An Empty Bottle Gets A New Purpose In Life

What good is an empty discarded glass bottle? It only deserves to go back to the recycle bin! NOOO! Wait, don’t give up as yet, invert it over the “Re:fill Chime Bell And Lights” and see it dazzle on your restaurant table! The concept is this: you’re in the restaurant waiting for the waiter to show up to take your order, frantic waving and subtle gestures aren’t working. Use this ingenious gadget to attract the guy’s attention: order = pink light; water = blue light and bill = green light. Sneaky me is never gonna hit the bill button!

Designer: Doyeop Kim

refill_bell

refill_bell2

refill_bell3

Re:fill Chime Bell And Lights For Restaurants by Doyeop.Kim

• Lamah says:

The principle is sound – give customers a nice easy way of signalling for attention. But if I saw something that outlandish on my desk I’d never guess what it was for, I think I’d be afraid to touch it! :)

• flaws: Dark beer bottles wont reflect light properly
    The remaining liquid in the bottle(and there will be unless you have it dry for 4 hours) will run down the bottle neck and either flow into the holes that emit the light, or get stuck by the lamp until you pull the bottle of at whic point it will flow all the way to the buttons making them sticky and potntially breaking the internal electronics.

• Luke says:

Why would you use a dark bottle, why would you not clean the bottle, and why would this not be sufficiently well sealed?

• Well I asume this is intended to save bottles so you would want to drink a beer and then take the bottle and stick it on there so then there would be no way to clean the bottle before putting it on there and even of it’s sealed it would still be sticky.

• Luke says:

This is a decorative fixture. The patron doesn’t put the bottle on the device. That’s just plain unhygenic.

Getting the bottle on would be really simple. Waiter pick up the bottle, pot scrubber cleans out the bottle, bottle goes on the platter. The bottle doesn’t even need to be filled with anything for the light to work.

Really, this concept is about as straightforward as they get. It doesn’t take much imagination to understand it.

• Eric Foor says:

It’s cool but there’s no real point considering the restaurant owner could just put lights above the table. You also have to consider that if the bottle fell off, it could break. People could possibly get cut from the broken glass as well.

• Luke says:

That’s like saying wine glasses have no place in a restaurant, because broken glass might injure the patrons.

• Me Here says:

Wine glasses serve a function that can’t really be done in a different way while maintaining a concept of being attached to any kind of tradition properly Luke, so really it’s not anything like wine glasses.

This is some dumb, trash on your table, kitsch. You could have some prosthetic ass above the table fart out Morse code too, but that’s not quite the point.

If you have to push a button to signal someone, how good of care are they taking of you and what kind of gratuity should be expected? Hell, why signal anybody that you need anything? Go to McDonalds with a prostitute and call it a night.

This is the hands-down dumbest idea I’ve seen in a long while.

• elenfae says:

i take it either you’ve worked in the service industry and are bitter about it or you’ve never worked in the service industry and don’t know how challenging it can be to take care of multiple large parties of people that, when you’re going to one table to bring them something, the other 7 tables stop you to ask for something else. it’s nice to just be patient and ask for whatever it may be when they get there, and not when they’re trying to take care of the rest of the tables. i think this is a wonderful idea that should be looked into by more companies. if you don’t like waiting or getting good service or leaving good tips, maybe mcdonalds with a prostitute is the better place for you.

• Lisa says:

I have actually seen very similar lights before. Of course they weren’t color coded. We had a what looked like a candle holder with a built in lighting fixture that was attached to a button. This button was used to click for clapping after entertainment performed by repeatedly clicking it and also to call the waitresses in between acts by just leaving it on.

• Luke says:

Can’t say I think this would be particularly tasteful, but the basic idea is a pretty sound one, in my opinion.

• very unstable, one jiggle and whammo

• Luke says:

Can’t be any more unstable than a wine glass or a flower vase. One would only need to be sure the base is heavy enough.

• IF the bottle is attached to the base mechanically. If its loose then you have a very unstable item.

