Platonic Chess by Patricia Tower

In Platonic Chess, designer Patricia Tower was inspired by the chemical powers of the five platonic solids in correlation to traditional chess pieces. The queen, the most powerful piece, is represented by the “buckyball,” the structure for Carbon 60, essential in the discovery on nanotechnology. Tower entered the dimensions of each piece into the computer program Solidworks. The different polyhedron forms of her design were produced with her school’s 3-D printer, whose head releases and adhesive that bonds plaster to conform to the computer model. After being glued, sanded, primed and spray painted, the plaster chess pieces resemble plastic-molded toys. The board is Plexiglas.

Designer: Patricia Tower

• Max says:

Can I buy one?

• Stainless Steel Bisc says:

A functional board would be nice. Perhaps the paint scheme could be preserved by using a checkerboard pattern of contrasting finishes, maintaining some of the design.

• Patricia Tower says:

If you look closely, the spaces are dictated by small dots instead of squares. Sorry its hard to see in the photo…i really should put in a closeup as well. I decided to do this to continue with my concept of the design throughout…

• Stainless Steel Biscuit says:

• Patricia Tower says:

• The board actually is functional…the spaces are made up of dots instead of the traditional squares. Unfortunately Yanko did write this in their description and the spots are too hard to see in the photograph. Thank you for checking out my design!

• Alex McFadden says:

That is unreal Patricia; it’s beautiful.

• Marty says:

Can you tell me how to purchase this chess set ? I collect many chess sets and this is a stunning masterpiece ! Please use my email provided to get in touch
    [email protected]
    Director of IT
    Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technology

• Marina says:

How can I purchase this set? I wanna gift it for Christmas! Please rely, this is truly awesome!

• Marco says:

How can I buy this chess set please let me know I can’t find it anywhere
    Marco

• Meag says:

Hello, I’m interested in purchasing this chess set. Is it for sale still?