Extension Cord Extreme

Instead of just having power outputs on one end of an extension cord, designer Wilson Song placed them all along the cord itself. We’re not electrical engineers here at Yanko Design but we have our doubts. If a device is plugged into one output, doesn’t that prevent power from reaching the other outputs? On paper it sounds like a great idea. The cord itself can act as a flexible power strip.

Designer: Wonjune Song

• David Sweeney says:

The concept is nice, and valid. However, most of my stuff has three-pin plugs.

• That design is completely feasible, electrically speaking. Think of electricity like water in terms of flow, if this were a drip system poking more holes in the sides would simply reduce the flow coming out of the existing holes. By plugging in more fixtures to the extension cord it would simply reduce the current flowing to the other plugs, that is if you have very high current demand devices plugged in to it. Otherwise they would all share the current depending on the individual device’s demands.

• Klavs Hansen says:

This design is just like a regular extension cord. If you look closer at the ‘regular’ extension cord you’ll see it is just like this, but this new design is just more flexible. just as long it’s wired in parallel.

• Admnaismith says:

It’s fine if you wire in parallel. It’s how power-strips work.

• Dooga says:

If this is wired in parallel, it would work fine. But this doesn’t look like it’s parallel… rather, it looks like it’s in a series. You’ll lose voltage to other electrical devices if that’s the case… =(

• Schalliol says:

Yep, I too have one in my yard. It’s really thick because it must be done in parallel.

• Ripfire4 says:

Actually, there’s already one that you can buy at Home Depot. Except, it’s more like a corner moulding type that you usually find under cubicles.

• Gokor says:

This is no different than stringing multiple extension cords together.

• Detroityianni says:

seen them at meetings in conf rooms where everyone has a laptop they want to plug in outlets every few feet for like 20 ft

• jeremy says:

Sure ’nuff. They’re imported from China. Home Depot does sell them, but only in bright colors. if you want to get your stealth on, you need to go to Lex Products. i believe they’re the only ones with the US license for black: http://www.lexproducts.com/catalog/cableAssemblies/eString.aspx

Note that each outlet has a small LED to indicate power is hot.

• ia2ca says:

All over the Christmas section at WalMart (3-pronged). Even rated for outdoor use. Less than $10/each.

• Moosiest says:

i’ve never seen this and, even if it’s not new, that idea is damn cool! marry this with some of those squid power-strip type thing and you can wire up pretty much anything with one outlet. (and likely overload your circuit, but still…)

• Rhainor says:

I already have one of these, made for Christmas-tree lights. About 2 feet from the wall, there’s a switch; another three or four feet of blank cord, followed by thee blocks (each with three two-prong sockets) spaced about a 1&1/2 feet apart.

Here’s an idea: sell a pack of, say, ten 3-foot-long cords, and on the end, have a block with one 3-prong socket pointing straight, one on the side, and another on the side that can either be right next to the first side one or rotate 180 degrees to the other side of the block. Need a 15-foot-long cord? String five of ’em together. (BTW, anyone who markets this idea owes me royalties.)

• Strider_MT2K says:

Folks, remain calm, it’s just an extension cord.
    It would be highly stupid to design them any other way than the one that already works.

No magic here, just a different looking design for euro plugs that’s all.

I have the American version outside running my Christmas lights.

Please, please, make an orderly exit through the big doors, no reason for rushing, no reason to panic.

• David R says:

These have existed for a long time. For those of you that want a three prong (NEMA 5-15R) check this web site:

• Heuljunge says:

I think it will never pass the VDE and CE (electrical safety) tests in Europe.
    In Germany I can not believe it will pass the test. But it looks very nice. I like this minimal design.

• esteban says:

it seems that this one would work with three pronged appliances. the prong will just rest along side the cable where it seems there is a sliht groove or bend inwards. we do it all the time with adapters when we are traveling.

• EricIvar says:

I have one of these with the three prong Edison connection.
    They are pretty nifty.
    Its just an extension cord.

• Indraunt says:

A flexible powerboard is a fantastic concept, and one I always wonder about its non-existence. I’m sure everyone has at least a few things in the house that have a bulky power brick at the end of its cord – ever noticed how plugging one into a powerboard means nothing can be plugged into the outlets on either side? A flexible board would be an ideal solution.

