For when Disabled Folks want to Consolidate!

For the disabled person, or the person who’s name is Homer Simpson, certain solutions for everyday living are lacking. In a home that has stairs and a bed (most homes have these!), the wheelchair, patient lifter, uppers, downers, go-arounders, are just not enough on their own. Mr. Christen Halter just may have a combo machine for the win.

Mr. Christen Halter, designer of the Home Chare, shares the following:

The Home Chare enables three different adjustment positions – lying, sitting and standing. In lying position it is adjusted to the same level as a sick bed. The attendant pulls the lying patient on to the Home Chare. The device is then adjusted in to sitting position which replaces a wheelchair. The attendant doesn’t have to lift up the patient.

Affordable? Probably not until they become standardized, at which point it’s going to be a whole lot easier for disabled folks, (or whoever else feels the need!,) to get around the house and whatnot.

Complete self-reliance for people who once needed assistance to simply get out of bed!

How possible?

Designer: Christen Halter

• talineo says:

Standing position for me is a no-go because, by definition, someone in a wheelchair cannot stand on his/her feet.

A system that lifts the chair while blocking the wheels, let’s say to be at the height of a table, kitchen sink or shelf, would be far more usable IMHO.

From appearance point of view, the colors are more likely to be ok for an hospital, not home use and I find the pedals too big. But maybe hospital is the real target of this. (You say patient and not all people in a wheelchair is a patient !)

Nothing is adjustable, but as most wheelchair, the chair may be built to fit people’s own size.

I like the idea of being able to transfer the whole chair of the stair without having the people to wait out of it.

• Chris says:

People in a wheelchair doesn’t meen they can’t walk at all… the chair is also designed for elderly people who have problems standing up, that’s why the standing function. The main problem is to lift someone out of a wheelchair, this chair relieves the helper…

As not mentioned in the description, the EAP (electroactive polymer) material is bendable and adjustable. Imagine a plastic foil which bends once a electric current is applied to it, thats how this material works. The seat adjustment works that way, which means you don’t need any motors or hinges. Might not work with todays technology but prob. in 3-5 years time…

• someone says:

This is a perfect product, the designer consider every aspects of a paitent, and designed a cool all in one wheel chair! I would like it to be in the market before I get old.

• Lizard_King says:

As someone who occasionally works on wheelchairs, I can safely say this is NOT the first wheelchair to be also used as a toilet.

• Incognito says:

This is totally useful for BBQ and Beer night, no moew ‘I’m too lazy to get to the toilet’ bladder infections and I can give those Asian food eating competitors a run for their money.

• WUTHA_dude says:

I can’t figure out what you’re supposed to do once you get to the top of the stairs, being that you left the wheels at the bottom?!?!?!

• Henrique Staino says:

I’m still putting my two cents on exoskeletons..

• benjamin says:

Indeed I was wondering what would happen at the top of the staircase as well?? maybe it would be a better idea if the wheels could fold away, or the elevator would first raise the wheelchair a bit. colors are indeed a bit hospital like. overall nice product.

• Handicap says:

Unless the price comes down on this, I can’t imagine this concept going anywhere. Reminds me of a Segway. Just too expensive to gain any widespread acceptance. The only real advantage I can see is the transfer from wheelchair to stairlift.

• Within a few years most disabled people will have something like this in their homes. It only has to become a bit more affordable first.

• unta says:

where are the top view,bottom view and so on?
    i cant imagine what they are really look like!!!
    the view is not complete…how the customer want to know every specs?

• Jimmy C says: