Dubious Dubai Museum

Now that the city of Dubai seems to be building pretty much anything and everything you can think of, from the world’s tallest building, the highest tennis court, an indoor ski resort and even a fashion island for that bizarre castaway fantasy your gold digging spouse secretly has. I guess someone finally thought it was time for some culture. Someone’s Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum has “decreed” (that means demanded and payed for) the start of “his strategic vision of making the UAE a hub for multicultural understanding. The museum will be a celebration of the region’s artists and art. It will also celebrate Khor Dubai’s importance as a cultural hub within a Dubai as a global city.” I find it interesting that they believe a building filled with only local artists will somehow put Dubai’s new museum on scale with more inclusive international museums like Hermitage, Getty, New York’s MET, Prado, British Museum and Louvre. UN Studio, based in The Netherlands, has been selected to design the Museum and will certainly be the most international aspect of this rather intriguing looking museum.

Architect: UNStudio [ Via: Yatzer ]

• zippyflounder says:

i like it more than the disney reflectorammadamm….

• levent says:

yok böle bişi…yapmışlar yine yapacaklarını

• Jade Doel says:

They got the scale of the building right, but the design looks as though a whale bred with a Star-trek voyager inspired cruise-liner. What is up with all the white too? Personally a little colour would really bring the design to life and offer something a little more interesting than just wavy lines.

• Martin Miller says:

The reason for the White is that it reflects the sun. It has been long used in hot climates to stop the buildings overheating and potentially cooking the inhabitants. It gets awfully hot in Dubai!

• zippyflounder says:

shhhh martin your killing the “buzz” with pratical engineering talk (keep it up as I am getting tired of doin it here)

• Jade Doel says:

I understand the reason behind the use of the white, but there is technology/materials available today that allow for darker colours to be used in hot climates. I was just wondering if the white colour scheme was a conscious decision or was it an after thought where the architect just made it white because it’s a default colour.
      I don’t know….I just think making it white isn’t a design solution, it’s a quick solution that anyone can make, because as we all should know; white doesn’t retain heat as well as darker colours, but after time that just sounds like an excuse.
      This would have been the perfect project for a great architect to explore new ways to prevent buildings from over heating….with out painting it white!

• And says:

I think it looks great!!! And this is just one of many new museum that is planning to be built in Dubai in the next couple of years. Dubai is like a big construction yard now! And as Martin Miller said the many buildings are white because of the heat, in the summer it can get to over 50 Celsius. By the way “the highest tennis court” was just a promotion video made on Burj Al Arab a while back. The court you can see is on Burj Al Arabs landing pad where all the rich people are being flown in from Dubai international airport (and Burj Al Arab is not a 7 star hotel only 5). Cheers

• I enjoy the design! The curves will offer some great air circulation inside and out, while the white (as mentioned before) should add to heat reducing tactics. And if the Burj Dubai is any indication of the engineering feats and challenges of the region this museum will probably look to push the envelope quite a bit.

• Charles Akl says:

I reviewed the UNstudio website but didn’t find any information about this museum< is there any chance that it’s not the designers ?

• Outstanding , Architectural phenomina !!

• sugabus says:

The inspiration is not a whale or star-trek voyager . . . . i bet it’s an aged sand rock with its bent sand layer

• Ragde says:

I like it the shape is interesting

• trimtab21 says:

that is just amazing!!!!! It looks like an alien space ship that landed.

• Melissa says:

I would like to find out who will be responsible for the art collection in the new museum. My interest is going out to the restoration ateliers. Please contact me.

• Jorge says:

Blue Whale

• Jorge says:

Blue Whale

• mahsa says:

very nice. i like this page.