Laptop/Desktop Hybrid

Wow, I have seen parsecs worth of concept computer designs during my visit here on Earth, but nothing like this “B-membrane” design by Korean designer Won-Seok Lee. He has taken the need for a bulky monitors right out of the equation and opted for beaming your YouTubing onto any surface you can point the omni-directional projector at. Some highlights of this Kubrick inspired mother ship computer include a membrane keyboard that appears when needed, integrated optical drive and when not used as a computer, the projector can beam ambient light effects on any surface you desire.

Designer: Won-Seok Lee

At night it can be used for mood lighting.

• i like the idea and i am all for the ergonomical bent keyboard…. but… a laptop/notebook-substitute?
    how will i be able to “flatten” that spaceship to fit into my travel-bag?

• and… looking at the 3rd and 5th image… there is something awfully wrong with the angle of the projector-joint in picture number 2!

• So says:

Hmm this is gonna only best only in dim light area but wan’t that cause strain on the eyes under long-term useage?

how will i be able to “flatten” that spaceship to fit into my travel-bag?

• So says:

I don’t think the designer who did this consider it as a replacement to laptops, it was design to reduce that bulky desktop tower and the monitor for home

• TH says:

Hardly an enrgonomical keyboard… looks awkward to use. It’s an interesting concept that might find its niche somewhere. The shape is a bit strange so that moving it around might not be that easy.

• Eric says:

I’m pretty sure that is showing the rotation effect of the joint. And they are in order of upright, turning, turned. Kinda makes sense to me….
      As for the design, too round, get rid of the huge base and just have it project the keyboard more ergonomically on the table-top…

• Lim says:

What i would say… A totally raw concept…

• ModuleS says:

I agree, with most concepts here on Yanko Design it is still very raw but I see many potentials. The ideas are needed first and the refinements can begin.

• zippyflounder says:

zip potenital, and raw is being kind. Lets make a list
        1. fugly
        2. no tactic feedback on keyboard
        3. keyboard layout way too arced for good biomechanics
        4. forgets that projectors are now smaller than a cellphone
        5. fugly

• igreenspot says:

big “No”, I don’t see my self comfortable typing on that keyboard, look at the distance between each letter, compare it to your classic keyboard, I bet you know what I mean.

• jin_woo_han says:

I don’t know why many manufacturer don’t make PC with built-in projector, is it because of technology..? I don’t believe so.
    As many designer myself included have thought about this idea before, this idea has a lot potential and will work in the market place! I’m one of the few wanting this and will wait for it.

• Ignorance is Ignoran says:

they're to reasons for computers not having projector screens:

1- computer compenies would get less money.

2- As you can see from comments the majority of the public does not like dramatic change it hurts there brains, thus they come up with every single excuse possible to prevent it from happenning. I find it quite surprising how many people are against new ideas on a design site. All this negative feedback and barely any comments on how to fix the problems. All i can see people saying is, ” OH MY GOD!! CHANGE, QUICK EVERYBODY ATTCK IT! BEFORE ARE LIVES ARE MADE BETTER!” people need to open there minds, not close em up and kick every person in the shin that comes by tryin' to expose them to something new. Grow up people.

• Ignorance is Ignorance, not bliss says:

they’re to reasons for computers not having projector screens:

1- computer compenies would get less money.

2- As you can see from comments the majority of the public does not like dramatic change it hurts there brains, thus they come up with every single excuse possible to prevent it from happenning. I find it quite surprising how many people are against new ideas on a design site. All this negative feedback and barely any comments on how to fix the problems. All i can see people saying is, ” OH MY GOD!! CHANGE, QUICK EVERYBODY ATTCK IT! BEFORE ARE LIVES ARE MADE BETTER!” people need to open there minds, not close em up and kick every person in the shin that comes by tryin’ to expose them to something new. Grow up people.

• Jojo says:

Nice, but really, it should be two reasons not to and also companies not compenies! Really, after such a critical post you could at least make an attempt to spell correctly!

