Inflatable Fairing

Rain, snow, and cold weather can be incredibly discouraging for even the most serious biking enthusiasts. Inflatable Fairing was designed with this in mind. The inflatable lightweight shield provides temporary armor against the elements and can quickly be deflated and tucked away in a small protective casing attached to the bike. This is a serious solution for all those cycling addicts out there.

Designer: Mohsen Saleh

• Fer Villanueva de A says:

I dont think its a bad idea, however it has several flaws; the users position is weird, I mean no one goes in that position unless you are in a marathon race; If you are in the city, you haverto stop because of cars, people and lights, and as the renders show, the shelter is too low so if you stand up, the user wouldnt be comfortable. Nice try!

• i would love to see such a system for recumbent riding.

• Yuri says:

Not always but usually when the elements are involved, the wind is thrown in for good measure as well. When it is, these contraptions become inconvenient to say the least, even hazardous if a strong side wind is involved. A bicycle rider should know that good aerodynamics are of the out most importance.

• Mike Barnard says:

I found the pedals in the rear hub to be very odd. I used to read odd human powered magazines and websites regularly and have owned recumbents and unicycles in addition to street and mountain bikes, but had never seen rear-wheel pedals. I did find exactly one video of such a bike, but zero other references after a few minutes of Google-bashing.

This design is just broken from the beginning. The designer is unclear on the basics of biking and on where the significant amounts of rigid bits in his fairing would be stored. As someone else pointed out, side winds are a problem and fairings have to be located as low as possible in relationship to center-of-gravity, which is another failure of this design.

• 这样就可以不用伸直腰来踩单车了

• 这样就可以不用伸直腰来踩单车了

• Mosen Saleh says:

Hey Guys.
    Thank you for the comments, I do accept the weirdness of the bike and also the fact that its not comfortable, this bike was my first try to design a new concept bike from scratch and different from whatever i had seen before …by the way, this post is mainly about the concept of inflatable rain shield.
    I am not anymore in favor of the this uncomfortable pos so i am working on the concept to adapt it for recumbent and velomobiles…
    any comment?

• Adam says:

hi
    its easier just to wear the right clothes.when cycling in the rain, a lo of water comes from the wheels and from the ground..
    you might also need a windscreen wiper????

• HVB says:

As someone who rides a bike 300km a week, id say 70% of the wet come from spray off tyres. This riding position is also extremely in-efficient and a real ball crusher! poor idea poorly executed.

• Victor says:

All the weight of your body falling into your… in that position… I don't think is at any way a confortable position.

• Mike Barnard says:

I'd start with looking at prior art for recumbent fairings. http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/Plans/how_to_buil

The most efficient removable fairing I've encountered was the lycra sock that would be stretched over the bike and was easily stowed in a small space. You'd have to improve on that.

Generally when biking you're generating a lot of heat. Maintaining airflow past the passenger is important. For practical fairings for weather protection and general streamlining, which is where you seem to be heading with the blow-up fairing idea, protection in front and along the sides and a bit lower is probably the target, not an overhead fairing.

As mentioned earlier, keeping the vector of force from side winds very low, preferably below axle height will be key to any really usable fairing.

If you're interested in slower speed cycling with rain protection, consider an inflatable arch with a very low side volume from the side. Aerodynamics moving slowly don't matter as much and side gusts won't throw you off the road. Combined with fenders for the wheels, you'd achieve perhaps 60% reduction in passenger wetness. Worth it? Hard to say.

• decaPODA says:

WHY GOD WHY???
    what about wind killing your paddles ??
    what about getting blown in opposite wind??
    what about air pockets created by other fast moving biggies??

what about just taking a shelter in case of rain??

• Mosen Saleh says:

Thank you Mike!
    I really enjoyed your comment , the link was so helpful as well ,I would work on the last part as you said…a simple inflatable shelter which is open from side to side, in this way getting on the would be also more practical…

• Delmur says:

that is a good idea. but as a designer too and a daily bike rider. I would suggest you to design one for regular bikes.
    maybe it could be inserted inside a vest ? something that can be folded or packed in a small pocket.
    check out this product. http://www.thegreenhead.com/2011/03/jakpak-waterp

• Nice design. But I guess this might add weight to the biker and might slower him/her down. But it’s good nonetheless.

• Your style is so unique in comparison to other people I have read
    stuff from. Thank you for posting when you
    have the opportunity, Guess I’ll just bookmark this site.

• Lashunda says:

Quality content is the crucial to attract the visitors to visit the
    web site, that’s what this site is providing.

• I blog frequently annd I really thank you forr your content.
    This great article has really peaked my interest.
    I’m going to book maqrk your blog aand keep checking for neew information about oncee per
    week. I subscribed to your Feed too.

• Yvonne says:

My relatives always say that I am killing my time here at web, except I know I am
    getting familiarity every day by reading thes good content.