Spearheading the electric vehicle movement on an international scale, Tesla went from being a simple battery-manufacturing company to a company that single-handedly created the electric-car industry, forcing a lot of companies to adopt electric transportation. Founded and run by Elon Musk, Tesla has broken several barriers, becoming perhaps a household name in the electric vehicle world. The company’s gone from designing and manufacturing small roadsters to large sedans and even a semi-truck that doesn’t just help people move, but helps goods move too, at fairly high speeds, while still being energy efficient. Having been the only car company to have a vehicle sent to Mars, Tesla sure knows how to create waves backed by an incredibly competent engineering team and also driven fiercely by a strong design development team. Tesla is looking for a CMF Designer to join their headquarters in Hawthorne, California.
As a Color, Material, and Finish Designer at Tesla’s Design Studio you will be responsible for the concept, development and design of color, material, and finish for future Tesla vehicles, accessories, and energy products. You will be a part of a team that creates and execute world-class products in terms of form, function, and luxury.
You will be involved in every aspect of the CMF design process. This includes trend research, analysis and translation, mood and story creation, material innovation, development of CMF strategy, and execution of final color, materials, and finishes for production.
Success as a CMF Designer at Tesla requires a demonstrated ability to create compelling and innovative solutions that push boundaries, while collaborating with global suppliers and cross-functional teams to ensure successful implementation into production. As a contributing member of our Team, you hold superior standards for quality and attention to detail, have a keen eye for sophisticated design, build strong relationships with other team members, and are comfortable operating in a fast-paced and dynamic work environment.
• Ideate, visualize, and develop design proposals for colors, materials, and finishes for Tesla designs.
• Develop digital and physical CMF presentations that show a future vision for Tesla designs.
• Collaborate and strategize with cross functional teams, including design and manufacturing, to implement production of final CMF designs.
• Analyze and approve color, materials, and finishes for all vehicle exterior and interior surfaces.
• Guide design execution of colors, materials, and finishes for both prototype and production vehicles.
• Establish and maintain relationships with suppliers and vendors. Includes identifying new resources for materials to ensure innovative designs.
• Independently source and maintain a comprehensive internal library of inspirational, advanced, and relevant materials and finishes.
• Manage design intent through color tuning and material mastering all commodities.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Design, Textile Design, Color and Material Design, or the equivalent in professional experience with evidence of exceptional ability.
• 4+ years of CMF experience, preferably within the automotive OEM space.
• Must have demonstrable technical knowledge of mass production, manufacturing processes, and materials.
• Demonstrate high color acuity and ability to pass the Munsell Hue Color Test with a perfect score.
• Excellent at creating and maintaining cross-functional working relationships.
• Exceptional visual, communication, and presentation skills.
• Proficient in Photoshop, Illustrator, and Microsoft Office.
• Must be self-motivated, adaptable, flexible, and able to manage multiple parallel-path projects.
• Demonstrate an ability to deliver successful designs under tight timing constraints and provide examples of such scenarios throughout career.
• * All candidates MUST submit a portfolio/personal website to be considered for this position.
Hawthorne (California), USA.
Check out all the latest design openings on Yanko Design Job Board
Or recruit your ideal candidate by posting a job here!