What a Sterile Door!

Until we can cure common communicable diseases, our best defense is prevention. Door knobs and handles are huge breeding grounds for those microscopic bastards so why not create self-steralizaing door handles? BAM, we’ve got one here for you called wait for it… the Door Handle with Self-Steralization System. Uses UV light to do the dirty work. Simple design and effective. Explains why it won a Red Dot concept award.

Door Handle With Self-sterilization System is a Red Dot Design Concept winning entry.

Designer: Choi Bomi

• Wogga says:

Hmm, make it out of copper alloys like brass and bronze,like people of the world have been doing and you accomplish the same thing with no expensive gadgetry or electricity!

• Wogga says:

• Spinningmind says:

If you could get a large enough percentage of the population using these I bet we could breed some great UV resistant bacteria strains. Do it for science!

• Spinningmind says:

• Micht work better with Infra Red, and the advantage is that anyone trying to use it before it is completely clean is heavily burned. Never does it again !

• Melchior says:

UV-C light is needed to kill bacteria, which is very hazardous!

• Hobby says:

UV-C is dangerous for your eyes (like all of the UV spectrum). It does not penerate the thick skin on the palm of your hand and since you're only touching it briefly, poses no threat. The eye problem remains, though.

Should they really employ UV-C, this thing isnt going to make it to the market in quite a few countries.

• Melchior says:

UV-C light is needed to kill bacteria, which is very hazardous!

• Hobby says:

• This is over engineered. Using copper alloys as Wogga mentioned is probably ideal if it can prevent transmission. We can alternatively design better interactions where there is no door handle.

• Hmm.. Good design concept, I think.
    But… You said that this door handle concept is an entry in red-dot, but I have searched in red-dot, I used keyword "door", "uv lamp", "choi bomi", and I didn't find this entry. Can you help me find it?

• Hmm.. Good design concept, I think.
    But… You said that this door handle concept is an entry in red-dot, but I have searched in red-dot, I used keyword “door”, “uv lamp”, “choi bomi”, and I didn't find this entry. Can you help me find it?

• VMF says:

UV must have output <185nm!!
    Plus the UV power the expos.time is critical!!!
    And the dust will block the UV light……

• VMF says:

UV must have output <185nm!!
    Plus the UV power the expos.time is critical!!!
    And the dust will block the UV light......

• wzhang says:

Cool idea, however I would worry about someone getting their fingers pinched in between the lever and switch, along with the above comments/concerns.

• wzhang says:

• Oki – This idea is simply amazing. Today I saw a lot of cool products and made me think – where can I buy them from? I WOULD love to make a club for geeks and fill it with cool inventions 🙂

• Grant says:

You can order locks straight from manufacturer with anti-microbial finish for like $50 more

• Having read this I believed it was rather informative. I appreciate you spending some time and effort to put this short article together. I once again find myself spending a lot of time both reading and leaving comments. But so what, it was still worthwhile!|

• Wow! This doorknob looks so fancy! I will definitely buy one for my front door! Colyers Carpet Cleaners Ltd.