20 Best Of Best Red Dot Product Design Winners

Red Dot Design Awards has just announced their Product Design winners. Here is a pick of my favorite 20 of the 45 “Best Of Best” winners, in totally random order. Creative industrial/product design is at its best. Some are inspirational pieces while others are classic originals! Come in and take a look!

20) CH04 Houdini by e15 – Stefan Diez Design

red_dot

Bending bendy wood! An art that very few venture into, but worth the efforts if the results are going to be as classy as this Houdini chair number 4! The basic shape of this chair is created by first bending two-dimensional plywood by hand around a complexly milled solid wood ring to form the back. To make the curved two dimensional elements stay in place, the scale-like arrangement of the slabs is then glued to the base to produce the self-contained seat shell.

19) Batou CS Decoration Fabric by Nya Nordiska Textiles

red_dot2

This versatile fabric can be used as curtains or as a partition screen. The rich embossed material adapts to the form and your creative inspiration.

18 ) Dyson Air Multiplier by Dyson

red_dot3

Bladeless fan! Defying the normal perception of a fan…the Dyson Air Multiplier sans blades is very powerful and can expel up to 450 liters of cool, uninterrupted air every second!

17) CBNes 6256 by Liebherr-Hausgeräte

red_dot4

Defining itself as a BioFresh freshness centre, this fridge has three different climate zones with optimum temperatures for your food. Combining aesthetic appeal with cutting-edge technology, the CBNes 6256 features LED lighting technology, freezer drawers mounted on telescopic rails and user panel featuring the MagicEye control system.

16) Grohe Ondus Digitecture by Grohe

red_dot5

Bathing gets the digital edge with the Grohe Ondus Digitecture. It features a system capable of memorizing individual preferences like water temperature and pressure.

15) Velux Sun Tunnel by Ross Lovegrove

red_dot6

Sun Tunnel takes inspiration from the sun, and channelizes natural light to the form of a ceiling lamp. A long tube-like tunnel brings natural daylight from the roof of a building to the ceiling of otherwise electrically lit rooms. The formal mediator for the light being directed from the outside comes in the shape of a fascinatingly organic-looking lamp body. This body functions as an additional diffuser that both enhances the natural light and spreads it in dynamic light reflections across the room. Just like almost any electric lamp, the natural light of this lamp can be directed and adjusted according to user’s needs.

14) Fiskars X Range by Fiskars

red_dot7

Redesigning the simple axe to look something totally cool and awesome!

13) Lucifer Drysuit by Pryde Group

red_dot8

Kitesurfers needed something spectacular to surf in and Lucifer Drysuit is their answer. The jacket and pants are joined at the waist in order to conceal the back side of the protective harness: it is not only keeps safely in place, but also can withstand strong forces when the rider is being lifted into the air.

12) Cosmolite by Samsonite

red_dot9

Samsonite spells opulence and elegance and that tradition continues with the Cosmolite series. This luggage collection features a design of eye-catching ridges that run along the sides and taper towards the bottom, giving the body of the luggage the appearance of a glimmering seashell. It even includes the innovative Curv® technology, making it a durable beauty.

11) Helix by Monoqool

red_dot10

The spiral ends of this frame give it a unique look and explore a new approach towards the understanding and construction of eyewear. It does away with the hinge and focuses on the spiral instead.

10) Container Scope by AnL Studio

red_dot11

Container Scope is an instillation at the port city of Incheon in South Korea, where visitors come to capture the essence of sun setting into the sea. The arrangement of the containers overcomes the limitations of the building site, so that viewers get the full view of the sunset.

9) TANDBERG Performance Mic 20 by TANDBERG Design Team

red_dot12

An easy to use communication device at virtual conferences, the Performance Mic 20 is your perfect media peripheral. As a broadband table microphone it takes into account the specific acoustics of the conference room. It is intuitive to use and its functions are self-explanatory. The mute switch is integrated into the control panel and the double mode LED display informs participants about the microphone status.

8 ) 3M Littmann Model 3200 by 3M Littmann Stethoscopes

red_dot13

This is a stethoscope that I’d love to gift my doctor on Doctor’s Day! It’s got excellent ergonomics, more detailed sound quality and can communicate via Bluetooth with diagnostic software for additional assessment. A patient heart sounds can thus be recorded during auscultation and directly analyzed by murmur detection software developed by Zargis Medical Corp. Basically a cool looking doctor gear!

7) Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Coupé

red_dot14

The Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG reinterprets the styling of the 300 SL and in a fascinating approach that manages to maintain the styling of the classic model, yet also adds something entirely new to it. I love the doors! When both are up and open, they make the Merc look MAGNIFCENT!

6) Rolls-Royce Ghost

red_dot15

Inspired by the majestic styling of a yacht, the Rolls-Royce Ghost is a dream machine! “Simplicity is the hardest design principle to follow,” says Ian Cameron, chief designer at Rolls-Royce, thus expressing the most central principle that all his designs follow: what he means is the kind of simplicity which develops organically out of complexity.

5) Peugeot RCZ Coupé

red_dot16

The Peugeot RCZ Coupé captures the “fun car” essence and delivers it immaculately. The coupe features a silhouette with broad wings and aluminum roof edges that are particularly captivating in their appearance. The design features non-slip steering-wheel, ergonomic body-contour seats with soft leather and slanted, user-friendly centre console and an environmentally friendly engine.

4) Reference 52 LCD TV by Loewe AG

red_dot17

Inspired by Coco Chanel’s design philosophy, the Reference 52 LCD TV skillfully focuses on the essentials and communicates an elegant design. The device integrates receivers for DVB-T, DVB-C and DVB-S, including HDTV reception, as well as an installed hard disk recorder, all of which can be operated comfortably via its one single remote control.

3) iPad by Apple

red_dot18

Much has been said and written about the iPad, and one thing is for sure it’s one helluva sleek design that conforms to the Apple standard. It’s the sleekest and the besttest!

2) Adamo XPS by Dell

red_dot19

red_dot19_2

The unique kickstand form factor incorporated into the design, gives Adamo XPS the cutting edge over its contemporaries. What’s more the stand only goes to enhance the notebooks beauty.

1) USB Clip by Emamidesign

red_dot20_3

red_dot20

red_dot20_2

The USB Clip has been designed with this intention that one day we will be sending documents with additional info via USB sticks. That day, this sleek USB Clip will come into use. The attractive colors and form, make the clip a winning design.

• usb clip is usefull nice

• ... says:

I hate that stupid “bladeless” fan. what do you think is in the base people? A regular ole’ FAN… with blades.

• Melch says:

yes it has a normal fan inside the base, but do you know how the ring works? I guess not, or else you wouldn’t “hate” it.

• A.C. says:

Also, lest we forget the fact that it’s so much easier to clean, the amount of dirt that an ordinary fan accumulates is quite significant, so the Dyson Air Multiplier is perfect in that respect. My only caveat is that the Tower version is 10x better looking, that’s the one I’m waiting for, beautiful piece of design (to those who haven’t seen it visit the Dyson site).

• Vincent says:

easier to clean? don’t you think about cleaning the fan once in a while? just like your PC fan it will suck up dust. and all of the will stay inside the housing and will only go and make more noise after a while 🙂
          So you could say the outside is easier to clean, but the fan itself is only harder to clean 🙂 still, I do like the design 🙂

🙂

• Mattias says:

But by having the fan in the base and directing the air into the ring you get a much higher effect (using the friction of the air, inducement, just like a jet) . So by using this "bladeless" way the fan can be made smaller, quieter and more energy efficient. I don't get how you can think that that is stupid?

• Mattias says:

But by having the fan in the base and directing the air into the ring you get a much higher effect (using the friction of the air, inducement, just like a jet) . So by using this “bladeless” way the fan can be made smaller, quieter and more energy efficient. I don't get how you can think that that is stupid?

• Mallory says:

It must not have occurred to you that it is also safer. If you have children, they wont stick their little fingers where the fan blades can get them.

• Jimmy C says:

I hate it when people pass judgement on a design they know nothing about. http://www.dyson.com/technology/airmultiplier.asp
      THERE! Read it and weep! Weep at your ineptitude for critisism and poor tolerance of good design!

• Jimmy C says:

• k2 herb says:

Very interesting designs! I really like them.

• mishachu says:

Why in the world is the iPad here?

