Making ‘Make Do and Mend’ Fashionable

I have my moments of fighting the needle and thread, trying to mend some ripped clothes, but they always seem to get the better of me. Simply put, I HATE mending clothes and much rather replace them with new than pick an odd stitch. I know its wasteful, but unless someone makes it easy for me…simple as the Alto Sewing Machine, I ain’t fixing another ripped stitch!

As the designer explains, “to simplify threading, a metal guide runs from reel to needle for the user to follow. Speed is controlled by pressing with the fingers through the fabric and the patented force sensor technology in a rubber foot underneath the machine allows the beginner to control speed from whichever hand position they find most comfortable. A flexible drive shaft replaces the traditional pulley system to form Alto’s distinctive arch, increasing room for the fabric and improving visibility of the sewing area.”

Designer: Sarah Dickins

You need to a flashplayer enabled browser to view this YouTube video

• John says:

This design is gorgeous! Finally a sewing machine design that can be displayed and used oppoed to the large chunk of plastic that needs to be hidden under a cover and stuffed in a closet. There should be a lot of interest from all the casual cuff menders in the world. Nice work.

• alumiere says:

Is this available for us to check out and/or buy in the US? I love to sew, but I have problems with it due to a disability and this seems like it might be a good solution for days when things aren’t working right.

• dan levy says:

beautiful design¡¡¡¡¡¡

• Bea Lahoz says:

Where can I buy this? I really want one.

• Maryline says:

Beautiful design! it saves space, and it’s beautiful to look at; and since it’s beautiful one might not even want to store it away, and display it instead.

• Melissa says:

where can we buy this!? I want one!

• Ingrid Bird says:

Fantastic design! Please let me know where I can buy this!

• Karen says:

Great concept, beautiful design!!!

• Quintin Smits says:

It looks really (really!) good.

I just have my doubts about the force/speed sensor in the base. You have to press down on your work to get the machine to sew faster?

• kim says:

I hate seeing this stuff and then not being able to buy it. What’s the point?

• tere says:

very nice, but no way to purchase 🙁

• CoudreMode says:

Yes it’s beautiful but as sewer I must say it looks under powered, slow and not capable of sewing any fabric other than quilting cotton. Could it sew silk charmeuse, brocade or leather? Doubt it. I also think her approach feels like a first world solution to a really trivial issue that’s not a problem to begin with. Modern sewing machines are easy to thread – a child can do it.

• William says:

What makes it go? Magic? I’m rather turned off by the extreme effort put into hiding the power cord. What’s up with that?

• Beverly Bigby says:

I really want one of these. How do I get one, or 2, or 3. My daughter & her Mother in law want one too. My daughter’s Mother in law & I think it would be great for quilting, taking it to retreats, & quilting classes. My daughter would like it for the ease in threading. How awesome is this machine.
    I do have 2 questions;
    1. What price do you have planned for it.
    2. Tell me about the bobbin area. On this website it is hard to tell anything about it.
    Thanks
    Bev

• A. Wolfff says:

Typically feminine design! More emotional than practical.

The problem with the flexible shaft is that it can be twisted. Then the needle is not exactly always there where it should be …

I like my Pfaff sewing machine from the 60’s because it works!

• Jesy says:

Is this just a straight stitch machine? I can’t see anything that would allow back-stitching or even a zigzag stitch. It seems to be more of a decoration than an actual machine that could be used for more than light mending.

From the pictures all I can really tell from my years of sewing is that I couldn’t really sew anything together. If threading a machine is this what is going to sell this machine, there are self threading machines out there that are not hard to set up. Also anyone that sews, they don’t keep their machine under the stairs in a box.

I would tell anyone interested in this machine to really check out the specs of the machine, unless you are just looking for a beautiful piece of art to display, this machine will probably not be what you are expecting.

Just my opinion.. not enough information here to make a educated purchase.

• Kristy says:

It certainly looks interesting especially with the larger area in the throat. My quilters eyes love that. I wonder though how the pressure would work through something think like a quilt, how you both press at the edge and move the item through and where is the bobbin, is there a bobbin.

Love to know more, like if it is possible to see in person!?!

• Rajeev Sadhwani says:

I’m from sewing machine trade since 30 years, & surely can say that this machine is a sewing machine is a marvel. I’m more interested in buying one but there is no way available .
    I’d be very much thankful if I can contact the person who made this machine, as well i’m looking for the official website of Alto Sewing Machine .
    If anyone can please help me on this……….

• Rajeev Sadhwani says:

I’m from sewing machine trade since 30 years, & surely can say that this machine is a marvel. I’m more interested in buying one but there is no way available .
    If anyone can please help me on this……….

• This looks amazing, where is it available to buy? Is it available in the UK?

• Martin V. says:

want to buy it, how this product is sold or where? really want to buy it.

• Esmeralda says:

spendid sewing machine i would purchase one right away if it was available , however what kind of bobbin does it use and where do wind the bobbin at?

• Esme says:

Lovely, I want one , where do you wind the bobbin at and what kind of bobin do you use?

• Chris Moffitt says:

Wow when can I buy one?

• RJ says:

Ok!.. Nice description of the product. Now tell us where to purchase it from.

• Chris says:

I really want to buy this. Please contact me if it’s for sale.

• Dolo1123 says:

Let me know where and when I can purchase this sewing machine! Love love love it!
    It’s all one ever needs.

• Melissa says:

Where to purchase???

• sonia says:

When is this. Alto sewing machine. Going to be for sale. And where so i can buy one

• Heather says:

I hope that the same individuals who are frightened by a standard machine pedal (“it ran away on me”) don’t drive. It’s the same concept as an accelerator pedal in a car.

The machine’s beautiful and strikes me as a modern take on a very early straight-stitch Singer. I don’t see reference to a bobbin, so I’m wondering if this is a chain stitch machine.

• Its like you read my mind! You appear to know
    so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something.
    I think that you can do with some pics to drive the message home a little bit, but other than that,
    this is excellent blog. A great read. I will definitely
    be back.

• SewCrafty1 says:

I’ve used several different makes and models of sewing machines for over 40 years, without problems. If this one is affordable, then at least my students won’t be afraid of it.

• Sometimes a chain of events triggers a multiple-car pile-up.

The problem with that is, you will end up not getting a dime when you need to make a claim.
    But, you should keep in mind that purchasing online is not always the
    safest option.

• Fidel says:

The renovations could even potentially add value to your home.

If it is safe to enter, it is ok to remove photos, documents and other
    items. Save up and pay cash if you are unable to charge and pay off the amount
    in full at the end of the month.

• Different companies will offer different terms and conditions, with the age of your
    car also a significant factor. It covers damages to your own
    vehicle or injury to self. That doesn’t mean that you should only look at your current provider, as there is a possibility that other companies provide cheaper rates.

• Elijah says:

Your insurance is a safety net for when things go wrong and giving insurers a reason to whisk that safety net away from you
    when you need it most can be a very painful experience.

If the reason for cancellation was due to non-payment, being
    reinstated with your former insurer is most likely out of the question, and going with a new one may require
    upfront payment of the full premium. It will absolutely benefit
    both the insurers and more importantly the person who chooses to be insured by them.

• meliannaa says:

Where do you get that thing!

• Brian Wheatt says:

Omg I so want this sewing machine can someone tell me where I can get this?????????????? Thanks!

• E Garat says:

I want to buy the ALto sewing machine !!!