A Well-Spent Day Brings Happy Sleep

An object that with knowledge of the most excellent ways of Leonardo Da Vinci will require very little explaining. The Da Vinci Alarm Clock assists the user in adhering to the 3.5/.5 sleep schedule devised by the Renaissance Man, allowing the user 21 hours of awake time a day, completely free of sleepiness.

Designer Marc Owens explains his clock as follows: “The Da Vinci Alarm Clock works on a very basic system. The Dot Matrix display will always show either Sleep or Awake. When the product is first switched on the display will immediately show the word Awake. This will continue to be displayed for 3 hours at 30 minutes. At this point the clock display will change to show the word Sleep and a high-pitched alarm will signal this change in state.

This will continue to sound until the user presses the alarm-reset button.

The word sleep will continue to be shown for the next 30 minutes, at which point the display will revert back to show the word awake, the alarm will also sound at this point to signal that a change in state has occurred.

The 4-hour cycle will repeat itself six times over the course of a 24-hour period and will continue to do so until the clock is switched off. If the user follows the directions given by the clock then they will be able to enjoy the benefits of a 21-hour day, with little of the associated tiredness they would normally experience.”

What sort of person’s life could possibly accommodate such a perfect schedule? There would be no way this person could live this sort of life and work with regular everyday activities which require social interaction. On the other hand, round the clock updates on projects could be made, and all hours would be available for that perfect moment of intuition or brilliance.

Of course! This is the Blogger’s Clock.

Designer: Marc Owens

• jkr's bold says:

common sense dictates that we are designed to sleep when the sun goes down, and wake up when it comes back up, just like all non-nocturnal animals.

• zippyflounder says:

lol a punch card time clock (ie production line) for the “i” generation…..

• lankysob says:

Now that I’ve seen this, I just want my plain old alarm clock display to say SLEEP while I’m sleeping and AWAKE when it’s beeping to wake me up. It doesn’t need to display the time, since sometimes when I wake up in the middle of the night, the numbers confuse me. When I’m sleepy, I just don’t trust my clock. I would think that reading SLEEP or AWAKE would far easier to comprehend in a sleepy stupor.

• Lankysob, I know what you mean. However, I would like a clock that shows how early it is, with a picture… maybe a time-lapse city scene, because the daylight and building lights, colour of the sky, traffic etc would change as night passed into the early hours and then to early morning. You could set the pictures yourself to whatever time you associate (or want to associate) that level of light and activity in the city you want. This would be helpful in the winter here (i’m in the UK) when the mornings from Nov – Feb are very dark right up to when you need to be getting out your door to go to work. sometimes, looking out your window just won’t give you an indication of the time. Same at midsummer, when it gets light at 4:30 a.m. I imagine it’s a massive problem in Norway, where the day lengths are very extreme. then again, looking at the time is perfectly simple! 😀

• Fused7 says:

Only problem is that it sometime takes me over an hour or two to fall asleep 🙁

• Morberis says:

I’m sorry but in my neuroscience classes we specifically studied polyphasic sleep rhythms. They are very unhealthy for most people resulting in a number of health/mental health problems culminating in a reduced life span if used regularly.

• Chris Burns says:

You dont have to be sorry! Don’t worry about it. kek.

• puredoxyk says:

Hahaha right, and what studies backed up that assertion? Exactly none, because they haven't been done. The only studies done on polyphasic sleep have been short-term and have shown adverse effects only during the adaptation period.

Four years and running,
      Puredoxyk

• puredoxyk says:

Four years and running,
      Puredoxyk

• jkr's bold says:

• gimmetaffy says:

I did this for a month while in College. Getting into the rhythm is extremely difficult. The idea is that you only need REM and the average person gets less than 3 hours of REM in 8 hours of sleep. Polyphasic sleep is about training your body to go into REM immediately and waking up before your body automatically comes out of REM. To train your body you basically spend about 2 weeks depriving yourself of sleep. Following these sleep cycles you are suppose to get more REM in 24 hours than a person who sleeps 8hours straight. I stopped just as it was starting to get easy because it doesn’t go over well when you’ve got a pretty steady girlfriend, but it was definitely an interesting experiment.

• D.E.P.C. says:

So you sleep for only 3 hours a day with this method? That’s kind of cool. But if it were so great scientists would talk into using it. Then again, so little is known about why we sleep.

• jimmy says:

Umm, really? I think we know exactly why we sleep.

Maybe just you don't know? In which case I recommend the internet, or a school.

• jimmy says:

Umm, really? I think we know exactly why we sleep.

Maybe just you don't know? In which case I recommend the internet, or a school.

• monkey face says:

how does this work with eating times? do we just eat when we are hungry? or still adhere to the 3 meals a day thing. Can’t really do this when i’m working a 9 to 5… or can I?

• R says:

perfect for Kramer

• Joel says:

We already have one of these from nature, it is called a BABY. Not too productive for the first few months and they make you age quickly.