It’s such a fail of product, it’s design is so horrible.

• since I now use an ipad for 90% of my computer needs, I would say you are very wrong in that.

• Olav says:

Design is ok! But the computing power and capabilities are far away from PC tablet! And the OS is very limited in capabilities! No multitasking, no choice of operating system! …. the list goes on! You cant even use the computer for presentation purposes as it has no vga port!

• Noah says:

Actually, there is multitasking with the recent software update from early December, and you can buy a thirty pin connector to VGA cable for presentations

• Olav says:

• Jacob says:

you see, i do not understand most of the words you used – multitasking, operating system, vga port? what is all that? i assume you speak and follow machine language, and in that respect – i guess a PC is best for you. i cannot even begin to fathom the tremendous amount of control you have over your PC, via two hundred keys that can be pressed in inumerable combinations. but then I am a simple fellow with simple needs – internet, music, video and a few dull games.

so you see, i feel nice that the ipad does for me the few things that i want, and speaks to me in human language, without ever accusing me – like my PC used to do – of performing illegal operations, as if it knew I was running an abortion clinic in my kitchen sink.

• Jimmy C says:

If you don't like it, you don't have to read about it. And who do you think knows better: you, or an entire organization dedicated to analyzing product desgns?

• Jimmy C says:

• Thanks for this interesting roundup of smart and beatiful design. I like the bladeless fan, the usb clip and also the new Dell laptop. Here are some ideas for next christmas…

• Charliek says:

Where can the USB Clip be bought?

• Shibli says:

I like Adamo XPS.. Wish i could have a laptop like this ever 🙂

• anna says:

how do I get this USB-sticks?

• anna says:

how do I get this USB-sticks?

• tharusha says:

Very nice/… I really like it… Its so awesome

• tharusha says:

Very nice/… I really like it… Its so awesome

• ohsmoof says:

More like crap you don't you.

• ohsmoof says:

More like crap you don't you.

• angie says:

nice lineup. the usb clip is my favorite. simple, fun and very useful ! *a

• angie says:

nice lineup. the usb clip is my favorite. simple, fun and very useful ! *a

• Cameron says:

I used an iPad to read this….. Lol.

• Cameron says:

I used an iPad to read this….. Lol.

• chiki says:

i want the stethoscope!!!!

• chiki says:

i want the stethoscope!!!!

• Noah says:

Same here 🙂

• Noah says:

• Azuris says:

By far my favourite item on the list was the USB clips, those are useful and I can visualise them being used on a daily basis.

My least favourite would have to be the chair, while it is attractive but in the end it is just a wooden chair made from bent wood. I realise the skill that it takes for someone to create such a chair but it also reminds me too much of Ikea. So I do not see the forward thinking design that I saw in the rest of the list.

• Azuris says:

• Andrew says:

Mmm, nice design for hi-tech sector 😉

• Andrew says:

Mmm, nice design for hi-tech sector 😉

• The Ninja says:

Very cool. My favorite is the USB paper clip.

• Jimmy C says:

My favorites are the fan, the sink, and the ax.

• chekira says:

i need one of though’s fans

• What a website you have here. You have a actual knack for making a weblog readable and easy about the eyes. Some sites appear like train wrecks, but not this 1 – it is a delight to study. Don’t have time to study all the posts right here, I found your blog while searching for something else on Yahoo. But I’ve saved your homepage and can go to it often to learn what’s new

• Jase says:

very logically stated! I do like the fan design, idea and physics went into this product but just like the other great designs, nothing can be perfect… 😛

• teigan says:

any child stupid enough to stick their fingers into a fan deserves to be injured. don’t interfere with evolution.

• “Incorporate all of them and you’re well on your way to seriously detoxing without ever going on a program. Keep in your mind that it can cleanse your large intestine only. It is also in charge of pumping nutrients into the bloodstream once food is digested.

• Garland says:

I’m not that much of a internet reader to be honest but your sites really nice, keep it up!
    I’ll go ahead and bookmark your site to come back down the road.
    Many thanks

• Most people also purchasing their own host from one way or another.
    You should always keep yourself abreast with the latest happenings in the seo world.

Article Source: in business is mostly about marketing, especially online.