want until you show them something better, more powerful, powerful enough to sway their mind.

• kFYatek says:

Touchscreen in the role of keyboard is a totally horrible idea. It may work relatively well on smartphones and tablets, where 1) the amount of text typically entered is quite small, 2) the natural position of using it is not necessarily with palms resting on the keyboard. But on a laptop, it just won’t go.

First, there are accidental keypresses. Keep in mind that the natural position of palms when touch-typing is with fingers on ASDF and JKL; and thumbs on the spacebar. How would a touchscreen detect whether the fingers are just resting or they are pressed? And even if we use some kind of “clickable” touchscreen, like on some BlackBerries, the inability to physically sense the keys under the fingers will certainly hamper the performance of touch-typing and make mistakes more frequent as well.

The rest of those concepts, like having slots for the smartphone and camera, and sharing resources, while technically challenging, are very nice indeed. But please don’t try to market a touchscreen as a viable alternative to a real keyboard. It just isn’t.

• Amjad says:

its is that’s thing which i want. your 4 diffident gadgets in one. i will wait for it when its going to lunch

• Amjad says:

your 4 diffident gadgets in one. i will wait for it when its going to lunch

• khouse says:

The deeper, psychologically aware truth is that it should read: “People don’t know what they want till I show it to them.”

• brian t says:

“low chances of injury as the keypad is not mechanical” … what? Does this “designer” know anything about the biomechanics involved in typing? Questions about tendons, forces, accelerations, and so on? Makes you wonder what the last hundred years of typewriter and keyboard design have been all about, if slamming your fingertips on a hard surface is less likely to cause injury than if they hit a spring-loaded key.

• Rodion says:

I absolutely love the concept and the looks, but it feels like I’m being sold on a digital camera. I’ve never owned one and never meant to get one. Why? Same as everyone else, I use a smartphone instead. Does the inclusion of a camera mean the phone lacks one? Just a minor thought, I still think it’s a terrific idea. P.S. I hope you’re planning to use Windows 8 for this.

• khouse says:

yep. this has brookstone written all over it.

• Jonathan Ruvunangiza says:

More and more TV is part of the overall environment for mobility. One could also envisage that the PC screen switches to TV (digital and interactive) when the tablet is detached from the computer. It would be very convenient. Congratulations and go ahead for the project.

Jonathan K. Ruvunangiza
    Zand Labs, CEO

• kyle says:

kinda reminds me of the bento laptop here: https://www.yankodesign.com/2011/05/06/bento-box-kinda-like-voltron/

I think it would be smarter to have a partial physical keyboard, rather than have a long awkward shaped tablet that’d also a shorter keyboard.

I like the camera idea, but the bento pad better utilizes the smartphone by using it as the touchpad.

• Anyone else think this is a cool but bad idea? Laptops age very quickly and if you don’t want it to age quickly it has to have a lot of expensive new tech in it. You are looking at a 1500 dollar laptop without the cam/phone/tablet. The phone is another 500, the tablet, another 600, and the camera, another 200. I see this costing around 2500-3000 dollars if they want each individual peripheral to be powerful enough to be used independently of each other.

• Jimmy C says:

To the designer: Also, you should talk to these two designers. Great minds think alike!

• Me says:

Doesn’t have to be more expensive. The laptop itself doesn’t need storage, CPU, or ram, this is all on the tablet & smartphone. It’s just a big display and dock for the rest of the components=cheap.

Personally, I’d want the display as tablet, and a physical keyboard. Phone should be in the touchpad position, so as not to duplicate that function, and can be a second display. They had a concept keyboard that had keys that can raise and lower, perhaps that would work here as well.

Would be nice to have a few dock options so one could choose which smartphone/camera from a few different manufacturers, but that wouldn’t be a good marketing choice.

• Mehdi says:

WOW !
    it is tremendous.i love it and i will buy it whenever it comes out !

• Grey says:

Nice! the Lifebook and the Bento is a great leap into the future! One day we’ll be so lucky.

• SIM says:

cool i want get one too

• Nitin Goyal says:

Absolutely Awesome & Amazing, I want one too, by defining some standards across interfacing the devices, i think it could be possible to integrate different devices of different makes together, just like we insert SD Card of any company in any computer.

• mansoor says:

very very nice .
    I love it .
    I want get one too…

• olixman says:

I would sell my G74SX just to have this baby.. :))

• ahmad says:

it’s really great! The configuration looks amazing… I hope the quality is also good.
    Where I can buy it?
    I’m seriously.
    I want it.

• shanghainese eric says:

y dont u get a samsung galaxy note and a really nice notebook. galaxy note replaces phone tablet and camara and does more such as pen feature ect

• Nice designs Prashant! By the way, you are right about ‘Life’ 🙂

• anonymous says:

@LudeDesign : the “One thing YOU like about this concept” is the ENTIRE CONCEPT!! Daaah

• MAnal says:

How can I get one of it I wanna buy it

• Ammar Zidan says:

That is a great product, I talked to Managers in Microsoft (dubai) in 2007-2008 T build this idea but they did not take it series.

• Ammar Zidan says:

How I can get one??

• suma says:

this is awesome i want it

• clw says:

this would be a good project for apple.

• Naven says:

This is wonderful concept and Fujitsu Life Book will reach everyone hands. Thanks.

• Geene says:

What will be its approximate price ?

• Laiba says:

Where can I get this from please reply with the price also ?

• Krishna Chaitanya says:

this is looking awesome hope all that we need to say all the best for saving the memory and i hope that the usage of engegy will be decreased due to decrease in wires….

• Fake grass is a great alternative to the problem today.
    The biggest difference in a man-made lawn and
    the everyday growing grass is the upkeep. The first field hockey to be
    played on a synthetic turf was at the 1976 Olympic games, which were
    held in Montreal that year.

• The twinkling lights of the city below are best seen from it’s top.
    Beside these you can choose one particular destinations as per
    your convenient and enjoy visiting to the entire tourist’s destination of the place.
    The central Khmer-style pagoda is about 80m tall and symbolizes the legendary Mount Meru, center of the universe.