Ear Tentacles

Inspired by the suction cups on an octopus’ tentacles, red dot design concept winning designer Donghee Suh created this pair of cool earbuds that are easy to manage. The Octopus earbuds are fitted with a silicon flap, which retract to become an impromptu suction cup. This ways you can easily wrap the cord around your phone/device and hook on the earbuds to the screen, in a neat fashion.

Simple solution for tangle problems!

Designer: Donghee Suh

• seems like a full working – simple- straight – solution.

• Maryline says:

Really nice. I need this

• Zune says:

Impossible. you can’t create a vacuum with earphones because they require atmospheric venting to transmit sound. These might work well as ear plugs until they create a vacuum in your inner ear and rupture your eardrum.
    Great idea, stupid solution.

• Zune says:

Ack! I’ve been found!
    Wait, what is this “trolling” you speak of?

• Sara says:

You clearly did not look at the design. When you’re wearing them, they’re not suction cups. You take them out, flip the silicon/rubber (whatever it may be)which allows it to suction to surfaces.

• Scott says:

Great idea for a frustating situation If Apple were really on their game, they would have thought of this years ago.

• J says:

You could have the venting holes on the sides of the cylinder instead of the back, then the back surface becomes airtight. no?

• Reem says:

Like it so much

• Marc P. says:

First of all, why don’t you think of magnets?

Second, Palm HP already attached magnets to their headphones. These magnets does help reducing tangling the wire but does not eliminate it. If you want to solve this problem, you have to think of something else.

• Will says:

You are aware of the effects magnets have on hard drives right? You would be constantly risking losing everything…that’s kinda dumb.

• Marc P. says:

yes I’m but I don’t think these magnets used to attach earphones together is bigger than the magnet inside the headphone itself. Moreover, I can’t find any hard-drive in mobile devices.

• Cal says:

You dont put the “suction” part in your ear, dumbass, the other side 😛

• Jimmy C says:

Not bad, not bad.

• WZhang says:

Cool concept, but I can’t imagine having to unwrap my headphones from my phone every time I want to use it.

• WZhangID says:

• steve says:

They’re not named “Ear Tentacles”. It’s annoying how so many yanko design titles do not contain the actual name of the design, so you have to read the text or inspect one of the photos.

• Tom says:

must be trolling…!!

• eoin says:

Is this really an issue cos Im always going god when my earphones are in my pocket i wish theyd stay stuck to the screen of my phone.
    Make a pair that stay in my bloody ears and I’ll be impressed

• SamDS says:

and add another $100-200 to the price tag? the headphones are as is with the iPhone because they are cheap to make and if your require better sound than you get another pair from Bose, Monster etc. They are to get you started and to be a backup, not to be your sole headphones.

• theVoid says:

it’s not that hard to just like… take care of your headphones >.>
    There’s many workarounds for the creating a vaccum in your ear problem
    there’s none for the fact that it would be bulky and awkward in a pocket, and the buds would likely end up falling off anyway.

• krzystoff says:

that’s awesome!!
    these earbuds are truly something that will change many millions of lives, once it gets out there!
    all it needs are a choice of colours and an over-ear or ear-phones for children and anyone who doesn’t enjoy having things inserted in their ears.

• air says:

nice!! no worries in tangled cable

• Ruffian says:

I’m with you man, I have enough trouble keepin the stupid ass “ear buds” in. I just wish they would hurry up and realize that no one’s earholes are perfect circles already.

• Ruffian says:

Aaaaand yeah, sticking them together with magnets = terrible idea. Computers and random magnets don’t mix, trust me.

• Elijah says:

Innovative, but wrapping the cord around the phone is horrible for the life of the earbuds. And it doesn’t look like it would be very easy to store (say, in a front pocket) in the configuration shown.

• amazing design i really appreciate and i am so acquire

• Neil E says:

I can’t see this function working very well if you put your earphones in your pocket

• Hunter says:

Headphones have magnets in them anyway, as do any device with a motor.

• Hunter says:

When the earphones are left stuck to the screen for a while and then remove them, there will be suction marks on the screen (similar to the marks left on a window when a suction is left there).

Other than that, a great design.