• 42 says:

Actually, no. if you look at the length of the prong, and the diameter of the mouth of the bottle, there is little chance of it falling off so easily. Sure it may be a bit askew but other than that, the bottle itself is perfectly safe.

• April says:

Pretty nice post. I just came across your site and wanted to say
    that I’ve really liked browsing your posts. Anyway
    I’ll be subscribing to your blog and I hope you post again soon!

• Christine says:

I really like the idea of having some sort of colour coded light fixture to get a server’s attention, waving our hands in the air for 5 minutes just doesn’t work. The concept is great, but the beer bottle design is horrible.

• Molasses Fatts says:

I would steal that if i saw that at an applebees.

• mr fatts is a degene says:

if you are not at applebees eating, what freakin use do you have for it… do the world a favor and walk off of a very high cliff.

• mr fatts is a degenerate klepto says:

• Paula says:

This is just rude. If the server is not coming to your table, it’s because she/he is busy. People need to stop being so needy and realize that they are not the only customers in the whole restaurant. If you are that pathetic that you can’t wait 3min to put in your order and need the server’s full attention, then rent out the whole restaurant for yourself.

• duder says:

by no means is it rude. some of us who eat out with friends enjoy shooting the bull a little as we decide what to eat. sometimes it takes a little longer to decide on a meal than the servers would prefer and it becomes annoying to be asked if we are ready 4 or 5 times in 10 minutes, which can be reflected through tipping (or lack thereof due to a less than pleasant dining experience). this is a great idea that will be good for those that immediately know what they want or those who may not, just turn turn light on whenever you are ready.

• tommy says:

OK I still remember El Chico Mexican restaurant where they had the little flag you ran up the pole if you needed the server.

El Chico
    A Mexican food tradition since 1940 has grown
    into more than 75 restaurants, including more than
    25 franchise locations. The El Chico story began
    when Adelaida Cuellar’s homemade tamales drew
    huge crowds at a small county fair in 1926. Her sons opened a cafe in Dallas, following their mother’s recipes for enchiladas with chile con carne sauce. Today, El Chico is still serving top-quality Mexican food favorites with fresh new specialties of today.

• robb says:

i think i’ll focus more on the light than my food for the whole dinner.
    awesome.

• Julius Lim says:

Kim , i kinda like your idea on this. Cos me myself , I have thought of sumthing like this either. Well , sum restaurants are darn busy and noisy , and u wouldnt want to shout and raise your hand like monkey to ask for attention. SUmthing like this is very useful. Hm.. i think putting it at a more significant places will be much better! :)

• Bobby says:

recycling objects that are mere wastes …

PET and glass bottles … nice idea

• Chris Ronk says:

Pretty cool idea. But do you really need the bottle to make this work?

• Marchforsanity? says:

Everybody's getting pretty worked up over an inverted glass bottle and some buttons.

• Marchforsanity? says:

• Diana Cahill says:

I'm interested in this calling system, do you have it for sale?

• Diana Cahill says:

I'm interested in this calling system, do you have it for sale?

• zarah says:

hello, i am a GCSE ICT student and the coursework is on upcycling, i would like to use this picture for my work, The work will be credited and sourced, Please an you get back to me as soon as possible, Many Thanks.

• zarah says:

• nazi says:

alright, debby downer. and i dont think they intend on the customer to be the one to put the bottle on the light. it would be a recycled clean bottle. so shut the fuck up, know it all.

• the dude. says:

nobody cares about El Chico. shut up.

• Joe says:

It depends on what kind of restaurant you have. If it’s a classy place with an older customer base that appreciates traditional standards, this would not be well received. However, if it’s a new place with a young customer base, it would be an excellent way to differentiate your restaurant and give people something to remember you by. In either case, I don’t think this idea could be considered bad in anyway. It sounds pretty awesome to me.

• So many places need this.

• Cool idea..Incredible 😉

• Kat says:

I heard that milk jugs are really good at emitting light. Could use one of the half gallon ones.