Is it One Chair, or is it More?

There is more! But there is also one. It is like a spore. A good spore! As the designer Jie-Jyun Lyu says, those who live in a small apartment like to have few pieces of furniture. But when too many people come over, you’ve gotta have more! So you need an amazing chair device such as this, one that’s both a single chair, but a bunch of shoot-off chairs that work just as nicely as the original. But with less bumps.

Each cushion chair combines to become Voltron, which is really big awesome and comfortably powerful. But as you know, when Voltron is apart, it’s five lions instead of just one big dude. That’s what this design is!

It’s the “Shair.” And as an added bonus: when the chairs are down off the frame, the frame becomes a rack for all your guests coats, hats, and whatever else they’ve decided to take off.

Course Director: Dr. Hsien-Hui TANG @ NTUST Design Dept.

Designer: Jie-Jyun Lyu

Shair single or multiple chair by Jie-Jyun Lyu

shair02

shair03

• Swiss JHG says:

Really class and stylish!

• meinv says:

• pthp52 says:

it is only too many piece in this design. As we konw, there are 3 or 4 people in one family ,so the pieces will be too many for the consumer.

• love says:

some people have more than 1 or two children. Some people also have friends and family come over & visit.

• love says:

• Oh, this totally reminds me one of my chairs that I designed in 2007: http://www.omcdesign.com/?design=50&type=Chair , yet I sincerely like this one, it a well-refined design.

• Victor Assis says:

It’s cool and looks feasible, but I have some doubts if it wouldn’t tumble down once you push your back against it.

• ceebee says:

that is one ugly chair.

• Ron Naylor says:

Congratulations on a strong innovative design.

The base really needs to be extended to the rear by 10cms to safe guard against a person suddenly leaning backwards when sitting down which would cause the Shair to fall backwards.

Toddlers have an inherent desire to climb, and could get injured as the chair topples.

Although squatting on one’s haunches is a common mode of sitting in Asia, adults in the Western sphere of influence would find sitting on such small sub-units uncomfortable. Children would love to sit on these sub-units however particularly at story time in kindergartens and school classes for children up to the age of nine years.

The concept is bound for economic success

• It’s cool and looks feasible.

• It’s cool and looks feasible.

• Jeff says:

what happens if you fart…… other people use farted on chairs?

• Jeff says:

what happens if you fart…… other people use farted on chairs?

• Kateweb says:

most people I know are not so keen on being that low to the ground , I also see one person wanting the big chair, so i'm not sure how well that this would work.

• Kateweb says:

• Jonas says:

A cool idea, awesome design concept. My only question would be how comfortable the big chair is. I'm guessing those individual chairs must be reinforced in the fold somehow so that might make them quite hard there.

• Jonas says:

• Alphabetix says:

That looks super comfy. Could use some support right now, typing away. Nice chair.

• Alphabetix says:

• Korina says:

This is an awesome idea!! Although, I keep thinking about what if you loose one of the mini chairs/ padding things… then you have a hole. hahaha

• Korina says:

• Julie says:

Very clever design!

• Chris Shaw says:

im pretty sure when i have visitors that they dont want to sit on the floor, did you think of that before jumping in?

the other thing is whether the whole chair is ergonomic, it doesn't look that comfortable to me because the gaps would cause pressure points along your spine.

• Chris Shaw says:

• Joe says:

That is SO cool!! All I can imagine are the adorable picture opportunities!