WHY WE REALLY FEAR NEEDLES…

The Dutch Danes really have a thing about needles. So bad is the problem with bloody or possibly HIV infected needles being found throughout city centers, parks, beaches and stair wells, that there is actually need for this device. It’s called the Urban Needle Box by Hån Pham, and this Zippo Lighter sized storage container is simple in design but tackles a complex and growing drug problem worldwide. As a convenient and clearly marked receptacle for used needles, the makers of the Urban Needle Box hope it to be a ubiquitous item in any drug abusers inventory.

CORRECTION. Here is information from the designer: Vesterbro is a town part in Copenhagen which has lived with this problem for more than 30 years. This is an area where drug dealers, drug abusers, prostitutes, drunks and homeless people live their lives along side with young middle-class families and their small children. Everyday, thousands of bloody needles and syringes are to be found on the street, children’s playgrounds, private staircases and backyards, etc. More than 90% of the entire drug abusers in the area are infected by Hepatitis C. Urban Needle Box’s goal is to clear the city for used and infectious needles. This way, it will provide safety for the families and their children living in the area.

Urban Needle Box is a pilot project. It will be launched next week in Copenhagen. It’s a cooperation between me and the Copenhagen City Council, supported by TrygFonden (a Danish Foundation).

Designer: Han Pham

• Region2 says:

Well, drugs aside, this wouldn’t be a bad option for those that require needs to maintain their health, such as those with diabetes. And it’d be nice to find needles in these than on the beaches.

• paul sandip says:

i like it. : )

• guest says:

What could be done, is paying addicts for returning a full box and emptying it at the place where they get more drugs (methadon).

• Kendra68 says:

I bet all drug addicts will want this! Great concept, but how many will remember to use it. Or if they do use it, how many will tear the box apart to reuse the needles?

• harley says:

This is really good, but this is great for dugs adiccted. I like it but I think this must to be only for hospitals!

• Ernie says:

infected needles being found throughout city centers, parks, beaches and stair wells, that >there is actually need for this device.”>

Rather ignorant view on dutch society dont you think ? Have you ever been here ?

Yes , I am dutch and can assure you finding needles in public area’s is by far not as common as you seem to believe.

Regards

Ernie

• Bigfatbill says:

Not all needle users are drug addicts. I take 5 injections a day because of diabetes. I would love a device like this.

• Zenpoet says:

I love that someone is attempting to help out a bad situation, but I can see these being used as a probable cause jump for law enforcement. (at least until the Supremes smack that down, but that can take ages.)

And my diabetic sister might get handcuffed because she has her bright yellow needle disposal case sitting in plain sight in the backseat of her car.

• dijital101 says:

Like said before, this would be excellent for diabetics and absolutely worthless for junkies. If junkies are already tossing their needles wherever they want why would they start caring about where they leave their needles just because they have a plastic box given to them by the cdc.

• Hân Pham says:

Believe it or not, but this is actually requested by the drug addicts themselves. They are aware of the problem and would like to deal with it. I've worked with the drug addicts on this design solution. I've focused on their habits and needs. I've not listnened to what they say, but have observed what they do. My design is based on what they do. The pilotproject will show whether the drug addicts really live up to it or not. As designer and citizent, I can only hope for the best.

• Hân Pham says:

Believe it or not, but this is actually requested by the drug addicts themselves. They are aware of the problem and would like to deal with it. I’ve worked with the drug addicts on this design solution. I’ve focused on their habits and needs. I’ve not listnened to what they say, but have observed what they do. My design is based on what they do. The pilotproject will show whether the drug addicts really live up to it or not. As designer and citizent, I can only hope for the best.

• chetan sorab says:

It will surely create a positive impact.

• Fr3ak says:

I’m pretty sure junkies care for the environment and public safety

• Fr3ak says:

…and can you even use that when you’re high?

• Freddy says:

Please your information about; factory, agent, distributor the ” URBAN NEEDLE BOX”.

Thank you for your kind attention.

Best Regards, Freddy – INDONESIA

• ozkan says:

very useful concept i can easily see this being big at work and schools