Recipes On Time

Julia Childs called me up in my dreams and told me the Kitchen Timer is totally approved. It’s a timing device that works with specially designed recipe cards. Like any card you have instructions only the Kitchen Timer goes one step further and provides visual and audio feedback on progress. If a set of instructions says to cook the chicken for 30 minutes, the arm will slide down the card in that exact amount of time. This is precision cooking. Flaws? Imagine if you had a really long recipe. Multiple cards or is that too cumbersome?

Designer: Emma Caselton

kitchen_timer

Kitchen Timer by Emma Caselton

kitchen_timer3

• Lamah says:

It’s a really cool concept, the schedule of events is often unclear in traditional recipes.

But I think it’d be kind of stressful cooking to the clock. I can see getting anxious and lost if you fell behind on the schedule.

• pelrun says:

I really like this – good for those recipes with plenty of time in between steps. Would be even nicer if it could sound an alarm when it passed the line marking each key point.

• Josh Baker says:

This would be nice…

… on a computer

… without the need to acquire or store lots of cards

• Morder says:

How many people have computers in their kitchen? What would make it better would be to have an e-ink paper with a programmable rom to tell the timer the info, that way you can hook it up to a computer to download the info to it and then stick it to your fridge.

• Rhendi says:

More people are requesting computers in their kitchen. We usually place it under the kitchen wall cabinet hung from an upside down swiveling laptop desktop mount, which is not ideal but there is nothing better out there.

This set up looks OK but it could look (and work) a lot better.

An articulated swiveling laptop mount specifically designed for this use should be developed by somebody.

• tejas says:

the invention is tooo nice..

• Paul Renault says:

Now, all you need to do is print various recipes on clear sheets, with the ‘Enjoy!’ all lined up at the bottom, so you can mix and match the various recipes and insert the stack of sheets at into the timer.

Or: have software that, after selecting the various dishes desired in the menu, will print out a sheet suitable for the timer.

Great design!

• ohjohnsmall says:

Timers are bad for cooking. Every time you cook something, the timing differs according to things like the quality of the ingredients, size of pans, ovens, how the ingredients are prepped, weather… endless variables. Have to use intuition and senses. Humbug on timers.

• Baldyman1966 says:

surely the problem with this is that the Marker just decends at a set rate, so it takes 2 1/2 hours to get to the end. This is fine for the example shown, but anything longer wont fit and anything complex, but with shorter cooking time will get too cramped at the top of the page.

• Vault says:

Wow, that is unbelievably simple and awesome. Can’t believe it hasn’t been done before. I’d certainly use it.

• O. says:

Nice! BTW, her last name is “Child”, no “s”.

• Tama Abaya says:

I really like your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you make this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you? Plz reply as I’m looking to design my own blog and would like to find out where u got this from. thank you

• Tama Abaya says:

• Torie says:

Nohtnig I could say would give you undue credit for this story.

• Link exchange is nothing else except it is simply placing the other person’s website link on your page at proper place
    and other person will also do similar for you.