Better Than Bubble Wrap Says Mother Nature

Plastic bubbles wraps are one of the chief sources of environmental degradation since our world revolves around the packaging and transport of goods. The Paper Wrap offers the same level of protection but at a very neutral cost to the planet. A precut symmetric pattern similar to a steel grate buffers precious goods but I see two faults. One, the flexibility of bubble wrap makes it more usable in a wide array of applications. Two, I can’t pop paper wrap and everyone knows humans have an OCD fascination with popping bubbles.

Designers: Wonjae Lee, Sunkyu Kim & Sangjun Hahn

• fb says:

here the environmentalists go again and destroy our fun.

explain to me how does one pop paper wrap?

• Will C says:

This is typical Korean design – stupid, and creates new problems when solving ones.

All the pattern does it protect the item from scratches. It DOES NOT absorb any significant shock force/damage, which is what bubble wrap would (the air acts as a cushion). What would happen is once it absorbs any shock force (probably in the first minute of usage), it would turn back into a flat piece of paper = no protection for the rest of the transport.

Also bubble wrap is increasingly being replaced with those small bubble bags, of which are 100% recycled.

• X says:

Sorry sir..

am mad at your reply that you said the typical Korean design is stupid.

That’s not the stupid design.

8s kind of concept design, so it gives more design Idea.

I think you just don’t recognize what the desiners intended…

It’s from their imagination and desire to develop the Bubble wrap. For sure it’s uncontrollerble i mean not easy to wrap.

Roll the wrap around what you gonna send and

tape it and tape it and tape it.

Do you think is that perpect method of wraping?

you spend a lot of tapes is that for environment?

Can you say the Bubble wrap in the market will not be changed forever??? I don’t think so.

Everything you want to be stay should be stay and stop?

then.. just give up design.

• let's C says:

then you try..

• let's C says:

then you try..

• enoo says:

So far the best thing I’ve seen that was both efficient and environmental friendly is simply shredded cardboard (old and used cardboard, of course).
    It was an good replacement to the styrofoam blocks there’s in some package.

This thing just look like a bad copy of that.

(But sadly, you can’t pop shredded cardboard either ๐Ÿ™‚ )

• Koala says:

It’s a new way to approach packaging and I like that, but this idea really doesn’t serve its function as well as many current alternatives.

If you want a great way to pack using paper, look to your handy shredder.

• Koala says:

Guess you just beat me to the suggestion, but it’s good know we’re on the same line of thinking.

• precious Sue says:

great, simply great!
    I like its shape. I wonder why it hasn’t been thaught of before. well…Nice actually see it too ๐Ÿ™‚

• k.a.r. says:

I remember I used to have something like that and my finger would always get stuck in it when I tried to take it out (I stuck it in through the pointy end).

• Marzaday says:

I am really sorry but this wont work….. well for any odject that isn’t flat anyway. Bubble wrap is much more flexible and therefore can cope with 3D surfaces much better than cardboard. Not all products are square and flat (Exception:- Apple :))

On the flipside there is no progress without failiures to learn from. It is part of the design process, so dont get unset or disheartened. There is something in this idea, it just needs a rethink.

Listen to the criticism and make ammendments accordingly. I look forward to seeing a rethought redesign……. Possibly?

• lay says:

sorry, but it won’t work

• Hmmm Well says:

Does too work! Well in a slightly better implemented paper bubble wrap design. See video of it already working and in production as http://www.geami.com

• Is this available for purchase?

• Some of you people need to back off. Have you put thought into and actually created something to try to solve something you see as a problem? Shut up until you do.
    There are a lot of problems with this design, but it has potential. Keep looking into this.