Hoodie Light

I have a vested interest in soft electronics, particular mixing hardware with textiles. It’s nothing new but we are getting closer and closer to wearable clothes and that excites me. Take for example the Skôn which means nice in Dutch and Swedish. The rim of the hoodie has a knitted variable resistor and varies when you play with it. The changing resistance value changes the intensity of the light. There’s something ethereal about this. Even tho summer’s approaching, it makes me feel all warm and cozy inside.

Wearable Senses, Department of Industrial Design, Eindhoven University of Technology
Credits to: Gordon Tiemstra (camera), Elien Vergeer (model) and Michel Peeters and Carl Meegens (teachers involved).

Designers: Paula Kassenaar and Paula Segura Meccia

skôn from Paula Kassenaar on Vimeo.

Skôn Interactive Lighting Vest by Paula Kassenaar and Paula Segura Meccia

Skon2

• suisse says:

Sense; hello sense, where are you?

• Paula says:

Hey suisse,
      indeed the project does not make sense!
      It was created in one week during a class in which the focus lay on experimenting with electronics and textiles. Little time for thorough concept development indeed!
      I do however hope that as a simple experiment it can please you and other viewers.
      Cheers, Paula

• dustin says:

‘It’s nothing new but we are getting closer and closer to wearable clothes…’

It certainly is nothing new – wearable clothes have been around for quite some time already

• Катюшка says:

а мне нравится)
    и пофигу что нет смысла))

• mif991 says:

If it is nothing new and it doesn’t make sense, why is it here? Now, Dustin’s reply made my day….

• Jennifer says:

I LOVE this. A. The entire sweater is cute. Love the knit design of it. B. The integration of the lighting is done well. Simple and graceful. I could absolutely see this on a beach paired with either sweet linen capris or a nice flowing skirt. C. Please manufacture because I would like to purchase immediately. (size 32in chest, 24in waist) D. To the morons who have commented about the “sense” of the piece… It is a work of art, you imbeciles. It is beautiful, and therefore makes perfect sense.

• Катюшка says:

а мне нравится)
    и пофигу что нет смысла))

• Fritz says:

Hi, I’m Dutch myself and i’ve never heard the word ‘Skôn’ before. It’s definitely not a Dutch word. The right word for ‘nice’ should be ‘Leuk’.

And about the vest itself, I don’t see how this could be usefull to me. But hey, that’s personal.

Fritz
    Groningen, Netherlands

• Igor Kolar says:

“It’s nothing new but we are getting closer and closer to wearable clothes and that excites me.”

Priceless XD

Kidding aside, it seems like a lovely concept and it could bid well for pedestrian safety at night in low illumination areas. Plus it looks great.

• starrd says:

Who cares about practicality really 🙂 …I imagine that if there is a safe way to embed light into clothing, especially with colors, that it would be adopted immediately by the fashion world.

• nick says:

The fashion part of this is pretty cool. But imagine if you could embed the LED’s in the back to pulse if you were jogging. Also on the practical side, what if they were in the cuffs of the sleeves, it would be like having a little flashlight where ever you go. Cool stuff!