Alternate Dimensions Down Under

Is it a bottle in front of me, or a frontal lobotomy? Anyway you look at this mind blowing wonder of math and the space-time continuum, the Klein Bottle House by architects McBride Charles Ryan, is stunning. For us right-brain thinkers; in Mathematics, the “Klein Bottle” is a non-orientable surface, i.e., a surface (a two-dimensionaltopological space) with no distinction between the “inside” and “outside” surfaces. That being said and hopefully understood, this vacation home located just a few clicks outside Melbourne, Australia beautifully reflects a deep desire to mess with both sides of our brains. By constantly challenging our sense of perception, depth, linear orientation, interior/exterior space and pretty much any notion of what a dwelling should look like, the architects have successfully created a space that is surprisingly inviting and warm. Now can someone please show me to the door?

Architect: McBride Charles Ryan [ Photo by John Gollings ]

• MINIX says:

i feel like im going to fall just looking at this

• k.s.reddy says:

An excellent innovative design.

• atomicforce says:

… to be drunken without drinking just being there inside 😉 cool

• anelli says:

That stuff messes with one’s sensory perception big time. But I guess that’s the intention.

• TH says:

I love the design, and appreciate the Tom Waits -quote. 🙂

• TH says:

… although the quote seems to be attributed to Dorothy Parker originally. 🙂

• chelsea dossett says:

beautifully innovative. kudos to whoever ended up having to create those architectural drawings…

• Alex says:

This house reminds me of the Mobius House by UNStudio (1998), although the plans look literally nothing alike

• AntBee says:

I’d probably hit every wall walking through that house, but it would be well-worth it just to be within it!

• JackOfClubs says:

This may have been inspired by a Klein bottle but it isn’t one. A Klein bottle has the property that you can draw a “line” between any two points on the surface without crossing any boundaries or edges. This thing obviously has windows and doors, which interrupt the trajectory of the imaginary line, but it also has obvious edges. You shouldn’t be able to color one section of a Klein bottle black and another white in any meaningful way, but this structure clearly violates that principle.

• nur says:

i wonder how much it would’ve cost!?

• What an amazing house! I would like to have whoever designed this be apart of my business, the worlds largest CAD consulting firm. We have over 700 professionals world wide, and growing! In just 8 months we’ve become the largest. I would like to have the designer from this masterpiece get a hold of me if possible

eautocad DOT com

• mike says:

…the house that Picasso on LSD built. Would have liked to be in the room when the contractors looked at the blueprints the first time:
    Architect: Howzitgoinmate…here’s the design I was telling you about…*unrolls blueprints*
    Contractor: wtf…*head explodes*.

• aUDRINA says:

OH!MY HOUSE!!

• Raphael Crespo says:

It’s nothing but deconstructivist aesthetics. Many genius of this architecture style, like Frank Gehry, Zaha Hadid and Daniel Libeskind have designed houses like this. So it’s not surprise for me and those who really know the vast world of design!
    I congratulate the clients for the good taste.

• George Kennedy says:

Our plastering team completed the plasteing on this projest in Rye, Victoria, Australia. A challenging and rewarding project.
    Hillview Interiors
    Quality Plasterers

• sander D says:

Just destructive to anyone’s eye.
    Why do some architects always feel the need to blow up things. Why can’t something be pure and unbelievably not-eyecatching.
    It’s way harder to make something pretty, pure and utile, without popping out and asking for attention.
    One non-90° line and you’re at the basis of this kind of generic buildings, which can only be discovered by computers. No clear mind makes this up. I think it’s a mistake.

• Hello, after reading this remarkable post i am too cheerful to share my familiarity here with
    friends.