How Low Can You Cellphone Limbo?

AKA how simple can you design a mobile phone? Pretty darn simple. Designer Andrew Kim had a qualm with the HTC group, that being the fact that there’s no real perfectly simple way to differentiate between lots of “lower-end” phones and “premium models”, especially in the HTC line. So what’s he do? He simplifies. Don’t you see, everyone, we’re in the age of simplicity! The age of graphic design perfection, where the Bauhaus school of design handed us down the square shapes, so perfect in proportions that it took us 50 years to accept it! Here’s the “HTC 1.”

The Bauhaus was and is a graphic design (and industrial design, and lots of different kinds of design) school that pushes functionality. No frills! They used to go so far in that school to design chairs that people collect their old chairs as art pieces, never to be sat upon!

Yes, we are really in that age now, one where perfection must be achieved through simplicity. And Kim has a masterpiece right here. Look at this wonderful phone! Today’s phone world is all about the power on the inside and yes, as Kim completely understands, the flawlessness on the outside.

NOTE also how Kim uses an Apple sensibility when writing copy for his design images, but using Helvetica instead of the font Apple employs (Myriad). How very interesting!

Designer: Andrew Seunghyun Kim

htc112

htc113

htc114

htc116

htc115

• Nicholas says:

I really love this phone! I want to get it as soon as I can…if only I had some money to buy the phone and service…

• Melch says:

Really, really nice phone!

The only things that bothers me are the UV light and the machined brass.

The coating of the brass may wear off quickly because you put it in you pocket, bag, etc often and this wears off the coating exposing the brass.

Secondly, you need UV-C to kill germs effectivly and that is very hazardous radiation!

The text says it has a glass front, the glass needs to be made out of quartzglass to let the UV through or else it wouldn’t pass through and thus won’t kill the germs, normal glass blocks most of the UV.

The UV may also damage the phone on the long term, like discoloration and degrading of plastics.

• djutopie says:

Only Apple can build a phone like this. Every other manufacturers don’t think about design that’s sad..

• fb says:

If there’s one company to go against the grain, HTC is the one to do it. They build fantastic machines.

But, that being said, this design’s Achilles heel is in the swivel stand. That thing would snap off in one drop.

• quantum says:

The phone does indeed look closer to an HTC product than an Apple one, and i agree with you about the whole kickstand thing.

And just something else to mention i find funny, the interior layout of the phone in the exploded veiw is identical to the interior layout of the iphone 4.

• Jo says:

Truly beautiful – form and functionality.

• Very promising, I feel. Why should Apple always seem to corner the market on clean design? This needn’t be the case.

• Rupert says:

Can but hope that HTC see this design and produce something along these lines, without the UV stuff.

As others have said beautiful design, the best ideas are normally the simplest, certainly the case with this design.

• Ed Lister says:

What program would one use to create the phone graphics shown here?

Thanks

• Arms says:

I dont like the look of this phone but I do like the interface.. ALOT!

@djutopie
    I fine HTC phone's have a far more attractive design then Apples Iphone (any of them).

@Ed Lister
    I think Illustrator will do just fire for something like this.

• Arms says:

I dont like the look of this phone but I do like the interface.. ALOT!

@djutopie

@Ed Lister
    I think Illustrator will do just fire for something like this.

• cynthia xin says:

with my opinion

• cynthia xin says:

with my opinion

• ebony says:

HTC 1?
    isnt there a HTC HD7 out now?
    i have a htc hd2 ..

• ebony says:

HTC 1?
    isnt there a HTC HD7 out now?
    i have a htc hd2 ..

• d says:

when will this phone be out on sale? Really looking forward to test it

• d says:

when will this phone be out on sale? Really looking forward to test it

• Cedrik says:

And now look at the actual HTC One… A lot of similarities!

• Cedrik says:

And now look at the actual HTC One… A lot of similarities!
    And that 3 years later.

• Johnny5 says:

Don’t forget about UV degrading/damaging your corneas as well.

I for one will NOT be looking at a phone when it’s throwing off UV light.

• My partner and I absolutely love your blog and find the majority of your post’s to be just what I’m
    looking for. can you offer guest writers to write content in your case?
    I wouldn’t mind writing a post or elaborating on most of the subjects
    you write in relation to here. Again, awesome site!

• It’s actually a great and useful piece of information. I am satisfied that
    you just shared this useful information with us. Please stay us
    informed like this. Thank you for sharing.

• Maribel says:

You can buy rechargeable power products for any sort of operator.
    There are models of four types that are usually referred to by
    the size of their included hard disc drive; 20, 40,
    60 and 80 gigabyte models. For hardcore gamers, teens and older males, the choice would be either the XBOX 360 or the Playstation 3.

• Hiya very cool site!! Guy .. Beautiful .. Amazing ..
    I will bookmark your site and take the feeds also? I’m glad to find so many useful
    info right here in the post, we’d like develop more strategies on this regard, thanks for sharing.
    . . . . .