• James Bo Bames says:

Proofread this, you’re a loser Jojo. I bet you were one of those kids who made all A’s in highschool english class by writing a bunch of dribble and making sure all your comma’s were in the right places.

Obviously you had a problem with what you read, not how it was written. So instead of petty attacks on his grammar, (which is technically totally irrevelant anyway seeing as how the venue is an internet message board…) you should take a minute, think, and maybe type down something of substance.

• candice says:

Does the projector function the way other projectors do? Then if so not only will they cause the comp to get very hot but the bulbs will also be costly when replacing them.

• Don says:

projector should be laser (no heat), though we’re not quite there yet… green laser is too expensive so far…

keyboard: nice idea, but nonsensical ergonomics.

i picture in 5 ys the whole computer will be a robust and handy little box (not a bitch-to-carry like this “ufo”) half the size of today’s laptops, projector included (laser should be bright enough for daylight use) with maybe foldable / rollable keyboard. or maybe totally new holographic interface based on motion capture. something like that…

• zippyflounder says:

LED’s…all the cool kids have been using them for ummmmmmmmmmm 7 years.

• Won-Seok, Lee says:

Hello!
    I’m B-membrane’s designer, Won-seok, Lee

Put simply,..
    B-membrane = Beam + Membrane

A membrane is a thin piece of skin which connects the cells of human beings and animals.
    I suggest new way to connect virtual world from LCD monitor through the concept, “B-membrane”.
    There is no spatial limitation. So you can use it in office as a beam projector.
    It just needs wall!

If you have any questions regarding this, please E-mail me!~
    Thank you!~

• woog says:

This is shit. Overdesigned shit that does not take the user into account.

Form follows function. This is nothing. How are you supposed to type on that keyboard? What happens when the projector wears out? How are you supposed to pack it for travel?

Don’t quit your day job, mr. Korean computer designer.

• Broi says:

Form follows function……?? Are you live In the 1960’s

Obviously you are not designer! right?

Function follows form. It’s the 21st century design.

Don’t stop your seeking work, and learn good manners.!!

• Froggy says:

Function follows form? Total BS, no matter what century you live in! Yes, am not a designer, but it’s irrelevant to understanding good and bad design… Every commercial product is designed BY designers FOR consumers, but not FOR designers. But if you are talking about a “pure” design, like those hi-fashion clothing, ridiculously looking and totally useless IRL, then you are absolutely right, no questions here… :)))

• Marte says:

what about mouse? usb port ?

• kim says:

I have seen this concept desktop in korea website last year..

I think that …

use usb port(beside CD-rom) or touchpad(last image)

• Jade Doel says:

I love it. I think this has more potential than any other futuristic PC concept out there. Yes, it’s not perfect, but a few changes here and there; like an elliptical shaped base instead of the rounder one would solve the keyboard positioning issues.
    BTW yes you can get small projectors, the size of match boxes actually, and there is currently work on a miniature projector that can produce the same quality picture as current projectors.

I admire the designer for thinking outside of the technology that is available today and has pushed the envelope to envision what could be possible in the future.

I give it 10/10 for potential and 8/10 over all.

• teo song wei says:

I’ll probably look like a pianist playing my keyboard when i’m chatting with my frtiends online. nice render though

• Rocky_IV says:

This is totally awesome. Thinking outside the Box. Imagine using this as your Multimedia Home Theater. It’s certainly a beautiful design for any living room environment. It’s way more stylish than the square box enclosures produced today. Looks like a Caption Kirk – Starship Enterprise device.

I wonder what OS it uses?

• Lavos says:

Windows Vista! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

• Quentin says:

Hi, I like this concept, it’s breaking the actual shape for computer, it’s not bad !

This designer is working for Samsung ? I saw this concept there 6 month ago, with tow other ground breaking home computer concept from Samsung. I though it was a good idea to present the 3 concept in the same file to see the real creative way from Samsung…

Thank you, sorry for my English, I’m french

Bye !!

• dorosi says:

B-membrane is a prizewinning work at ‘Korean Design PC Competition’ .

