The Foolproof Lock

My bike got stolen! Been there, done that; so the focus has to be on how do we stop these bicycle thieves from getting creative at picking locks? Simple, let’s make it a foolproof locking system. Which is why the Saddle Lock looks to be a superb solution. You can quickly lock the bike by pushing back the seat into the locking position and make a quick stop to get your coffee.

Saddle Lock provides a way to quickly lock the rear wheel without the need for additional locking accessories. The seat post swings down around the main frame when a button is pushed. The saddle features a cut-away shape that allows it to sit over the rear wheel. A combination lock allows the release of a special alloy rotating lock that extends from one end of the saddle to the other, securing its connection to the wheel.

Saddle Lock is a 2012 red dot award: design concept winner.

Designers: Lee Sang Hwa, Kim Jin Ho & Yeo Min Gu

• Quintin Smits says:

That frame will bend, first time you ride it over a bump in the road.

Also, no way to raise or lower the saddle. You could replace the entire thing, but too short or too long and the lock wouldn’t reach the wheel..

That pivot also better be incredibly strong, imagine it flipping backwards by accident…

• Jeremiah says:

I think this concept can realized and I would doubt (even though it is possible), that pivots would be an issue. In terms of having a adjustable seat, I think it’s completely possible if a second pivot is added beneath the seat that can also lock into place; that way, if the seat is made higher or lower, it can tilt back and forth when not in use, in order to still attach to the back wheel.

My concern is the damage that could be done to the wire on the back wheel over time, but I think that can be solved with a different approach to it as well, with more durable material of course.

Again, this is completely feasible, but you’re right to bring up concerns in order the designer to work out said, “bump”(s) in the road.

• Barry R says:

Just had a look at my bike to see how this would work. It wouldn’t. If you’ve got mudguards, or wide tyres and a narrow saddle, or a rear luggage ruck, you are stuffed. A quick look at bikes in the Real World (as opposed to CGI Land where this designer lives) would see that 99% of Real World bikes couldn’t use this.

• Barry R says:

I’ve seen a much better design years ago. This was attached to the seattube below the saddle in the main triangle of the frame, and locked the wheel there. No moving parts (except the lock loop), fixed in place so you can’t forget it when you go out, no interference with mudguards or rear racks. And it was real and not CGI. Doesn’t stop someone picking up the bike and running off though.

• Steven Edwards says:

I think it as pinched the dutch style of wheel-lock.with a quirky twist.

• Lion says:

Easy to improve somebody un m’y classroom did thé same project
    But better

• Marcel says:

As pointed out, the frame will break. Probably at the crank, because that is where the stress point is.

Also, this locking mechanism does not immobilize the bike. In other words, if you have a lorry, you can simply lift it in the back in 0.5 seconds and take all the time in the world unlocking it at a private location.

And I wouldn’t trust that steering pedestal for a minute.

• Paul R says:

As a design, it looks novel but the bike geometry is wrong and suspect the frame would buckle. If I were a bike thief I wouldn’t bother stealing it as it wouldn’t be something to last, more of a thing to look at

• Kitshwa says:

Could the would be thieve not just pick it up and run away…?

• Herbie says:

Why not just a frame mounted lock? Also this does still mean the bike can be taken away as its not locked to anything. I can see a different height saddle would just mean the saddle reached the wheel at a different point / angle, so not too much of a problem there, but you do need to micro-adjust a saddle height until it is exactly right for you. This seems elegant, but just not really practical or desirable for most cyclists.

• Herbie says:

Precisely – what was wrong with those?

• Quintin Smits says:

The hole in the saddle for the tire and rim would have to be significantly bigger to have the wheel pass through it at a different angle. If the post wasn’t to short or long for it to reach the wheel at all. You’d have to make many different frame sizes for many different saddle heights to make this work just right.

There have been frame mounted wheel locks with holes for an extra attached cable lock for a long time. I’ve had one of those on my bike for many years.
    Prevents thieves with vans from driving up and just loading a bunch of bikes in the back and driving off (used to happen quite frequently at the building I live in…).

• scam says:

You guys are all wrong about this, according to Red Dot this deserves an award.

• RED DOT says:

The RED DOT agrees, and is never wrong

• Quintin Smits says:

I’ve just had a look at the Red Dot online exhibition, there are so many ‘winners’ from 2012, it looks like they just gave up and made everyone a winner…

• Jake says:

Thnaks for the information..

• soufiane says:

i like your comment always giving worses points, i will give you my idees to and i want the same traitment if it possible.
    tanks

• takeshi says:

How does this bike stand?

• These are actually enormous ideas in on the topic of blogging.

You have touched some nice points here. Any way keep up wrinting.

• dave says:

Come on
    I try to imagine my bloody ass on this saddle 🙂
    Morever it could be usefull to tell that you have to move everytime) the seatpost to reach the rear wheel( everyone has a different height of saddle.
    This could be an individual first year personal.

• dave says:

why did you re-desig an ugly bike just for a lock ?
    do you really think people will buy an entire bike just for a lock ?
    This is not product design, take time to observ, understand business and user before to start a concept
    Like the old number lock system 🙂