Invisible Chair

Ben Alun-Jones’ latest work is an attempt at the impossible: invisibility. ‘There is something of an ideology in chair design,’ he explains, ‘that really what you want to sit on is nothing – like you’re supported by air. That’s how I began creating a chair that, in a way, wasn’t there. A structure made out of light.’ The ‘Affinity Chair’ is unlikely to win any prizes for comfort, but it pulls off an impressive vanishing act.

Plastic acrylic sheet and one-way mirror film are used to create a structure that reflects and merges with its surroundings. The chair not only responds to and camouflages itself to match its environment, it also interacts directly with the sitter: sensors activate pulsing LEDs hidden within its frame that quicken like a heart beat as it is approached. The effect is eerie: as the chair is lit from within, its reflective surfaces becomes transparent and all its edges are illuminated. The chair’s disappearance is an attempt at escape; yet this strangely animate object remains rooted to the spot, it’s vanishing body revealing a further hidden space within.

Alun-Jones’ explains his work as using technology itself as an artistic medium to challenge existing perceptions. His materials are unconventional – LEDs, ultrasonic sensors, custom-built and programmed circuit boards. The result is new, challenging, and anything but robotic.

The Affinity Chair will feature at the Royal College of Art Interim Show (Wed 2nd – Mon 7th Feb) as well as appearing at V&A Connects with… ARTS THREAD (Tues 25th Jan) and the V&A Digital Festival (Sat 5th March), both at the Victoria & Albert Museum, London.

Materials:
Acrylic, Mirror Film, LED, Ultrasonic sensor, Custom Electronics and Code

Photography : Luke Bennett

Designer: Ben Alun-Jones

• Julia says:

I very much enjoyed seeing this one at the show. the pictures don't give the product justice, it's so much more fun in real

• Julia says:

• sss says:

vhat??????? dis ting ain't invisibull!!!!!!!

• sss says:

vhat??????? dis ting ain't invisibull!!!!!!!

• poopy says:

I see the chair… and its not invisible its invisibull. :0

• poopy says:

I see the chair… and its not invisible its invisibull. :0

• Funny Stuff says:

I think this chair is great, obviously its not totally invisible because that would be ridiculous! How would you know where to sit, very impractical. Great looking piece of furniture which would be the talking point of any party…

• Funny Stuff says:

• Safiyyah says:

I really like this one. I could see this being used in a upscale night club or lounge.

• Safiyyah says:

• Buen says:

Invisibility effect is probably better when you see the chair live

• Buen says:

Invisibility effect is probably better when you see the chair live

• sneblot says:

I really like this chair great idea, I was at first a little dubious about it being invisible but when you watch the video it really does appear to disappear. Though you might not want to have one if you suffer with epilepsy.

• sneblot says:

• Does this remind anyone else of krypton??? or is it just me

• Does this remind anyone else of krypton??? or is it just me

• The amazing designs you find never cease to amaze me. I could really see these in a night club….is the medium fingerprint-resistant?

• 2046 says:

now i know what it call pain in the ass.

• marmoter says:

Thanks for sharing. It is impressive. By the way, we are an online shop wholesale china electronics such as mobile phones, tablet PC, mp3 player and so on. You are welcome to visit our shop for any shopping purpose. Have a nice day.

• marmoter says:

• It is a unique and attractive chair.Thanks for sharing this impressive creation.

• Nice… Idea about invisible Chair..looks Great