Samsung Electronics and Intel Korea co-sponsored The competition.

So, it just concept design.

• Nebulos says:

Really a strange thing. But the worst thing is when you see the vista CD on the last picture :D.

• corey woodcock says:

i very much like this substitute but can any consumer find it in canada….
    the design is worth alot and i personally would like to get my hands on one lol

• edmalyn says:

when u invented this gadget?what is the advantages of this gadget?and what is the size of this gadget?

• Mayara says:

very very perfect!

• edmalyn says:

hi im from philippines,in occidental mindoro!!!im interested in your invention,how much is this?and how many meters can provide thier projector?and what is the size of this gadget..ill w8 for your comfirmation..thanks!!!

• gleide cabral says:

Hello!!!!!!!
    I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!
    perfect.

• Gusman says:

ok, cool…but how can I use that in a plane or in a bus?

• Mario Casaverde Rio says:

SENSATIONAL.

AND ABOUT THE COST?????????

• vitor says:

Windows Vista is the new Windows ME

• kavya says:

its such a beauty..
    anyway what’s the cost..
    and give me the hardware and software properties..
    do tell me all about its new features..

• Sai says:

HI, prototype looks cool, however from the cd disk perspective we dont have any advancement, it would be better if we come out with something realistic and more futuristic along with this prototype.

• Sai says:

• joep says:

awesome! where can i order it?

• jl says:

I can see a potential use… as an enlightening chair…

• francesco says:

hi, i think this is cool…yeah…it’s a great idea…but is it possible to insert a webcam??…

• anonymous says:

This would be a great idea for lecture halls. teachers could use this thing. lol.

• tania says:

is the membrane is the best substitute for a loptop???? Do you think this new style of loptop can help the people on their work outside……for example on the beach?…….

• tania says:

hello!!! I just want to ask why did u develop this kind of gadget????????

• Naveen Kumar says:

Wonderful invention.
    But still we cannot afford when compare to laptop.
    Wherever we may go we cannot search for a screen right.
    But I really appreciate for the invention by Samsung.
    Brilliant Job.
    What is the Basic configuration of this Gadget?
    Where can I get this product in INDIA?

• Naveen Kumar says:

I am very much impressed by the Mobile projector.
    I am eagerly waiting to buy that mobile.
    Let me know where can I get that?

• Cool Gadgets says:

Well, with this type of radical design You either love it or hate it. Even after saying this “smart” thing I am not actually sure what to think about this Laptop/Desktop Hybrid. I guess , as with any new
    concept, you need some time to grasp the whole thing.

• Justin says:

OMG ! This futuristic design almost gave me an orgasm !!! WOW – I am very very impressed and I also think that if this design would go in the markets it would be a BIG success (i would be one of the shoppers :P) !!

Congratulations Won-Seok Lee !

• OMG !
    if this design is implemented then it would be revolutionary

• Z.K says:

I think its great!!! and seems comfortable too

• All i can say is that this is brilliant… simply superb

• Hareem Shaikh says:

Hi, the B-Membrane is already a huge hit, the tech seems awesome and revolutionary. Could you please notify me with the price and frm where I can order one. B-Membrane is literally the new generation tech, its simply fantastic and right now the thing I want most!!! Please notify me asap.

• WON SEOK LEE says:

Hi. I’m B-mambrane’s designer Won seok lee.

I was one of my concept work in 2007.

If you have any question about design or me, then e-mail me ([email protected])

Thanks.~

• Hi, the B-Membrane is already a huge hit, the tech seems awesome and revolutionary. Could you please notify me with the price and frm where I can order one. B-Membrane is literally the new generation tech, its simply fantastic and right now the thing I want most! Please notify me asap.

• Edwina says:

Hi there! This post couldn’t be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me of my good old room mate! He always kept talking about this. I will forward this post to him. Fairly certain he will have a good read. Many thanks for sharing!

• Web Designer says:

If this is for real, it will help a designer like me alot on every moment, well thanks for the design someday that may be one of the major transformation in the world of LEDS