Need a Little Charge? Stick Up a Febot!

Rechargeable batteries sure have helped make my life a lot easier, but I sure do hate the bulkiness of the machines that allow me to recharge my batteries. Trying to pack up my gadgets to take with me on the go is a struggle enough, why add the extra bulk of a battery charger to the equation? Here I introduce to you Febot- The answer to all of your gadget packing needs. This little Febot is so easy to assemble; even a monkey could put it together. Febot, created by Korean designers Ji-yun Kim, Soon-young Yang and Hwan-ju Jeon, is a torpedo with wings looking object that uses energy created by the wind to recharge a single battery. All you have to do is stick your Febot on an outside window and let the wind work its magic – just make sure it is your Febot.

Designer: Ji-youn Kim, Soon-young Yang & Hwan-ju Jeon

• mumin says:

yes… because wind flow is soooo efficient right against the window.

• prodmod says:

its kind of funny that the picture shows a non-rechargeable duracell alkaline battery.

• Devin says:

I think the design is efficient with materials, unique and elegant. Great job.

• zippyflounder says:

That it works poorly if at all (wind flows around things, attached to a window or wall its just going to sit there) has no impact on your opinion…for shame.

• Henrique Staino says:

The problem in this project is not that it stays close do a window, but the position of the wings… Being the axis of the fan perpendicular to a surface, it implies on the windflow being towards the window, wich is unlikely to happen. If it used a fan with an axis parallel to the surface, I believe it would work, specially on high floors.

• churro says:

How does a tampon recharge a battery?

• the_sidewinder says:

If they modify it to charge an internal battery, and be able to hook up to a USB device to charge it, this would be sweet

• Ibelieveinsandwitches says:

This would be great until the suction cups released. Then it goes from practical to annoying really quickly.

• karmaghost says:

The very basic concept here is such a great idea. Sure it’s flawed, but it seems like it could have great potential. My $.02? Up the size of a single charger so you can charge 2 or 4 at once, instead of 1.

Of course, you could also argue that, instead of having a bunch of little windmills doing random tasks within your home (as there have been other interesting wind-powered concepts on this site), just go with one big one that is a general use device.

• telebin says:

it’s interested in eco friedly… it’s very efficicent.

• Jeff says:

Great concept with some serious flaws in execution:

(1) You must ensure that dropping the unit out the window is very unlikely — this is a deal-breaker. Suction cups never work; especially on the outside of a window which is probably not squeaky clean. Change to a more secure mount – perhaps just a simple tab that gets trapped when the window is closed. Need some kind of cable-stay to prevent dropping.
    (2) I suggest a “weather vane” style self-adjusting gymbal so the prop will *always* point into the wind.
    (3) I second the suggestion above of adding in a usb port so you can recharge almost anything (let the user provide their own usb cable)

• Jeff says:

Addition to my previous comment:

It’s surprising to me that the (3!) designers weren’t more familiar with basic engineering concepts. They’ve placed the *heavy* battery way out at the end so it has more leverage. The suction cup will fail very quickly.

• Henco james says:

I think it’s interested in eco friedly..

too interesting.. and cool.

• jisoo says:

awesome!!!!!

• Carl says:

Agree with my man Zippy, this isnt gonna work. whats wrong with a regular wind turbine connected to a regular battery charger? to have it localised like this does not make sense.

• Brian says:

Great concept though turn the fan blades 90 degrees to the window and you’ve got a success! Nice thinking on this!

• Carl says:

Brian where is you head at? have you tried this to see if it works? how much energy goes into the production of the 6 injection moulded components.? this is a bad idea..

• tom says:

i think that as a concept it is brillant, but its practical flaws make it, probably, inefficient

• carson says:

I like it…

• salsa says:

This will waste more energy for the car than the energy recovered in the battery, since it will significantly increase drag. The thin propeller will probably not spin, but be pinned to any surface.

• Lympicita says:

But where do I get one?

• bayezid says:

yani insanoğlu aklı . neler icad ediyor .
    helal olsun size ne dim yani fevkalade . şahane. bravo
    perfect.

• Todd says:

Maybe should be mounted with blade perpendicular to surface for best wind flow. Why not have the blade move in any direction following the wind current.

Anyanghaseoyo designers. Chowayo.

• Eric says:

I think it’ll be a gruvy as a promotional product.
    Be great with a mount for the car.

• genyalyons says:

Where to buy this item

• First of all I would like to say great blog! I had a quick question in which I’d like to ask if you do not mind. I was curious to find out how you center yourself and clear your head prior to writing. I’ve had a tough time clearing my mind in getting
    my thoughts out there. I truly do take pleasure in writing however
    it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are
    usually lost just trying to figure out how to begin.
    Any ideas or hints? Appreciate it!