Collapsible Shelves For The Unorganized and Cheap

PLoP! is a storage shelving system designed for nomadic students on budget. Made from eco-friendly corrugated board, PLoP! weighs a mere 1.8kg and is collapsible, so students can easily carry it home with them, even on the public transport. Once at home, they simply have to remove the packaging, ‘plop’ it open, affix its backing supports and be prepared to be wowed as this humble material of a furniture holds the weight of dozens of books and objects.The great thing about PLoP! is that it is also designed for extendability, which means that apart from the basic 4-section unit, it can be extended to 6, 8, 10, etc. sections and STILL be collapsible! When the students are done with their short-term studies, they have two options in dealing with the shelf. First, and recommended, they can ‘plop’ PLoP! back to its collapsed state and bring it with them to their next destination. Alternatively, being a paper-based product, it can be disposed of and recycled easily if they no longer have the need for it or if its useful life has ended.

Designer: Joyce Hong

• Lim says:

Well Done i feel…. Cheap, can be recycle, simple and usefull…

• A Nonymous says:

I love this concept, but this material? It’s a plastic and recycled paper? Is this material readily available in a board-like form or is it produced specifically for the shelf?

Is there another material which would be as light but more readily available?

Thanks

• Jason Peck says:

Wow, wish I had this and the collapsible surfboard when I was in college.

• Munch says:

Genius! I just wonder how much weight it can support… being that college students have been known to overload things..

• Monty says:

That is actually a really nice design, and since it is made of cardboard, if you spend your last ten bucks on beer, you can always warm your dorm room by lighting it on fire. My eldest leaves for college at the end of summer and something like this might be useful for him. It might also make me the ass of all of his new friends jokes when he tells them ‘look what my step dad gave me – what a loser!’

• nancy says:

People keep talking about these things – and they certainly look great – and I know my son could use them in his small apt. in NYC – but where the heck do you BUY them? There’s no link anywhere to purchase – and no clue as to the price, either.

• TOWken22 says:

Designs like these are really utilitarian, not just for dorm life, but also for small spaces [read: all NYC apartments]. It’s amazing how difficult it is to find good looking, light weight furniture that can be moved easily and not fall apart within a year of purchasing. Considering most renters in NYC have to move once a year, as rent skyrockets at the end of a lease, having furniture like this would make things a lot easier.

• Merf says:

Where do I buy this thing!

• kevin O'Boyle says:

Do you provide a way to contact the designers featured on your site?

• kevin O'Boyle says:

Do you provide a way to contact the designers featured on your site?

• Steven Hoffman says:

Yeah, if anyone finds out where to buy these, I want 4-5 of them.

• Joyce Hong says:

Hello, thank you for all the constructive comments. PLoP! is indeed made of plain standard corrugated board that is easily available at paper mills and not treated with chemicals, so recycling is completely possible. At this moment, the design is not being sold, but if anyone is interested in producing it for retail, do let me know. Thanks agian for all your support!

• Seth R says:

Hi Joyce,
      I’m a student. This year I attended Montgomery College and in the fall I’ll be attending University of Maryland. I’d love to make myself one of these. Would you please share the plans or at least some tips?

Seth

• FiZ says:

I was curious, are these shelves sturdy enough to stack vertically?

• Sean A. Curtin says:

I've been looking high and low for such a shelving solution and at the rate I'm going in terms of availability I'm going to have to make my own.

The issue is simple. WHERE DO YOU BUY THEM FROM??? Yenko do not appear to be selling them any more. If I am mistaken will someone please correct me and provide a link.

Otherwise here's a great idea, gone the way of the dinosaur.

Sean.