Rolling Bag, Literally

The brainchild of designer Rooz Mousavi, the Samsonite OBAG is a roll-on bag that literally rolls on. Its rugged exterior makes it ideal for snow or any nasty weather conditions for that matter. By augmenting the design into a giant wheel, less energy is required on your part to maneuver it. It’s even easier to drag up and down stairways in this configuration. The 2 storage compartments are on the sides and the handle collapses to slide OBAG under your bed. I SOOOOOO needed this when I was in design school.

Designer: Rooz Mousavi

• Iperpaolo says:

the shape of this circular trolley isn’t a good solution. it is unefficent,there is a bad ratio between the inner volume and the external one.
    A circular shape is difficult to store in the most of luggage vans.

• robert says:

Just think out of the box. We have seen enough square luggages.

• Quite the opposite: A circle has the highest ratio between area and circumference of any geometric figure. I.e., it is a more “efficient” than enclosure than any other shape (which extends to cylinders and spheres).

However, it's quite true that the advantage may be lost when you start packing circular objects together, as in the hold of an airplane.

However, it’s quite true that the advantage may be lost when you start packing circular objects together, as in the hold of an airplane.

• deanween8 says:

BAD. circles are the worst type of storage versus using a solution involving a square shape……its quite a simple fix.

• Canastrophy says:

What about a regular-kind trolley with a caterpillar track around it?

Kind of want to see that one.

• So says:

So whatever to using those granny trolley

• robert says:

It is great to think out of the box (square luggages). That is a great idea and very innovative.

• mark says:

I love it. It is very unique and I would love to have a rolling bag. It would works great on stairs too.

• Kevin says:

Cool!I like it

• pepinthewicked says:

This totally awesome. I think the circle is a fine form as well especially since clothes will fill any space. I would like to see how this could be extended however… You have a nice big wheel, can we put something on top? Perhaps a garment bag or some kind of rack where I can strap my laptop bag?

• Marcello says:

As should be quite obvious the circular shape is really inefficient for storage: the volume space available for storage is much lesser than the volume occupied by the container. at the same time storing the container for transport (like in overhead bins on a airplane) can be really difficult. And consider the fact that the whole structure also looks quite heavy compared with the space available for storage.

Sometimes the fact that all things looks more or less the same doesn’t mean lack of imagination but that evolution lead to the best possible shape for a given function. The fact that you don’t see 3 o 5 legged mammals doesn’t imply lack of creativity on nature’s side 😉

Marcello

• Tom says:

That is a cool design. It can be a great school bag for kids. It would be fun and easy to carry for children. Why some people can’t accept revolutionary designs?

• Tom says:

Listen, just easily imagine a smaller size. It can be a great school bag. Kids would love to caryy it. You let your kids to carry heavy, ugly, square backpacks. Don’t worry about the volume space available for storage and how people can fit their stuff inside it. Many of them don’t want to carry as much as they can and looking for cool designs to show off.

• powers says:

HahahaHA!

I have a great story for this one! OK. So I was in studio3, Transport, and Advanced Manufacturing Materials that quarter, and a fellow classmate – who will remain unnamed – walks in with a survey for his Intro to I.D. class – he was a senior… So anyway intro’s project was designing a tool box for ID students. I filled out the survey, and at the bottom of the sheet was a space for other thoughts or ideas. Immediately what popped into my head was a round tool box that one could either pull behind by hand or by bike. So then I did four really rough, tiny sketches in the other space. One thing my design had that this one does not is a built-in tripod for easy access in the shop. The funniest part was that the guy took the sketches, scanned them, and presented the idea! He gave me the credit for the idea, of course. I had the same teacher for intro, and when he heard whose idea it was he let the guy do the round, rolling toolbox! his final model didn’t look nearly this good.

• gerMan says:

good solution!

• DC says:

Looks good but bad design that is not real world tested. Needs fender for spray – think of the bike fenders that cover the rear wheels. Also, I’m sure everyone has rolled their carry ons through some muck (bathrooms, dog poo). Why would you want it all over you bag?

• ddaq89 says:

Good luck getting that through airport security 🙂

• waltercrm says:

This is a terrible idea.

Lets say you are walking up some stairs and lose your grip on a regular rolling bag. Since it basically acts like a ratchet, the bag stops and your belongings are safe. In the worst case, it tumbles down the stairs and comes to a stop at the bottom.

This bag would race down the stairs, building up speed until it collides with the nearest old lady, instantly dissolving her into a cloud of red mist from the impact; it would then fly into traffic where it will either cause serious (expensive) damage to some poor bastard’s car, or explode and spew your clothes, toiletries and contraband all over.

Or you drag it through a puddle and have to run to catch your plane. The giant wheels will spin off water, mud, and human filth onto anything nearby, especially you since you’re directly in front of it.

Or lets say it bounces loose out of a airport luggage transport. Then it rolls away onto the tarmac, where it:
    a) gets sucked into a jet engine
    b) crosses the takeoff path of a 747, causing it to swerve, brake, or roll over your luggage.
    c) is shot up by department of homeland absurdity goons because they mistake it for some crazy techno-robot bomb
    d) becomes the “puck” for an impromptu game of luggage transport tractor tarmac hockey.
    e) keeps rolling forever, on to the great baggage carousel in the sky.

Pass.

• Bokusatsu_Tenshi says:

Looks nice… but for me personally, the optimal sollution would be to put larger wheels on my current bag.

But this design if far more interesting and cute… only problem is it won’t fit all my stuff.

• DeanOfAllTrades says:

I think it looks great and could work well, but I don’t think I can get down with the round form factor. My clothes fold up rectangularly.

• mikky says:

won’t the capacity be too small

• Thursday says:

clothes fold into neat rectangles, immideatly nulling the usefullness of his desgin. If you want to carry around A huge can of SPAM though, now that’s another thing all together.

• superyaa says:

Very amazing design. 😉

• hanz says:

these would be good for Pilots or stewards. you know when we go to airports, we see pilots and stewards pulling strollers, this might be exact for them.

• AnnO says:

I think people here are missing the point.
    I don’t think this bag was made to be the most efficient way to pack your luggage…. its about style.

• Martin says:

Too bulky and awkward looking. If it’s meant to be about style, some style should be injected into it. Too little storage space compared to overall size. If one side had heavy objects it would be really hard to keep balanced on a bumby surface.

• Rahul Shirbhate says:

hahaha… lol!! What an imagination dude! This is a good topic for the next Mr. Been Movie!… “Mr. Been and Trolley bag”! Your all points will fit into the movie… Of course Samsonite will sponsor that movie… I could even imagine all this happening with Mr. Been!! hahaha… it will become the next comedy hit movie then! 😀

• Rahul Shirbhate says:

• Rahul Shirbhate says:

• Rahul Shirbhate says:

• In 1989 Bob Plath said that wheels on the luggage would eliminate
    the need to lug all those bags and ease the strain on the back.
    Making use of cured animal skins (leather) for carrying things in all probability began from the earliest man, when he
    discovered the flexibility and beauty of leather. It might be the no less than a person in line while
    using facet for far more information about are informed of that likely to get the
    entirely quit to understand more about go out and obtain and thus,all of your
    family associates may well like to discover bring the you may use air
    compressor filer to educate your self relating to moving
    for being the store to site facet- by-facet the new a minumum of 1 and study.