Discovering Musical Culture

One of my favorite things about visiting new cities is being able to soak up the unique musical culture that exists within each individual place. The Insono focuses this idea into an aesthetically playful and easy to use location-based mp3 player that gives local unsigned artists the chance to broadcast their music and users the chance to experience the musical soundtrack unique to their new surroundings , enhancing their overall connection and affinity for the culture.

The device uses GPS and track-tagging technology to broadcast local musician’s songs specific to each neighborhood, creating a “soundtrack to life” in each area the user visits. To find out more information about a song, the user simply presses the “info” button to receive the artist’s name, track titles, as well as where and when the artist will be performing. A great way for local artists to expand their fan-base while providing the listener with a deeper appreciation of the newfound environment.

Designer: Josh Liandu

‘INSONO’ from Josh Liandu on Vimeo.

• Bowmanave says:

Great little spot, Philly always finds a way to please!

• Bowmanave says:

Great little spot, Philly always finds a way to please!

• Jimmy C says:

I do not understand this concept. The video did nothing to define what this little box does. Perhaps Mr. Liandu could explain in more detail?

• A.l. Noah says:

And why the hell it is so bulky

• A.l. Noah says:

And why the hell it is so bulky

• Hi there.

Thanks to Yanko for the post, and thanks to all who appreciated, enjoyed, and understood INSONO.

Jimmy C – I've created an MP3 player that connects unsigned artists with people on the move. INSONO encourages users to physically seek out new music, creating a soundscape to the landscapes they are exploring. Using Arduino, INSONO uses coordinates from a GPS unit to trigger different tracks on an MP3 trigger, in the different areas. It then uses a GSM [cellular] shield to send the text containing information on the current artist playing – as demonstrated in the video. I hope this answers your query.

A.I.Noah – INSONO has been built as a physical representation of a digital service. Being a product, it creates conversation that an application never will. The reason for it being so bulky, is the simple fact that – being an honours project – it had to work. INSONO therefore had to contain an Arduino Duemilanove, GSM shield, GPS unit + ariel, MP3 trigger, lithium-ion battery, and a headphone jack. With more funding behind it, INSONO would obviously be made a lot smaller, unfortunately, all I could do was work with the budget I had. I hope this answers your query.

Regards.

• Hi there.

Regards.

• meira says:

This would be an awesome little device if it were smaller. I think size is always a factor, and with mp3 players becoming smaller all the time this needs to be too.

• meira says:

• Pingback: Insono
  • Paul says:

I think the fact that this works and isn’t a concept is pretty amazing.

Much respect to yourself good sir.

I really hope it catches on and apple doesn’t steal it!