• Drewdraw2 says:

I have to say, I had no idea this existed, but now that I do I imagine I’ll be buying several of them.
    New or not, I’m glad he posted it so I found out about this wonderful extension cord from the future.

• Coolrepublica says:

I like this idea. Too often I had to unplug something important so I could plug something else on an extension plug. I hope they succeed in perfecting it.

• Krasnoderevshik says:

An item like this has been available at Home Depot for years (yellow/black $50 for 50 odd feet with 8 foot spacing for outlets) and it works very well.
    Incidentally, if you were to look inside your wall, you’d see that the power outlets along your walls are wired exactly like this.

• Emoshunz says:

great idea, not for every situation, but a power bar definitely isn’t either. needs a 3 prong version for sure.

• KC2IDF says:

There’s no reason this shouldn’t work. I think it looks like it would be great awkward with European class II plugs, as shown in the photo. What is more likely to be encountered, though, seems like it would be more awkward.

UK-style plugs would turn this thing into a monster. European class I plugs would be not quite as ungainly, but close. US or Aussie plugs would probably be okay, but not great.

• sadi야인 says:

Really cool~
    This concept is RED DOT Concept Award 2007 Winner…

• sadi야인 says:

Really cool~
    This concept is RED DOT Concept Award 2007 Winner…

• andre says:

they already have a plug like that, it has the one on the end and 2 along the lenth of it here is a pic

• andre says:

i tried posting a pic dont know if it worked

• Badon says:

Add a safety fuse to your device. It seems not.

• caio viola says:

E’ un ottima idea, come è gia stato detto dalla redazione di Ict.blog manca la connessione di terra e la spina maschio deve ,per motivi di sicurezza entrare completamente all’interno della presa femmina.
    Io farei terminare l’estremità del cordone/ciabatta con un’altra presa (Come se fosse una semplice prolunga ) in modo di poterla allungare facilmente a piacimento ed utilizzarla magari per usi “natalizi” ed altro.

• DREW JOHNSON says:

I believe that this concept is nearly identical to my thesis done at CIA which placed in last years international housewares show…if you dont believe me you can look it up. And this idea of electrical convienance is very possible…you can check out my project online by typeing 2007 international housewares show 2007 student winners.

• divyang says:

it is very good design and it is also useful every one.
    thank you for this idea to share every one

• is it a good idea? no.
    is it save the cost? no.
    is it safer than output? no.

• Really nice, instead of that would hide the table all the wires they can be put on display. Beauty 5 points

• tom shen says:

very googd, it’s a nice !

• powercord says:

This is a beautiful design! How can I get one!

• but .. can it be american plug ?

• acpowercord says:

it has been made very beautiful!

• power cord says:

it’s good info!

• POWER-CORD says:

Where is there the products ?

• POWER-CORD says:

Where is there the products ?

• the jump starter use 3X6.0 cable !

• the jump starter use 3X6.0 cable !

• Bailey says:

Not grounding equipment (using the “third prong”) is extremely dangerous. When using this technique, ask yourself if a mild convenience is truly worth the life of a loved one.

European equipment with two prong plugs is made safe by other means than a grounding conductor, but if the device has three prongs, the grounding conductor is required for sufficient protection from shock or fire.

• Bailey says:

• Power cord says:

we are the power cord manufacturer and this is really goods design? can we produc them with OEM

• Powsolec says:

we are one of the biggest power cord,ac power supplier and your idea give us much imagination and hope we can develope more new stype items with material saving

• We are producing many kinds of such extension cords with middle outlets and you can log on our website for more information

• power cord says:

It is good design and can we contact with you ?

• Power Cord says:

China power cord manufacturer providing qualified power cord products

• Williams says:

As you will not be allowed to leave on your own or perhaps travel once you have the surgical procedure.
    In Los Angeles, rhinoplasty surgeons undergo meticulous scholastic
    and practical training. With Rhinoplasty, there are the potential risks of
    postoperative bleeding, infection, adverse reaction towards the general anesthesia, scars, buying a hole inside septum, referred to as
    a septal perforation or deformity.

• power-cords says:

European equipment with two prong plugs is made safe by other means than a grounding conductor, but if the device has three prongs, the grounding conductor is required for sufficient protection from shock or fire , I think this is right !

• This continually is amazing to me how bloggers such as yourself can find the time and also the dedication to keep on creating fantastic blog posts. This is wonderful and one of my have to read on the web. I simply want to say thanks