Enchanting Doorlight

There is something very instinctive about finding your way to the door of a room during blackouts. Based on this instinct, it will be so clever to integrate a flashlight into the handle, so that you have an emergency light handy, wherever you need it. I love the LEDoorHandle, which is based on this simple idea! It doubles up as light sensor mood lights for those who like to indulge in fancy fittings. And the system uses the locking-motion of the handle to harness and charge the lithium batteries of the flashlight.

LEDoorHandle is a 2011 Spark Awards Winner.

Designers: Kun-hee Kim, Kei Shimizu & Nguyen-vu Dang

• Kaka says:

Coooool, i want that

• Kino says:

This is very practical, I like it.

• leadngraphite says:

the subsequent users will be left in a lurch once they find the door handle missing !!!

the design needs another iteration on usability

• Ray says:

On the other hand, it is a good way of keeping children from accidentally opening the basement stair door (or other rooms you want to keep them out of) during a blackout etc.

• WZhangID says:

I think its a great idea,

It’s very expensive to provide electricity to a door handle in such a way (through the latch) since this means that you have to have an electrician wire it up. If there was a way to make this more renovation friendly that would be awesome!

-To what leadngraphite says, it’s be great if the stem could function more as a knob as well so when one does remove the lever handle to use as a flashlight you are not left with an “un” ergonomic stub.

• KEK says:

I saw the similar concept few years ago…
    Same person, by any chance?

I’ve found the link just now.

• Jason Wang says:

Not sure if the detachable handle is the safest idea as other people have said, but the ambient lighting is awesome.

• Jeff Daniel says:

Truly an amazing piece of functionality and creativeness splashed with ingenuity!

• bill says:

I second the unsafe remarks… could be disastrous in a fire situation should the first person grab the light and flee without taking others along who fumble with the remaining nub and burn up. It seems like the design could work if you have a second go at it.

• engineering_thoughts says:

Interesting… I see other opportunities for room availability using colored LEDs – lock status too…

To address the issue of detachable handles… You’ve converted a door handle into a door knob. I have lived with door knobs for my entire life and, somehow, I have figured out how to escape my bedroom.

• SShiverBBrains says:

Exactly my first reaction.

Also, do anyone know if it is possible to recharge a battery with a 1/8 rotation of a door handle a couple times a day? Doesn’t that technology require multiple full rotations at high speed, especially if the light is constantly on?

• KEK says:

Hmm.. the link I post was deleted.
    Here’s another link( to the same domain).

• delo says:

Very good idea, maybe the best.

• Jimmy C says:

The problem with this design is, when the door is open, the risk of electrocution is twice as great as a normal outlet. Unless you can somehow stop the flow of electricity when there is no connector?

• Javierbal says:

El primer usuario podra coger la manivela y utilizarla de linterna, el segundo usuario se encontrara la puerta sin manivela y no podra abrirla dadoq eu no hay suficiente espacio entre la curva y la zona de anclaje de linterna para una mano y poder girar, deberias revisr eso

• Ik says:

Briljant dit

• Kini says:

Good Idea.

Problem: If you took out the flash light, the will be no doorhandle any more.

Solve: Design the flashlight whit an hole in it. If u remove the flashlight an small pole will left to open the door

And by the way: u can charge the flashlight over induction whit this design.

Good luck whit ur ideas 😉

• Steve says:

Hey!
    This is perfect for the outside of a safe room or when you are running from zombies at night. As you run thru the house grab a flashlight and at the same time keep them from being able to follow you!!!

• After I originally left a comment I seem to have clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now
    whenever a comment is added I recieve 4 emails with the exact same comment.
    Is there an easy method you are able to remove me from that service?
    Thanks a lot!

• Twila says:

This piece of writing is truly a good one it
    helps new web people, who are wishing in favor of blogging.