Solar Bean Cooker

Everything you want in a solar cooker, it’s right here, right now, in this “Solar Ibex.” You can cook whatever you want, too, not just beans. The Solar Ibex has the ability to cook, boil, and back at up to 300 degrees celsius, and features an adjustable timer. Foldable, lightweight, packable, and a zero carbon footprint. Built-in gear motors and an auto tracking sun ray concentrator drive the parabolic reflector towards the sun at all times, acquiring all the best rays for your soups and and noodles. I’d like one of these for my apartment deck!

The grill has three safety pins in place to hold whatever size pot you’d like to boil your water in, while the adjustable height works to create different heating characteristics like a concentrated beam for boiling and a spread beam for baking.

360 degrees of tracking, and three legs for ultimate stability!

Designer: Nir Beit-av

• johnbonjovie says:

in order for this to work, you will require an intense amount of light. so much so that you would be just as well placing a pan on a hot stone and not having to lug the entire dish around. still, progress is not always perfect

• johnbonjovie says:

• engineers for the US says:

Solar cookers are well used around the globe, just about everywhere except the US.
    In the US we don't cook food. We buy fat bombs from drive thru windows.

This looks like a good design. I would add a clear IR transparent plastic cover to reduce
    air currents. The tracking idea looks great.

• engineers for the US says:

In the US we don't cook food. We buy fat bombs from drive thru windows.

air currents. The tracking idea looks great.

• Rosacea says:

I tried making a simple cooker with aluminum foil and other materials. Didn't work. I didn't realize it required so much concentration of sunlight. Anyway, this looks a little big to take on a camping trip. 😉

• Rosacea says:

• anon says:

Interesting though it doesn't seem to address the real problems of a cloudy day, cooking after dark or a typical Manhattan apartment dweller with no access to the roof and 2 hours of direct sunlight a day. Also couldn't you take a real moment and make it a little more aesthetically pleasing – it's a little on the industrial side for most.

• Alaor says:

I really find it aesthetically pleasing. Maybe it's for the industrial aspect. Also, I think that normal cooking has been addressed already (at least in most kitchens).

• anon says:

• Alaor says:

• Style and a modern-timer approach to environmental cooking – learn to cook because fat bombs are not healthy,sometimes?
    good thinking.

good thinking.

• armel says:

can you please inform me how much it weighs? lightweight yes, but how lightweight? also, dimensions would be nice to know.

• armel says:

• Seeker says:

Compare with this: http://designboom.com/contest/view.php?contest_pk… Is not it much easier and more beautiful? 🙂

• Seeker says: