Water Ball Ripples

The Ripple faucet creates a new, fun way to interact with water. Drawing inspiration from surface ripples, the faucet creates a strong visual relationship between the two. On top of the frosted ripple surface sits a metal ball. An array of electromagnetic sensors detects that ball’s position. Moving the ball in or out from the center controls water pressure. Moving it around controls temperature.

The surface glows red or blue to denote how hot or cold it is. The two separate channels combine the hot and cold water to get the perfect mix. Don’t worry about scalding yourself tho. The water in the hot water channel isn’t actually hot until it’s ready to be mixed via flash heating.

Designer: Smith Newnam & Touch360 Studio

• Eoin says:

Really great design , great imagination from the designer…
    Only problem is the actual pressure of the water , unlike in normal taps where it can spray in a downward direction.

• Jimmytown says:

What about water conservation? I would think people would waste a lot of water just showing others how it works

• Haruspex says:

That’s like saying sports cars are a bad idea because of all the wasted gas from joy rides…

• I would like to know more about this product ( water ball ripples kindly let me have more information, photo function made from and how we can get the order as sample for business wise thanks

Dr. Jasem

• patrick says:

oh man, i hoped this would wind up here. I think these three illustrations actually show very explicitly how the system works, which is a very complex thing.

only thing: have you thought of changing the colors of the light to more neutral tones to suit higher-end bathroom environments? like a crimson for the red? I just think that a select few might not believe that pure bright red or blue will “match” their otherwise anally detailed bathroom aesthetics. actually the blue looks nice. the red sticks out.

• Rich says:

What about a small interactive touch screen that would allow the user to change certain setting?… ie light color

• teqsun.com says:

I want one of those so bad. But dont lose the ball. What would happen? Also where does the ball go when you are done.

• SinAmos says:

I am completely in love. Zip me up in a time-freeze for five years and wake me up when every bathroom has some variation of this.

• BigViper says:

I love the faucet but I would do a diff basin. maybe something with a hard contrast to the softness of the faucet.

• designpreneur says:

Suggestion: Magnetize the ball (or the material underneath it) and make the control surface a dimpled texture (like a golf ball) and it would be perfect (for me anyway).

• Coaster says:

It looks like it would be hard to clean. The little tracks the hot and cold water flow from look like they would be quite condusive to mold. Maybe if they were enclosed in something clear, rather than just open. It also doesn’t seem to have much pressure behind the water. But it’s pretty. I hope they make it workable.

• MrBalloonKnot says:

Go into any home, bathroom, hotel, restaraunt, etc. and every faucet will be different. Some have levers that go up/down or left/right or rock side-to-side. Some have knobs that turn–sometimes left and sometimes right. Some have little sticks that rotate around in all kinds of directions like a joystick (my favorite). Some have a sensor that is supposed to turn the faucet on for you and “bless you” with the correct temperature before turning of prematurely. I’ve even seen some that look like an old-fashioned pump.

So, a faucet that is controlled by a magnetic ball…why the hell not?!?! I hope I start seeing these everywhere. I’ll will help me build up my collection of “steelies” for my next marble tournament.

It is kind of purdy though…

• celloids says:

The best damn thing I’ve ever seen.
    I’ll take two of those please.

• phantam says:

ok so the ball control might be iffy, but i love the 2 channel idea thats just sexy looking and cool at the same time

• Lindsay says:

Very cool!

I’m not sure I need that much entertainment when I’m washing my hands, but I’d definitely like to see one up close. I wonder how much they cost.

• jason says:

Eh. Someone needs to read Donald Norman.

It’s neat, but why are we still making faucets that combine temperature and flow into the same control?

• Rony John says:

Looks pretty cool …. How much do they cost ??

• Christine says:

So what’s keeping the ball from rolling around and going down the drain? Nice imagination but not very practical. The rendered photographs could have been so much better. It should show the sink in a more modern environment rather than your cottage bathroom.

• Jeff says:

For the public washroom scenario – how long until someone steals the ball? 🙂

• Manhwi-Lee says:

Wow good idea !

We are interest in Ripple Faucet in korea market,please let is know where we can make business with you…

b.rgds/Manhwi-Lee

• osis says:

Id lose that ball too….

• samira says:

interestting & good idea….. 😀

• ALBERTO COSTA says:

I loved it. How much does it cost?
    Best regards,
    Alberto Costa

• pilar says:

I would like to know the price of this ripple faucet. Please, anyone can say me the price and very can I buy it? thank you very much.

• Ana Paula Regado says:

We are interest in Ripple Faucet for the Portuguese market. Please let us know how can we make business with you…
    Thanks,
    Ana Paula Regado

• saeid says:

hi,
    that is great. how much does it cost? and how i can byt it?
    thanks.
    saeid

• Kevin Yu says:

I believe this is an amazing design.

How much do you think this product will cost, where i can buy this product, and where I can look into more in this type of product?

Thanks,

• saeid says:

is there anyome to answer questions? i will be thankfull

• James says:

its plausable by would the electromagnetic waves alter the waterflow?

Also mabye the ball could be attached via a string? oh perhasps if it falls out an alarm would activate?

the channels could be tubes that are highly pressurized to prevent mold growth….or you could put a waterloving moss thre… for fun of course ;D

• carl says:

a solution to a problem that does not exist.

sensors already exist that can quickly assurtain the temperature of water. They are called your hands…

Does it come with a bag full of spare metal balls when they get lost? any child or elderly person would be lost here i think

So you need and electrician and a plumber to fit it.

id also be concerned about bacterial adhesion if i was to brush me teeth here.

How does the water remain lit along its curved traejectory into the plug hole? now that is clever!!!

• JESS YES GIRL! says:

hello, sorry, but, it veru exten the idea that there are some king of needs that are emotional people , they put it on your face, that’s the reason why these ashamed. there ´s a lot of companies that used it to make money. to talk about dising, in a bad way, first you have to be open mind. the emocional needs , always, one way or anoder, the meeting….. buting objet that represent your aspiration it an exellent solution !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Steph says:

I had those questions too. It’s safe to assume that you would have to have an electrician and a plumber fiddling under the counter to install it. Which will eventually increase the cost of any built or renovation. This is definitely a “high end” product. also, I hope that where ever this product was designed, the designer took into consideration the different standards per country. To the designer: Find your market… there is potential here. Also, you really need to resolve it – I would love to know the materials specs and even the breakdown of the tapware componentry. Being in the building industry, designs like this are sought after, but hell to install! You would have to build or design your bathroom around it and not the other way. I doubt this will suit any retrofits!

• Niels says:

Yes it has some disadvantages, but it certainly changes how we interact with faucets. We have written about this change and what the pro’s and con’s are.

• Muzo Sicimoglu says:

I am so in LOVE with this-what a faboo idea as I am a yacht designer-I would love to get more info-were to buy..etc.please let me know..many thanks .

• tanya says:

Could you let me know how much this is and if you post to Aust

• nannette says:

where do we find this sink

• Chris says:

Someone like it?
    It is under construction now, if any wholesaler is interested in it, just contact me freely.
    [email protected]

• Champ says:

Is this product finish yet? If it already finish, please send me the information via my mail.

• We are interest about the Ripple Faucet for selling in Turkey and also we would like to buy it. Please let us know how can we make business with you and how we can purchase Ripple Faucet…

Yours sincerely,
    Bartu CELASUN

• jordan says:

To turn off the water, drop the ball down the sink and have it end up back in the center… <greatest idea ever

• Ming Sum Yum says:

Hi, I think this concept is really great.

I hope I can see it in the market someday soon =]

• Gavin says:

Please could you let me know where we can find or order this system.
    We are a company based in South Africa and are very interested in some of your products.

Hope to hear from you soon.

• Jesse Ens says:

Great idea.

• Won says:

I am very interested in buying it. Could you let me know how to buy it and price?? Acutually, I live in South Korea. Thanks.

• Loni says:

This is a really great idea my step mom has neropithy which kills the nervers in your body well she has no feeling in her hands so this would be amzing for her to tell when the water is hot so she does not burn her self

• mh says:

i see a lot of concepts of yanko thru pintrest. im wondering how they do such a fantastic job of rendering these concepts, they look so life like, its some of the best prototyping out there. The photography is great, would love to learn how to use this medium…

• janet campana says:

I love this design….I would love to have it in my home. I see so many fabulous ideas and designs out here, it’s incredible…not in my lifetime will I be able to see them all or enjoy them.

• Where can this be purchased?

• Adriana Morais-Gushulak says:

Where can i find this product?

• Patrick says:

I agree with Won woo. I wish I can purchase this Item.

• I just couldn’t depart your web site before suggesting that I extremely enjoyed the standard info a person provide for your visitors

• hahaha, now its time for technology 😀 cool 😀